How is CM these days?

Talley_Darkstar

So I recently came back to the game and I started up a trooper again. My original character was Combat Medic and was enjoying it, but when CM went to the dogs, I spec'd dps. Has CM gotten any better or would it be better if I went Vanguard?

For PvE a Combat Medic rocks. The healing output if used correctly in the strategies is big.

I am only doing PvE so I will only talk about that part. I have so far healed up to all Hard Mode encounters in Terror from Beyond togheter with a scoundrel. Sunday its time for Nightmare EC.

In general, dont do the healer job that requires a lot of movement. An example can be the two tanks in EC. We let the scoundrel healer do the moving with the blue shields while he heals the dps on that side with his HoT's. I as a trooper position myself on the inside of one of the boss-tanks and heal both our tanks as well as help on dps where needed. You also got quite nice burst potential as long as you keep track of your ammo. You can do some serious burst if you have Recharge Cells up. Nice in hectic moments.

If you know you need to move and heal make sure your instants are up (Tech Override, Kolto Bomb, Bacta Infusion).

And trauma probe rocks. It do amazing healing in some cases like the last boss in Terror from Beyond. The tentacles and boss hits fast and the charges are eaten up really quick. Especially on tentacles. Heals so much that you can run around and dps some adds etc. Just refresh it when needed (which is often on that fight).

In short: Commando Medic rocks healing 2-3 people and burst. Big output. Not that good at moving and healing (why it probably sucks in PvP) just now and then with instants up. When it goes to AoE healing its Sage>scoundrel>medic. Commando Medic is least capable of AoE healing.

For PvE a Combat Medic rocks. The healing output if used correctly in the strategies is big.

I am only doing PvE so I will only talk about that part. I have so far healed up to all Hard Mode encounters in Terror from Beyond togheter with a scoundrel. Sunday its time for Nightmare EC.

In general, dont do the healer job that requires a lot of movement. An example can be the two tanks in EC. We let the scoundrel healer do the moving with the blue shields while he heals the dps on that side with his HoT's. I as a trooper position myself on the inside of one of the boss-tanks and heal both our tanks as well as help on dps where needed. You also got quite nice burst potential as long as you keep track of your ammo. You can do some serious burst if you have Recharge Cells up. Nice in hectic moments.

If you know you need to move and heal make sure your instants are up (Tech Override, Kolto Bomb, Bacta Infusion).

And trauma probe rocks. It do amazing healing in some cases like the last boss in Terror from Beyond. The tentacles and boss hits fast and the charges are eaten up really quick. Especially on tentacles. Heals so much that you can run around and dps some adds etc. Just refresh it when needed (which is often on that fight).

In short: Commando Medic rocks healing 2-3 people and burst. Big output. Not that good at moving and healing (why it probably sucks in PvP) just now and then with instants up. When it goes to AoE healing its Sage>scoundrel>medic. Commando Medic is least capable of AoE healing.

I dunno, my CM is pretty mobile and I've done all content through TFB HM as well. While they may not be as mobile as a scoundrel, that's a far cry from saying it isn't any good at it.

HammerShot, KB, TP, BI account for about 80% of my healing and all of those are instant, but everyone's strategy is different and stat allocation is flexible enough to allow for multiple play-styles.

Okay I'm OBVIOUSLY doing something wrong. I mostly pvp and I play a healing specced commando. I'm wearing war hero ear, implants and augmented bracers, and battlemaster everything else. I usually do between 130-180k healing in a warzone depending on how much I die. I usually can't take anyone down 1v1 and if there's more than one person on me I have absolutely no chance. Yet I come to this thread and I see people talking about how they average 500k healing in warzones and how it takes multiple people forever to kill them and how they usually don't run into anyone who they can't handle. It kinda makes me think people are either embellishing or I'm the worst CM in this game. What exactly am I doing wrong?

When it goes to AoE healing its Sage>scoundrel>medic. Commando Medic is least capable of AoE healing.

have you played a scoundrel?

a scoundrel's AOE does heal twice as much as kolto bomb (with upper hand and the 2-set PVP bonus), but it's on a 15s CD instead of 6s, can't be placed strategically, and doesn't have a buff like kolto bomb's +3% inc healing

i'm not sure how combat medic is only 'at least capable' of aoe healing. they seem about comparable to me.

Okay I'm OBVIOUSLY doing something wrong. I mostly pvp and I play a healing specced commando. I'm wearing war hero ear, implants and augmented bracers, and battlemaster everything else. I usually do between 130-180k healing in a warzone depending on how much I die. I usually can't take anyone down 1v1 and if there's more than one person on me I have absolutely no chance. Yet I come to this thread and I see people talking about how they average 500k healing in warzones and how it takes multiple people forever to kill them and how they usually don't run into anyone who they can't handle. It kinda makes me think people are either embellishing or I'm the worst CM in this game. What exactly am I doing wrong?

Some ppl talk thru their hats on these threads. CM can't self-heal thru the burst damage of multiple dps attackers unless they *really* don't know what they're doing. The experience you describe above is pretty much the reality for all CMs.

^ So you're srsly going to claim that you can routinely heal through the burst damage of multiple well-played mdps classes focussing you? If so, then you're simply not credible.

Even if you manage to off-set incoming dmg for two or three GCDs, the combination of interrupts, stuns and bumps will shut down all but your Bacta Infusion and Kolto Probe insta-heals (assuming BI isn't on cooldown by this point).

Everyone has lucky instances where things come together for them, or when their opponents make big mistakes, but as a general rule the poster I was responding to has characterized the typical CM experience in WZs accurately.

Edited by klham

I'll give you that there are situations where no one would survive and the longer the focus on you goes the lower anyone's survivability falls to zero. But that isn't a slam on CM, that is fact of any class.

I am saying I would take a CM over just about any class, definitely other heal classes, in a burst/focus situation.

It came off as an L2P comment. I'm glad you like CM, and I like it too. Btw, other healing classes have escape mechanics to fall back on (AoE mez, stealth, force speed, etc). A CM has to sit there and face-tank and hope to be rescued. I'm sure you know this.

My general observation on the commando threads is that players who *accurately* describe the typical performance of their AC in pug WZs are continually barraged with throw-away L2P comments.

Edited by klham