Immortal or Vengeance?

CNS_Sarajevo

Can a Juggernaut be an effective tank if I take the Vengeance skill tree? I started out with Vengeance because I like causing damage more than absorbing it, but the more I read on playing a Juggernaut, the more emphasis I hear on the Immortal tree, since it enables you to absorb more damage.

Thanks...

Many people swear the Immortal/Vengeance hybrid (18/23/0, usually) is the best tank spec in the game. I'd say it's harder to play than full Immortal because of the inferior Rage generation (which can easily lead to inferior threat generation in a less than optimal rotation) but it's your choice.

Full, 31 point Vengeance is no good for tanking, that's a DPS spec.

Many people swear the Immortal/Vengeance hybrid (18/23/0, usually) is the best tank spec in the game. I'd say it's harder to play than full Immortal because of the inferior Rage generation (which can easily lead to inferior threat generation in a less than optimal rotation) but it's your choice.

Full, 31 point Vengeance is no good for tanking, that's a DPS spec.

As written. Crushing blow AoE is not very efficient outside of solo pve, and very capricious in term of both your position and the enemies. Main reason to go full immortal is the top of the tree is very dedicated to rage generation, making enrage more readily available, and buffing the rate at which soresu generates rage while hit on.

I do plan on eventually giving the hybrid spec a try tough.

I like the hybrid.. but to be honest, for serious tanking I still prefer full Immortal, because more often than not with the groups I run with, its more important that the tank doesn't mess up (we have the DPS and heals to down stuff) than it is that the tank have the absolute best mitigation it can (1 reason to go Hybrid) or squeeze out a tiny bit more threat (the other reason).

Here's the thing, with the hybrid, you mess up on your rotation just a little and you can be forced to waste 3-4 GCD's over a 6 GCD period using Assault just to get back to a manageable level of Rage. With full Immortal, you never get that low, and in fact sometimes have so much extra Rage you'll have time to throw Vicious Slashes in. This is critical when tanking a boss fight with a lot going on (like in an operation), as it means less attention has to be paid to your rotation, and more can be paid to the boss(es) and your surroundings.

Ultimately, if a tank doesn't mess up, most encounters in this game are dependent on the DPS not dying and doing the mechanics properly anyways, and Immortal makes the tank less likely to mess up imo than hybrid.

Also, full Immortal makes tanking trash far easier and less stressful, and while not critical, that counts for something.

All that being said, unless I'm asked to tank an operation, I spend most of my time in full Vengeance and also tank hard modes in full Vengeance, as its more than enough to get the job done in those situations. Using tank gear, you only lose 9% defense and Sonic Barrier for mitigation, and considering hard modes are tuned for people in gear ranging from just below Tionese to Columi, that's not really an issue.