Quickbars for all

Rylorn

I believe every player should have access to all quickbars. I don't think that is a smart way to divide the free, preferred and subscription players. I'm on board with pretty much everything else. Restrictions are essential because this game wasn't originally designed as free to play, and what was created, needs to be purchasable compartmentally. I get that. However, this one thing with the quickbars is overstepping.

Here is what we have currently, correct me if I'm wrong:

2 default quickbars for free players (option to purchase all)

2 default quickbars for preferred players (option to purchase all)

6 default quickbars for subscribers

With 2 bars, a level 50 player can get most of their combat abilities on screen in the most compact setup. Things like stances, a few cooldowns, mount, consumables will likely need to be clicked from the abilities menu or from inventory. There won't be space to have a quickbar with purely out of combat abilities, or to organize skills in a non-standard way.

I'm not sure the one who decided on this quickbar limitation understands how lame that is, and how much of a turn off that will be to players returning to the game. Putting quick travel next to your attacks, that is insane! Going into a menu to click consumables or change your stances, those things should be easy to access. Unlocking this restriction doesn't seem like a perk, it's removing something very negative. This isn't a special service, or piece of gear, or vanity item, or game content, its the @#$%^&(&^ interface! End this madness!

The extra quickbars should not be an option left to individual players. Being able to control one's character is central to the experience and should be apart of the base game. There is nothing worse than when a game controls poorly. If new players run out of space to put skills, they won't last.

Think also about returning players, who will come back as preferred players, with no bonus cartel coins from having previously subscribed, and they come back to an interface that can't mimic their old configuration. I think some of them will just log off before trying any of the other cool stuff that has been added while they were away.

Free 2 play is a way to entice new people into subbing for the game. F2P players deserve the bare minimum.

Pretty much this. I think 2 bars will suffice for most F2P (I haven't made it to 50 yet, but at 41 I'm still on 2 bars). If it's not enough, they can always throw a few bucks to get more. I actually think they should only get one slot. That will get them far enough in the game to decide if they like it and then pay a little to get an extra slot.

Free 2 play is a way to entice new people into subbing for the game. F2P players deserve the bare minimum.

This is how SWTOR is treating f2p, which is why it could fail.

Successful f2p is not a trial or a way to punish people until they subscribe. Successful f2p is a way to get players to play the game for free ... and then maybe pay for stuff if they stick around having fun. Successful f2p even loves the players who never pay anything, as they create a vibrant community where everyone is having fun.

Two quickbars is plenty for the "essentials" of the game.

If you want to play for free but want convenience items, you're going to have to pay for them.

The goal of any F2P service is to try to convert the "serious" players to a subscription if for no other reason than to bypass all the restrictions.

Oh here we go again. This has been discussed to death in several threads already and the majority of players feel 2 quickbars are appropriate for f2p/preferred players.

Just stop it. Find something else trivial to complain about.

/thread

To me, this isn't trivial. Even though I plan on subscribing, I know that the free to play restrictions are a big deal. IGN has written several articles about free to play, and changes that have been made. Whichever side of the argument you are on, this matters to the larger gaming community, and potential players.

To me, this isn't trivial.
It isn't trivial to you because you've never had to play with less than 4 bars.

Anyone coming into the game new will not know the difference and will be pleasantly surprised to learn that they can get more.

It might even be enough to make someone rethink dropping from subscriber to preferred.

And, to use your own argument, 2 bars is the bare minimum.

If you want full access, you need to pay for full access.

It isn't trivial to you because you've never had to play with less than 4 bars.

Anyone coming into the game new will not know the difference and will be pleasantly surprised to learn that they can get more.

It might even be enough to make someone rethink dropping from subscriber to preferred.

And, to use your own argument, 2 bars is the bare minimum.

If you want full access, you need to pay for full access.

You are misquoting me.

Shouldn't full access to the interface be part of the bare minimum?

This is what I think you are referring to. Implying all 6 bars is the minimum, not 2.

Edit: For Clarity.

Edited by Rylorn

I find asking for a f2p player who has leveled a toon to level 35-45 or so over the course of several weeks or months, to spend $3 for an extra bar if they feel they need it quite a trivial issue. For new players it shouldn't be an issue.

The problem is with this so-called group of "returning players" who will have the preferred status. They already feel disenfranchised and have a chip on thier shoulder, expecting to be rewarded simply for coming back. How best to handle them I cannot say, but I expect their numbers to be significantly less than the new f2p group.

One thing I can say for certain is these former players did not leave the game due to limited quickbars - it was something else that bugged them. I don't see how this is going to be the deciding factor for them.

I find asking for a f2p player who has leveled a toon to level 35-45 or so over the course of several weeks or months, to spend $3 for an extra bar if they feel they need it quite a trivial issue. For new players it shouldn't be an issue.

