SWTOR Is No Longer Supported By Most Sites

LibertySol

You know what I don't get? The general player community seemed to expect SWTOR to kill WOW right out of the gates. And that seems silly to me. Drawing on all the old arguments from when the first game launched: This is Bioware's first MMO, SWTOR had one of the smoothest MMO launches in the history of....... MMOs. And so far, Bioware has released more content in a year for this game than they have for any of their more critically acclaimed console titles.

And the vast majority of the player community abandoned SWTOR, for various reasons (good and bad), way back in March. And that created a whole slew of problems. The hundred or so extra servers that were quickly released to cope with expanding server populations were suddenly left just about empty, basically killing the economy for hundreds of thousands of players. And ignorant people on the forums cried and blamed Bioware for the problem.

Then when Bioware tried to correct the problem via server merges (fixing population issues and hopefully kickstarting the crafting economy again for everyone) most of the game community had a fit over name changes, as if, like, it really was the end of the world for the SWTOR community.

And this is all on top of releasing four major updates to date (bringing a heavy amount of content for ONE year), tweaking classes continuously (in some cases significantly), and promising more to come before the end of the year. You cannot seriously convince me that SWTOR's biggest problems haven't been caused by the players. If anything, I'd say SWTOR's biggest crisis times have been a direct result OF the players.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually run my own site http://followtheforce.net . Pre-launch we had a lot of good up to date information and this continued until changes in 1.1. People simply have no idea the time that is taken to do something like this or the extreme amount of information a game like this contains. We have a quest guide from level 1-20 and that took me about 3 weeks to do that.

My site is add free and I did it as a fun project. As time goes on people are less likely to contribute and in my case I'm not going to drop 3-4 hours of my nightly free-time to update it. I'd rather PLAY the game.

TORhead is probably your best resource. I've never found an issue with the stuff contained there, your comments about the site have no merit. I don't go there to see people's comments or use their forum, I use their database.

And btw, if you actually checked yourself you'd see the 1.4 items are updated and in their database.

Edited by Tim-ONeil

The problem with TORhead is that WoWhead's content is uploaded via a Addon/ MOD. So it's quick and easy. Any information on TorHead has to be gathered by the creators of the website as SWtOR doesn't yet allow mods.

As for "No longer supported" I'd say if you look at their data, they mostly quit supporting it in beta, as did most of the other sites (Though as mentioned, TORhead seems to be updating more)

Edited by AbsolutGrndZero

As for "No longer supported" I'd say if you look at their data, they mostly quit supporting it in beta, as did most of the other sites (Though as mentioned, TORhead seems to be updating more)

And btw, if you actually checked yourself you'd see the 1.4 items are updated and in their database.

Stop making assumptions.

Edited by Tim-ONeil

If you honestly think SWTOR didn't fail it's community I really don't know what to say to that.
If true then one would surmise that the community (which includes those who frequent these forums) are just as fail for sticking around. Or is that statement equally as absurd? Edited by GalacticKegger

1. It's too easy to get to level cap
  2. there weren't enough side quests even though they didn't stop to smell the npcs along the way
  3. the story (which they didn't read) sucked
  4. the end game is grindy and too much *and* not enough like WOW

I am tired of it. SWTOR did not fail the players. EA and a segment of players failed SWTOR. And that segment of players is failing the industry and will be making it impossible for a AAA game to get VC money within two years, I suspect. It's not a pretty picture in the industry right now.

/* retired game CEO and VP Marketing/Bizdev */

Well perhaps you should stop making the same game over and over. Maybe perhaps you shouldn't make a game with linear progression, an 'end game' and level cap and wonder why people got tired of it so quickly.

I cannot agree more. Shava is right.

That's the point.

I participated in "both sides" of the game, trying my first ever PVP experience in life.

I liked it, even with the situations those "Serious PVP Players" - as they call themselves all geared like Titans roll over me thousand times because i cannot stand alone against two or three of them.

They are being proud of it actually :):)

But anyway:

I guess it's just a sign'o'the times. Large groups of kiddos who have all days and months to sit behind a computer and talk about what's good and bad and why this game sucks. (one can ask WHO pays for their subscriptions?)

But SWTOR is a GOOD GAME.

It is just designed for somewhat more matured people.

When I saw the first ever Star Wars movie I was EIGHT. Those days no one literally could even DREAM about being able to LIVE it, live it like now we can in all SW games.

Those who saw movies (or read books, played first games like X-Wing) later, when the SW machine was on full speed, cannot have that perspective.

