coming from call of duty I have one question.

Klalose

This is my first mmo, I want to fight other people and stuff, so how is that like in this game? Is it good? Is it balanced? I don't really care alot about rpg's and stuff but I love bioware and I want to give this game a real shot. So how is the multiplayer? Can you do alot of co-op type stuff like in mw3? Like specific missions and stuff. Do you just get new gear as you play with your class and unlock achiements from kills?

any help is appreciated.

thanks in advance.

This is my first mmo, I want to fight other people and stuff, so how is that like in this game? Is it good? Is it balanced? I don't really care alot about rpg's and stuff but I love bioware and I want to give this game a real shot. So how is the multiplayer? Can you do alot of co-op type stuff like in mw3? Like specific missions and stuff. Do you just get new gear as you play with your class and unlock achiements from kills?

any help is appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Given it's your first MMO.

1. All MMO's are coop. Yes 75% of the game is mission based coop with a team and given mechanics and certain ways of fighting to survive the encounters.

2. PVP (multiplayer) is very cut throat and bloody and takes time to get gear and progress skillfully in your class.

3. Balance is a tricky question to answer: This isn't a First person shooter. So get that idea out of your head now. Balance comes in the fact that you, your team, and your opponents have access to the exact same gear in a FPS based game. However, MMO's are not like that. Balance is considered class specific, however gear can make fights lopsided in the hands of a skilled player. Balance is also very difficult to do between classes, Because some classes/specs are designed for a purpose. Some can defend well aka "Tanks", which are designed to soak up massive damage from mitigation mechanics. While others can do damage well, and yet others can't do damage or defend but can heal themselves or their teammates.

4. The 3 basic roles to any class:

1. Tanks - Designed to soak up damage, generally can't do a lot of damage themselves. Can maintain threat from a given target such that they don't attack their group/team mates.

2. DPS - These are the damage dealers of the game. Their job is to exclusively apply massive damage over time (DPS'er) They generally can 't take big hits of damage like a Tank.

3. Healers - This is all they do.... this is what they excel at. Generally they are hard to kill because of this fact.

5. Special unlocks are done through content completion.

6. Gear is not accquired through special unlocks but rather looted from what is called NPC/MOBs. NPC = Non Player Character (Mob) is often used to refered to an enemy you must kill at some point or another. They will drop gear/loot/money/crafting resources randomly but can also be class specific.

7. The game is level based meaning you have to level up to use higher level gear to have better stats/damage/defense/healing. etc. It takes time to accquire gear both in PVE and PVP (PVE = Player vs Everything) (PVP = Player vs player what you would call multiplayer from FPS games)

Edited by Ahebish

I've played FPS games for years but never got into MW3 much. Did reach lvl 70 in mw2 and this is my first MMO as well, though. I feel like I should mention at the start of what I have a feeling will be a long rant, that while I dislike things about TOR if you keep reading ill probably start saying why I'm still playing it. Long story short, its a fun game but if you're expecting a balanced game that is as focused on competitive multiplayer as MW3 this might not be what you're looking for.

The biggest difference is the simplicity, tbh. You press one key, the game targets an opponent...press another key, and the game fires off an ability for you. Like having an aimbot, and everyone gets it. There is some complexity in the order you use the abilities to maximize your damage while conserving energy, but when it comes down to it a game like modern warfare is going to be harder and require more input from the player. Plus, TOR has 4 maps and essentially two modes. That's it atm. Three of the maps use a domination type game mode which isn't done as well as it is in cod, and the other is a ctf which isn't done as well as it is in cod. Forget 16 maps at launch, 12 modes, monthly map packs, and so forth.

Balance? You can forget about that entirely. I like FPS games where everyone starts out every match with the same stuff, and only their skill and knowledge of the map/mode separate them. It seems like COD is slowly moving away from that with the perks and unlocks, but the differences and advantages are nowhere near as pronounced as TOR. Not even marginally close. The entire point in tor is to maximize your character by grinding for better gear than your competitor. You're not grinding head shots for the fall cammo or knife kills to get that emblem, you're grinding gear that will significantly increase your damage while significantly reducing the damage you receive. In FPS, you get better by playing and learning the maps, developing ninja reflexes, etc. In this, you get better by buying those awesome pants that give you +50 power, and maybe that hat that gives you +100 strength.

But, all that said, I still like it. It was a pita putting up with the unbalanced pvp gear grind but I'm slowly working on getting my character the highest tier of pvp armor. While it is a different focus (gear over ninja reflexes and skill) the grind does let you customize your character in a way FPS games never do. You can make your character look like a ******, instead of exactly the same as every other player on your team. Black ops did that thing where you could change your appearance based on the first perk you choose which I liked, but this takes it to a whole other level. It's a double edged sword, on one hand customizing your character can be fun but at the same time its what makes the game so much different (and IMO, less competitive) than an FPS game where skill and reflexes are king.

