Is this Space Combat for real?

Motherstar

i am enjoying the space missions, its not polished but a good starting point for bioware to build from. how great would it be to do a 10man mission in a space sandbox with your ships to destroy a monstrous objective. i hope it just gets better then just kicked into touch.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy the space missions for a nice break from quest grinding or waiting on crew members who are crafting. BUT I know alot more can be done and I don't doubt that there will be more.

MMOs are never going to have everything and the kitchen sink in at the beginning. I think what they've given us is a good start and I have faith in the future plans for this mmo. Now if they suddenly give us Pokemon and Space Pandas I'll quit faster than it takes to shoot a womp rat with a blaster.

When it comes to MMOs its about what you start with and how you can see openings for even more. Atleast its a decently complete game compared to some that don't even have half of their quest lines in, its not missing dungeons, its not missing raids, its not missing crafting or gear choices. They gave us some good starting blocks but definitely we all know there will be and can be more.

I'm wondering what people think about Space Combat. I hope it is changed in the future because...you got to be kidding me. It feels like an after thought.

It WAS an after thought. I hated it when I tried it on Beta. Others say they like it. <shrug>

I believe I read somewhere that they plan to expand it a lot once they get past the release and iron out some kinks...

Its just crazy that Star Trek Online Space Combat was done really well. I guess I was sort of expecting that type of gameplay. I've always loved Star Wars over Star Trek and its hard to accept Star Trek out doing Star Wars in Space Combat lol. I do like this game alot and the story-driven voice over is excellent.

Wow, I could not disagree more..... I thought space combat in Star Trek was horrid. The Star Wars space combat is much more fast paced and fun.

It's a cute little mini game. I'm not really sure what people were expecting. A full Tie-Fighter style experience wrapped into your full MMO experience? Really? I mean, it's nice to want things, I guess, but there's a point at which it becomes ridiculous.

Good point. It's absolutely ridiculous for people to expect STAR wars to have space combat given that there was never any space combat in STAR wars and that a game that is now many years old (SWG) didn't have any real space combat in its STAR wars.

Truly ridiculous expectations, people!

Wow, I could not disagree more..... I thought space combat in Star Trek was horrid. The Star Wars space combat is much more fast paced and fun.

I agree space combat in Star Trek was terrible then again the entire game is TErrible. Star Trek Online doesn't feel or play like Star Trek should.

They could have used the classics X-wing and TIE Fighter for their space combat engines and given us old-timers a chub.

Have to remember TIE fighter was launched 17, nearly 18 years ago. Many, many people won't have seen it.

That said, the republic has a fighter that looks a great deal like an E-Wing. I want. :jawa_tongue:

I'd rather they devote development time into what we currently have for Space Combat then devote more time and likely have issues elsewhere in the game. Personally I enjoyed the Space Combat for what it was.... a minigame. I'm actually looking forward to getting home and doing those missions before the server goes down.

plays like star fox 64, for me it doesn't really seem like something that should belong in a mmo. think it would of been better left out and added proper content later.

This is how I feel. Whatever time was wasted on this aspect of the game could have been better used on other content. /Dance 14 would have kept me entertained more then the "space combat" that they took time to produce.

Good point. It's absolutely ridiculous for people to expect STAR wars to have space combat given that there was never any space combat in STAR wars and that a game that is now many years old (SWG) didn't have any real space combat in its STAR wars.

Truly ridiculous expectations, people!

Except SWG didn't get its "Jump to Lightspeed" until over a year after release, as a fully priced expansion. If you expect every new MMO to be as content dense as previous titles that have had multiple expansions and content patches, then you're going to be waiting forever.

So, yes, truly ridiculous expectations. It's good you realize it.

Except SWG didn't get its "Jump to Lightspeed" until over a year after release, as a fully priced expansion. If you expect every new MMO to be as content dense as previous titles that have had multiple expansions and content patches, then you're going to be waiting forever.

So, yes, truly ridiculous expectations. It's good you realize it.

Bioware spent much more time and much more $$ developing SWTOR.

The space combat we have as a result of that development is a joke, in my opinion. We'll just agree to disagree.

Edited by Amdarius

Its just crazy that Star Trek Online Space Combat was done really well. I guess I was sort of expecting that type of gameplay. I've always loved Star Wars over Star Trek and its hard to accept Star Trek out doing Star Wars in Space Combat lol. I do like this game alot and the story-driven voice over is excellent.

Really, did someone just say that? Really? Star Trek Online space combat is a joke... It is cumbersome and annoying and not really that fun. I played for my free month and said f it.

Now I personally like the space missions the way they are. I wish there were more of them and that there was some sort of story behind them and maybe I could get medals and badges and stuff like that but the missions are fun and fast paced. They are also Amazing XP. Instead of grinding out side quests I am doing space missions and crafting :)

I would also like to say that I am a HUGE fan of the original X-Wing and Tie Fighter games. So much so that I was a member of the Emperors Hammer: Tie Corps back in the day. I would love to see a new updated version of that be included in an MMO but what we did get is fun. The second tier missions are pretty intense. I really just wish there were more of them!

Who's playing this game for the space combat?

Seriously, it's good enough for what it's meant to be; a side mission, change of pace way to get some credits and xp. Not meant to be a core part of gameplay, in the least.

It might eventually become a full fledged space combat sim, but c'mon....it was announced, like what, 8 months ago? (not gonna go searching, but it was less than a year ago, I'm pretty sure)

It's an excellent rail shooter if you ask me. I've seen the highest quality textures and animations in the goddamn space combat. It looks slick, plays smooth and is a nice getaway from the questing and exploring.

If they'd only add KOTOR-style Swoop Races...I need my dose of swoop :(