The problem is with this so-called group of "returning players" who will have the preferred status. They already feel disenfranchised and have a chip on thier shoulder, expecting to be rewarded simply for coming back. How best to handle them I cannot say, but I expect their numbers to be significantly less than the new f2p group.

One thing I can say for certain is these former players did not leave the game due to limited quickbars - it was something else that bugged them. I don't see how this is going to be the deciding factor for them.

Unless I'm mistaken returning players will receive Cartel Coins for the months that they were subbed to the game before leaving. A good tip for these player coming back to f2p would be to use a few of these coins to unlock those features that they wish to have in their game. A returning player might not have to buy anything with new money, simply rely on previously earned Cartel Coins from being subbed before.

Oh here we go again. This has been discussed to death in several threads already and the majority of players feel 2 quickbars are appropriate for f2p/preferred players.

Just stop it. Find something else trivial to complain about.

/thread

Yeah.

I was thinking that the cat must have left a cookie in his Cherrios this morning... and that he's just projecting because Mom won't let him kick the cat. :p

Unless I'm mistaken returning players will receive Cartel Coins for the months that they were subbed to the game before leaving.

One small correction. Players need an active subscription at the time of the free to play launch in order to receive cartel coins for previous months subscribed.

So here is my question??

Are people really worried about the F2P player, or are they worried about what they will have when they go F2P??

My guess is the latter.. Which explains why this issue keeps comming up, despite Bioware increasing the number of default bars to 2.. Give them an inch and they will demand a mile.. All for the good low price of nothing..

Absolutely not.. 2 bars is enough.. You all can purchase the rest.. :rolleyes:

Not giving everyone at least 4 quickbars is just stupid, because it is pay to compete for the F2P members and the Preferred to stay competitive in PvP. Sure, one can survive without, but I am sure we will read many complains on the PvP forums should this go life, that people don't pass in Huttball (because they just have no space for that on their quichbars), and other things that people who are limited that way are just not as addaptive as subscribers will be in PvP. So, I think this is basically as bad as going pay to win.

Are people really worried about the F2P player, or are they worried about what they will have when they go F2P??
I think that's mostly what you see in most posts of this type.

Either they're trying to lose as little as possible so they can stop paying for a subscription or they are unable to be objective about the situation to realize that most F2Pers will be new to the game and not know any different.

There's no doubt that 1 quickbar wasn't enough because I had it filled by the time I hit level 10 but 2 is plenty for a starting point.

I'm looking at my level 33 character right now and I could absolutely fit everything I need to play with on 2 quickbars.

I could probably put a couple more convenience related things on there if I gave up some powers I almost never use.

The fact of the matter is that if I felt like I needed more quickbars, I'd buy them.

They don't appear to be expensive and that single purchase would upgrade me to Preferred status which comes with all sorts of bonuses on its own and if I'm serious enough about playing the game, I'll spend some money on it.

Not giving everyone at least 4 quickbars is just stupid, because it is pay to compete for the F2P members and the Preferred to stay competitive in PvP.
Not everyone PvP's. What about RPers? Why should they be forced to pay for emotes? Not only that, but they've got a forced chat delay that they can't buy their way around.

That argument is just as valid.

Suck it up and buy some quickbars or subscribe.

And tell me how a developer placing arbitrary, pointless limits (along with the necessary ones) is "enticing" to anyone?

It's not. But since the game wasn't designed as a f2p game, compromises must be made somewhere.

If everyone's suggestion to give the free players more of the options were implemented, there would be no difference between the f2p tier and the sub tier. Nearly every restriction has been argued by someone so far as being to harsh.

As it stands, a new player could play two toons up well into their 40's before hitting any sort of "quickbar roadblock". That's weeks if not months of absolutely free gametime. They won't even have to buy a retail copy of the game to get started. Should they get to play even longer without investing a dime back into the game?

FACT: Not a single player has quit playing the game thus far due to limited quickbar space; they quit for other reasons.

It is pure speculation that only having 2 quickbars will be of any significant influence as to whether any given f2p player decides to continue playing.

Firstly, great constructive post.

I do want to respond to "For new players it shouldn't be an issue." I think that depends on the type of player and what level they reach, and possibly what class they are playing. Some players tend to keybind everything, use various consumables, and some don't. Or may not even slot them because they don't plan on using some skills. For example, a healer that doesn't slot their damage skills to use in a pinch might feel that 2 bars is more adequate. I would argue that a player that is trying to play at a reasonably high level skillwise, while only making a small amount of purchases, must buy the extra quickbars. The quickbars seem like something essential than something "extra."

QFE.

This is the man point. and I totally agree with your statment.