Also, pve is a lot of fun. This is the coop part, where you work with other players in groups against computer controlled opponents in operations and flashpoints. Unlike the coop in cod or halo, though, you're not just fighting against waves of increasingly tougher enemies. You're actually progressing through a mission together where every player has a defined role. Honestly, it can be pretty exciting.

Edited by DrewFromPhilly

Drew you can not be serious about this game being more simple then MW3. This game is far more complex and does actually take skill to get good at (Its actually not that MW3 doesn't take skill, but its all very sneaky kinda fighting and camping and twitch reflexes). We are talking like 25+ or so abilities here versus literally right trigger to shoot, right thumb stick to knife, and left trigger to throw grenades. Even with the great variation of maps in games like MW3, for some reason i still got quickly bored because its such a simple fighting style and the fact that we only have 4 maps in SWTOR but its fine for the players tells you something about the gameplay I think. Also gear imbalance inst bad for the first 49 levels, and you can get almost full battlemaster after you ding 50 if you stock up on comms which wont be hard for someone who loves pvp.

I played the halo franchise for a super long time and was very good, I ditched it immediately upon playing this game because I was just so bored of the standard, throw grenade +4 battle rifle shots that happened over and over and over again. This was my first MMO as well and the pvp aspect, even though I am slightly bitter because for now its 4 instanced maps has kept me totally addicted for a long time.

Edited by Miggzy

Coming from COD and comparing it to SWTOR is much like walking into the Vatican and asking about Scientology.

Possible troll alert BE ADVISED...see LINK

How can this be his first MMO if the provided link is him as well unless I am missing something. Also his post log shows posts from back in the month of Feb....

EDIT: Had to change some of the wording around as to not step on Ugly's shoes....he knows I would NEVER do that :D The way I originally wrote it made it sound like I was talking to him but I'm speaking to the OP. Sorry for any confusion!

Edited by Master_Nate

How can this be your first MMO if the provided link is you as well unless I am missing something. Also your post log shows posts from back in the month of Feb....

Wow. Good catch, Master Nate!

I'm assuming you meant to quote the OP, though. Yes?

Edited by SovereignConvict

How can this be his first MMO if the provided link is him as well unless I am missing something. Also his post log shows posts from back in the month of Feb....

I didn't even catch that...

We have now increased our troll alert level to "orange".

EDIT: Had to change some of the wording around as to not step on Ugly's shoes....he knows I would NEVER do that :D The way I originally wrote it made it sound like I was talking to him but I'm speaking to the OP. Sorry for any confusion!

:D I knew what ya meant.

I didn't even catch that...

We have now increased our troll alert level to "orange".

:D If it's a serious thread then the answers here have been good and well thought out. (i) Just hate seeing good people waste their time and knowledge on a troll post if that is what this ends up being in the end.

With that, let the weekend begin :) catch you all later

Edited by Master_Nate

Coming from COD and comparing it to SWTOR is much like walking into the Vatican and asking about Scientology.

Exactly, because TOR is more established, more professionally made, more frequently updated with content, more popular, and is considered the benchmark all other similar games are compared to.....oh wait....F2P in less than a year....declining server pops...players actually asking for pvp to be removed entirely so BW can focus on pve....BW releasing only 2 maps in the first year after release....posts I've seen from YOU specifically as well as other players bemoaning the changes BW makes, stuff a company that actually knows what it's doing might not be doing....

Just so I'm clear, you meant CoD to be Scientology in your analogy...right? LOL

Exactly, because TOR is more established, more professionally made, more frequently updated with content, more popular, and is considered the benchmark all other similar games are compared to.....oh wait....F2P in less than a year....declining server pops...players actually asking for pvp to be removed entirely so BW can focus on pve....BW releasing only 2 maps in the first year after release....posts I've seen from YOU specifically as well as other players bemoaning the changes BW makes, stuff a company that actually knows what it's doing might not be doing....

I just meant they have nothing to do with each other...

Colorful perspective tho...

Coming from real life, how is the game play in this game? Can i just walk around and jump out of dark alleys and stunlock people like I do in real life?

any help is appreciated

also give me your wallet

I was gonna call for help... But I was stunned.

fact that we only have 4 maps in SWTOR but its fine for the players tells you something about the gameplay

You may not have noticed but the game is losing people so quickly and dramatically that they are willing to try F2P in less than a year despite the lofty promises and predictions.

Also, if you're relying on camping in cod (or any fps) you're not doing it right.

ROFL CoD is the bane of the fps universe atm along with any other fps game that uses a regen health system, there is nothing strategic about running in guns blazing then hiding for lil bit to regen your health. Only good FPS are the ones that still use health packs. Which is almost none, CoD was made in for the people that inpatient and just want to run and gun then hide to regen health for immediate gratification. And food for thought any console fps game all have auto aim built in even if they dont show no option for it. which one reason why people that play them on the console think there more accurate then a mouse. Only reason CoD sells so well is ACTIVISION throw **** ton of money in to advertisement, much like halo. Throw enough advertisement at any game and it will sell like hot cakes