The only one they have is WOW (or other MMO) related. NOT Star Wars related (environments, worlds, force, all that mystics) but simply plain computer gaming related perspective. The world is not important important is how quick they smash other players and get the newer pixels on their characters.

And perhaps that's a reason they are complaining. They do not care about what the game is about, they care about percentages of healing or DPS instead of seeing what they can explore. What can the LIVE.

I seriously DO NOT care whether the PVP is balanced or not, whether one class is 2,6778% better than another and if i can stealth or not, what i care is whether the story is properly written (believable), SWTOR mostly is (despite few really idiotic situations when you have to fight gargantuan beast that normally no Jedi or Sith would even bother with - because saber skills would never work there. In those occasions some force tricks should be useful - but those are NOT given to us). Well, SWTOR mostly is up to it. The story is VERY GOOD. And the voicing and cinematics, etc.

That's what I want. Nothing more.

Some complain about game engine or low framerate or lagging or whatever performance issue. - I guess they really need to upgrade their machines because I can play this game on either low end or high end laptops.

Seriously I played it on 4 years old HP laptop with low end graphic card. I loose the details, but I COULD PLAY!

Not to say a word about Alienware that simply does not seem to be bothered by SWTOR.

I participate in forums, trying to say something constructive here and there, but since it looks like massive boring flood of "whining and trolling" I guess I saw enough of it.

Now I guess I will simply PLAY THE GAME as usual, and patiently wait for new content.

That's was it.

Edited by Przemo_No
typos

I have to agree with most of the things Shava wrote. I witnessed it so many times irl among some friends and acquaintances:

1st. They'll talk about that new mmorpg months prior to its launch and they'll play in every beta phases.

2nd. They'll preorder it asap and stay awake all night before the launching day.

3rd. They'll burn through the mmo without reading the story, without taking the time to look around in the maps, without socializing, without trying the other classes, etc.

4rd. After 2-6 days, they're already at max level. After 1-3 weeks, they're already max geared and guess what? Yep, they are already totally bored.

5rd. They'll start to complain a lot and write many really negative comments about that mmo in forums/chat/websites.

6rd. They'll unsub.

*Repeat steps 1 to 6* until death...

The sad thing is that I used to behave like that. I used to jump from mmorpg to mmorpg. Then, one day, I said to myself: "Stop being that kind of gamer, it's just a pathetic and sad behavior".

This is why SWTOR is my 1st mmo where I really take the time to enjoy the game. No more rush. I'm done with that.

Edited by Sammm

You know what I don't get? The general player community seemed to expect SWTOR to kill WOW right out of the gates. And that seems silly to me. Drawing on all the old arguments from when the first game launched: This is Bioware's first MMO, SWTOR had one of the smoothest MMO launches in the history of....... MMOs. And so far, Bioware has released more content in a year for this game than they have for any of their more critically acclaimed console titles.

And the vast majority of the player community abandoned SWTOR, for various reasons (good and bad), way back in March. And that created a whole slew of problems. The hundred or so extra servers that were quickly released to cope with expanding server populations were suddenly left just about empty, basically killing the economy for hundreds of thousands of players. And ignorant people on the forums cried and blamed Bioware for the problem.

Then when Bioware tried to correct the problem via server merges (fixing population issues and hopefully kickstarting the crafting economy again for everyone) most of the game community had a fit over name changes, as if, like, it really was the end of the world for the SWTOR community.

And this is all on top of releasing four major updates to date (bringing a heavy amount of content for ONE year), tweaking classes continuously (in some cases significantly), and promising more to come before the end of the year. You cannot seriously convince me that SWTOR's biggest problems haven't been caused by the players. If anything, I'd say SWTOR's biggest crisis times have been a direct result OF the players.

WHAT THE HELL!

This is called bad business from BW/EA

They had 0 preparations to launches, they were somehow completely out of the blue expecting that all those serves wil remain high. pop

If they released a better more stable servers with current population caps and make 10 of those all would be very heavy/full first 3 weeks with perhaps 30 min queues and then drop to heavy/very heavy on peaks.

Instead the created single most fail game experience a human being can have in MMOs really

And i love the game and i see how they failed.

If you're still enjoying the game go ahead.

Just don't be ignorant and bury your head in the sand when someone criticizes it. Are you telling me updates aren't slow? Are you telling me the hero engine isn't terrible? Are you telling me they don't have tons of bugs? Are you telling me 300 million dollars on a game that is now barely staying profitable is a raving success?

No you aren't your complaining about people who "whine". I don't care about whiners I care about facts.

