So tired spending hours coming up with a name for my character

RaithHarth

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't had to rename a single character of mine even after 2 different merges because I made sure the names A) were RP friendly (no phrases or real words), and B) unique.

Lashriel

Malathari

Mashrien

These names are never taken because people like the OP misguidely avoid RP names. RP names almost always survive merges and are great since some guild - Jen'Jidai - won't take people with names that aren't RP friendly.

I haven't had to rename a single character of mine even after 2 different merges because I made sure the names A) were RP friendly (no phrases or real words), and B) unique.

Lashriel

Malathari

Mashrien

These names are never taken because people like the OP misguidely avoid RP names. RP names almost always survive merges and are great since some guild - Jen'Jidai - won't take people with names that aren't RP friendly.

I had to rename my main toon when I switched over from Rubat Crystal to Ebon Hawk (I was apart of SWTOR since launch day so I don't know why I had to change), then I discovered I wasn't happy with the name I chosen when I had to rename, so I requested a name reset, well since the merges it's gotten harder to come up with a name you can be happy with and it turns out I'm still struggling with it.

Edited by RaithHarth

There is nothing wrong with naming. I have never needed to resort to apost'rophes or spécial charactérs to get a name I liked. Try the randomizer if you aren't good at thinking of your own.

TOR has a randomizer? And it's not like I am good at coming up with names in fact I'm very good at it, it's just that the names I want to use are usually taken.

I've had to change several names during my two transfers. So I've come up with these totally random and made up names just to go HOW IS THAT ALREADY TAKEN....HOW.

I looked high and low but everything seemed to be taken so I tried latin. I put together two short latin words and BAM, a name.

I looked high and low but everything seemed to be taken so I tried latin. I put together two short latin words and BAM, a name.

This is a good suggestion for the OP. Try to translate the words fitting to your character to different languages. And play with them a bit until you find something that suits you and is not taken.

Likely they can't do this since, if you have no Legacy there would be no means of identifying individual characters. The ability to potentially report a player who has no Legacy name would be lost since there could be 5+ people all with the character name "Revan" and no means of identifying which Revan is being reported (with Legacy no longer unique making character names non-unique would allow griefers to carbon copy the character and Legacy name of another player and make it very difficult catch them due to no unique identifier or result in legit players getting unjustly blacklisted by other players).

The only way non-unique character names would work is if Legacy name was reverted to being unique and chosen at the get go. In such a case Legacy would then function as the character/account identifier instead of individual character name.

Uncommon, rare, or unique aren't a guarantee. When I was unceremoniously dumped onto The Harbinger, I had to re-name my main, who was a character I created for my SWG main's back story several years ago. I didn't think anyone else would use the name, but hey... it happened.

recently though, i've been using the randomizer, well cuz i suck at naming toons, and even that is getting complicated. I get a random name i like and when i try to use it, it says its been used already.

So BW, maybe you need to start looking at random names you've used and make sure ur randomizer doesn't pick them up again... I know, that cant be easy, but its only guna get worst when F2P hits.

So change it now, or at least start coming up with a new naming system.

I had to rename my main toon when I switched over from Rubat Crystal to Ebon Hawk (I was apart of SWTOR since launch day so I don't know why I had to change), then I discovered I wasn't happy with the name I chosen when I had to rename, so I requested a name reset, well since the merges it's gotten harder to come up with a name you can be happy with and it turns out I'm still struggling with it.

The issue here is that although you were part of the game since day one the person who had a duplicate name to you on Ebon Hawk may also have been part of the game since day one (on a different origin server) so this argument is irrelevant. You had to change because there was a duplicate name on the server that you moved to.

I have 16 characters on Jedi Covenant.

Only had to change one (because it wasn't original)

The other 15, ORIGINAL NAMES, were fine.

Maybe you lack creativitey? Or maybe you are trying to get names like "Death" "carnage" "Bob" etc.

Oh and the reason you had to change your toon names.

-You were unsubbed and someone who actually was playing had your name longer.

-They had more playtime on that character then you

-You whine on the forums with no creativitey

TOR's random name gernerator is disabled if you have to change your name due to a server merger, i had two toons that I had to rename and literally spent like an hour and a half renaming one and now im stuck wiith a name im not thrilled about.

Sounds like you aren't creative enough to think of a name you like and that someone hasn't taken. Tips: Try not being KillerGuysith, or Murderman, or some other combination or Killer/Murder/Leet/Pro/Lord/Darth and then a seconday word.

For instance I have a character named Chip, his legacy was then made Hazard and he had a title named Major

Major Chip Hazard

I have 16 characters on Jedi Covenant.

Only had to change one (because it wasn't original)

The other 15, ORIGINAL NAMES, were fine.

Maybe you lack creativitey? Or maybe you are trying to get names like "Death" "carnage" "Bob" etc.

Oh and the reason you had to change your toon names.

-You were unsubbed and someone who actually was playing had your name longer.

-They had more playtime on that character then you

-You whine on the forums with no creativitey

Again, I'm being actually pretty creative, I've been using unique, and rare names even trying different variations for those names yet they seem to be taken too, so excuse me for spending hours and hours trying to figure out a name I would be happy with, it's not my fault the naming policy is flawed.

TOR has a randomizer? And it's not like I am good at coming up with names in fact I'm very good at it, it's just that the names I want to use are usually taken.

You're very good at it? Matter of opinion I think because "RaithHarth" isn't really all that imo. And if you are picking names already used then I guess lots of people are very good at it too.

This community is going to be the death of SWTOR. These responses calling people like the OP uncreative or telling them its their fault for not using alt ASCII characters does not address the issue that there is a problem with naming options. What it does is just frustrate people and cause them to play another game.

Other MMO's less than a year old don't have a threads regarding naming problems.

Don't blame the players. Good successful games with longevity realize that a common customer complaint should be dealt rather ignored and ridiculed by blindly by over zealous fans.

This community is going to be the death of SWTOR. These responses calling people like the OP uncreative or telling them its their fault for not using alt ASCII characters does not address the issue that there is a problem with naming options. What it does is just frustrate people and cause them to play another game.

Other MMO's less than a year old don't have a threads regarding naming problems.

Don't blame the players. Good successful games with longevity realize that a common customer complaint should be dealt rather ignored and ridiculed by blindly by over zealous fans.

Agreed

Actually if Bioware followed the same naming policy as "Pirates of the Burning Sea" it would definitely turn matters into there favor since it would benefit the community the most, and we wouldn't have to fight over names that are already taken, instead if you are playing as Jack Smith, another player could play on the same server as Jack Thomas or John Smith without issue, it would make things so much easier, just as long as the name and surname aren't an exact match to another player.

Edited by RaithHarth

If you're on an RP server, try a short name. They are almost always available since RPers like to have very long names with tons of apostrophes in them. Most of my characters have 6 or less letters in their name and only one of them had to be changed on the server transfer.