Is this Space Combat for real?

Motherstar

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize I'm bumping this by saying so, buuuut - this topic has been beaten to death and beyond, this thread needs to just be locked, forgotten and a sticky needs to be created that this (among other) topics will be locked immediately.

There is a video ON THIS VERY SITE that displays space combat when it was first announced AND you have a producer stating that they know it's limited, but they want to do more with it based on user feedback. Giving feedback is fine, but you'll need to provide a description of WHAT you want them to do with it.

Random, spurious complaints about commonly known errors do nothing to advance the current system.

Now...if you said....'What about a space combat system akin to what we saw in Freelancer? It used keyboard and mouse controls and created a simulated space environment that the user could freely move about in. '

That would be OK...you're critiquing the system and suggesting a change that could actually happen. Random complaints, as I said, do nothing but make a grab for attention. We're aware the space combat is limited. Most of us are also aware that Bioware never intended space combat to be anything more than it is for release. There have been no claims that it would be anything other than what it is.

It's an excellent rail shooter if you ask me. I've seen the highest quality textures and animations in the gosh darn space combat. It looks slick, plays smooth and is a nice getaway from the questing and exploring.

If they'd only add KOTOR-style Swoop Races...I need my dose of swoop :(

Oh god I'd have a nerdgasm if they added swoop racing.

I've played the first five space missions that you get so far,

and I'm having an absolute blast.

The environments are gorgous (loving the ice asteroids one),

and with ships constantly warping in and starting firing on EVERYTHING

it really looks like an epic space battle.

The XP is nothing to sneer at either, and there's a fleet commendation shop

that has some nice items (including a full pilot's outfit (modable)).

That being said, they could add some missions that are more free-roam-arena style.

And with that some PvP. Star Fox Command on the DS comes to mind in that regard.

Or, what would also be interesting, some co-op missions.

Everyone on his own rails, that intersect from time to time. There even could be forks

in the road, for special conditions like "didn't manage to shoot down a certain enemy"

or something along those lines.

We'll see what comes of it. I, for one, am looking forward to it! :D

eh. To each their own. For me, I went in only wanting a fun little mini game to occasionally play between quests, not any kind of incredibly immersive simulator.

The people who want another game within the game are no doubt dissapointed, but this could be a problem of perspective and expectations. I wanted a fun mini game out of space combat and I think I got that.

Space missions are awesome.

I agree, they tell a story themselves, are quick (what maybe 5 minutes), fun, and actually are failable.

I suggest everyone really give them a try.

When I first heard about the space combat in this game, it was about a year ago and I said that it would be crap and that I wasnt going to play SWTOR.

Glad I kept an open mind.

Best iPhone app I ever played on my PC!

I mean...pretty much. It's obvious they didn't put any real development time into space combat.

As someone who really loved SWG: Jump to Lightspeed, it's very underwhelming. Say what you want about SWG, but they did space in the SW universe right.

I really wish BW would mimick something similar to that and just let players pilot their multipassenger ships as we can now.

I'm wondering what people think about Space Combat. I hope it is changed in the future because...you got to be kidding me. It feels like an after thought.

How space combat is atm is not new information. You are coming very late to the party mate. Too late tbh, the game is launched. Deal with it :)

If they decide to change it then cool, but in the meantime either play it or don't.

Oh god I'd have a nerdgasm if they added swoop racing.

Go one step further, Swoop/Speeder combat missions.. were your on whatever speeder/swoop or whatever your character currently has and you use its weapons to shoot down enimies :o

Ala Luke/Leia's speeder fight on Endor. :eek:

Edited by Arialyn

It's a fine change of pace when grinding levels...

But it's sooooo arcadey.

I love how the larger ships(XB-70)? are insanely maneuverable...

I long for the accension of TRUE space combat.

Star Wars Theme + Battlestations Midway + EVE Online + X-Wing/Tie Figher = Epic Space Combat

I'm sure that Grand Admiral Thrawn would approve of this merger.

Edited by HollowVoices

Wow I did not expect negative review on this subject. I think it is pretty awesome and has the potential to be much better. Flying with death stars at my side is one of the best space flight game moments I have ever had. I hope they improve on it.

Space combat is an amazing time killer and doing the little missions is fun to do while waiting for friends to catch up or do whatever they're doing. The mission rewards are pretty hefty for exp rewards, too. So they're nice to have if you are the one needing to catch up to your friends flashpoints/heroics.

I don't think it's meant to be a major focus of the game but for a beginning system - if they plan on expanding on it - it's really great.