Lol one person said that you have to be "mature" to enjoy SWTOR and that's why it has problems. Because people aren't "mature" enough. Christ what happened to the gaming community.

WHAT THE HELL!

This is called bad business from BW/EA

They had 0 preparations to launches, they were somehow completely out of the blue expecting that all those serves wil remain high. pop

If they released a better more stable servers with current population caps and make 10 of those all would be very heavy/full first 3 weeks with perhaps 30 min queues and then drop to heavy/very heavy on peaks.

Instead the created single most fail game experience a human being can have in MMOs really

And i love the game and i see how they failed.

You say that this is the 'single most fail game experience a human being can have in MMOs', but all you cite are server merges.

The server situation was short-sightedness on Bioware's part to be sure, but that alone constitues what you consider to be the 'most fail' game experience?

I can point out things that they did wrong. I can mention where I think that the story is lacking for classes that I have played. I can even argue about the crafting and wonder why so many of the orange armors are so similar (if not identical) when so many other designs/patterns are completely unmade.

I can point out a bunch of things that I dislike, but it doesn't mean that the game is some monumental failure the likes of which the world has never seen.

And when the game comes to a point where I feel like there is no enjoyment left, if I ever decide that the game is 'the most fail game experience' that I can have (or more likely, just feel that I am ready to move on from the game), then I certainly won't be hanging around the forums to complain and cry about it.

"Przemo_No" What he said!!! The story of the game and I disdain any who want to turn this in WOWTOR. I don't want spreadsheets of calculations explaining how I can tweak my toon to get .005 more dps/heal or whatever. It's all about the stories, "living" in the period and enjoying the GAME!

"And when the game comes to a point where I feel like there is no enjoyment left, if I ever decide that the game is 'the most fail game experience' that I can have (or more likely, just feel that I am ready to move on from the game), then I certainly won't be hanging around the forums to complain and cry about it. "

After 7 years of WOW that is what it had become for me so I left. We haven't even been here a year yet! Anyone who is involved in this industry will tell coding is a PIN IN THE ***! One tweak has unknown consequences in something totally unrelated. Happens all the time. I just expect the game to evolve, that is all I ask.

Actually upon thinking on it further, I had to respond to this more thoughtfully.

The sites you are talking about are, I think except for DarthHater (which is Curse, Inc. which is a multi-national dotcom, 19mil hits a month) all at best semi-pro and mostly all fan sites. Fan sites are ephemeral in many games.

SWTOR is in the news every day by the professional games press, for good or ill.

If the games press were an old-style journalism sort of thing, without comment streams, SWTOR's coverage would probably look much better than it does. However, comment streams make every AAA game out there look like crap, particularly the ones that don't have very crafty and clever social media folks who are both very adept and close to the fans. EA/Bioware seem to just have money at the corporate level, and do neither of those other things all that well.

But the current fashion in MMORPGs is that a vocal minority of gamers who love to guild up and raid -- let's call them the Piranhas -- dominate the social media metagame of the online world of MMOs. They spend all their free time that they are not gaming on Twitter, in comment streams, filing scathing reviews on Metacritic, you name it. Their hobby is to be gaming hipsters, essentially -- to see how snarkily and cuttingly they can shred a game to show off how sophisticated a gamer they are among their leet peers.

These are the armchair generals of MMOs.

So as a game emerges from pre-beta, these guys (and they are by vast majority male IRL) are scoping it like Fantasy Football dudes evaluating draft picks. They start talking about how it is or isn't like WOW, how it's prospects are to be F2P or why it will suck before the company publishes any terms at all. A cinematic trailer at E3 will erupt a crapstorm of vitriol. A change of devs will start doomsaying avalanches. A choice of distribution channels. From a bunch of idiots who really at root know zip about running a business. They mostly just like to listen to each other mouth off wise.

So when head start comes or beta or pre-beta, these guys descend like the school of piranha. They will get in as soon as possible. They will insist on top of the art graphics, performance, story, content, support -- but they will SKIP all of the two years of content that the devs put into the game.

Within two days, they have raced each other to level cap, where they will be ************ to the universe about how:

1. It's too easy to get to level cap
  2. there weren't enough side quests even though they didn't stop to smell the npcs along the way
  3. the story (which they didn't read) sucked
  4. the end game is grindy and too much *and* not enough like WOW

And at this point, with all the variations on the theme (I'm sure you can come up with all the rest) they will call on the producers and the devs to have a summit with all the guild leaders to fix the doomed game, because only they can save the game. They will travel to Iceland or Austin or something, drink themselves silly, insult the female gender in any way they can in the majority, further confuse and ruin the game for crafters, roleplayers, people who like story, people who *do* spend time on content and so on, and then upon returning to the game and the forums, say no one listened to them....

And leave to destroy the next game.

I am tired of it. SWTOR did not fail the players. EA and a segment of players failed SWTOR. And that segment of players is failing the industry and will be making it impossible for a AAA game to get VC money within two years, I suspect. It's not a pretty picture in the industry right now.

I'm not one of the armchair generals. I play online games since online games became available.

I wrote and ran my own MUD back in the 90's, just for fun. That was a different time.

Players loved the games and game developers were proud of their creations.

In my opinion, WoW changed all that by truly commercializing online gaming like never before.

It was no longer about innovation, creativity and pride but subscription numbers, profit margin and quarterly reports.

To quote Henry Ford "I'm not in the business of making cars, I'm in the business of making money."

Nowadays, players are just consumers and developers are employees of companies run by MBA's.

The product doesn't matter anymore, only that people are willing to buy it.

So, you have consumers who demand the most for their money.

You have share holders who demand the most return for their investments.

And the result?

Rushed, buggy games that are hyped up with a lot of marketing just to recover the initial investment.

Consumers who feel cheated and are vocal about it until they find a new game, which they perceive to be more worthy of their money. Sorry, but capitalism does not know loyalty.

If anyone failed SWTOR, it's not the players and not programmers.

It's corporate greed and the CEO's and VP's Marketing/BizDev who failed!

"And when the game comes to a point where I feel like there is no enjoyment left, if I ever decide that the game is 'the most fail game experience' that I can have (or more likely, just feel that I am ready to move on from the game), then I certainly won't be hanging around the forums to complain and cry about it. "

After 7 years of WOW that is what it had become for me so I left. We haven't even been here a year yet! Anyone who is involved in this industry will tell coding is a PIN IN THE ***! One tweak has unknown consequences in something totally unrelated. Happens all the time. I just expect the game to evolve, that is all I ask.

YUP same once im done with a game I m done i dont hang around no reason to and i playd wow to for 7 years , came to sw becasue i loved it in beta and still do , if i say somethnig bad on the forums about it , it's because i care and SW could be the best but won't sadly .

Edited by moonshoter

So very true.

This game could still kick WOW's butt if they get it right over next 6-12months.

F2P could breed a whole new life to the game and community as long as they introduce the right f2p model and its not a pay to win system.

Grinding is pretty much like playing PACMAN.

If you want to keep customers a long time the less GRINDING they have to do the better.

Any game with Grinding is doomed. I left WoW for the same reason as after a year of it no one can continue sanely.

???

I don't see why people are alway's complaining about some kind of grind, why do games have to have a gimmie mechanic built into it ?

My MMO experience started with EQ1, talk about a GRIND every time your lvl hit a 9 ie(9-19-29 etc) you hit a hell lvl, took some players a week or more depending on play time to get through it, lvl cap was 40, then "Ruins of Kunark" hit, 10 more lvl's ,new continent and content, still GRIND.

Sony then got the idea to listen to the hardcore Guilds and decided to get rid of hell lvl's, release a new expansion every 6 months or so, new armor to raid for and so on and so on, only to stick around for what 11 years now ? and went F2P, I don't want to see this game grab that idea like WoW did and run away with it, sure theres a lvl cap, not a lot of new content, but yet it's been less than a year.

EA/BW needs to fix the bugs,smooth out the engine forget that pvp/pve abilities should carry over, why should a class play the same if you play one or the other?, instead of all the complaints against SWToR how about people go to the suggestion area and instead of qq give input, a game is only as good as the makers and players make it, as to the GRIND if you have lost interest in this game that fast, this is not a game for you.

If you honestly think SWTOR didn't fail it's community I really don't know what to say to that. That's fine. There will always be die hard fans who will vehemently defend their chosen product and I understand that. I also understand there are a lot of people who tear through a games endgame and then claim it's bad. Those people suck no question about it.

But SWTOR failed the playerbase. It's the biggest failure in gaming history (maybe entertainment history.

WOW. I mean, really, wow. That is some statement. Gaming history, ENTERTAINMENT HISTORY! OH my.

See, this is the kind of hyperbole that shava's post was about. I know it's been a week, yeah, but people can read back if they want.

So very true.

This game could still kick WOW's butt if they get it right over next 6-12months.

F2P could breed a whole new life to the game and community as long as they introduce the right f2p model and its not a pay to win system.

It already kicks WoW's butt. At least for me it does.

I'm sure it does for others. I know for a FACT that the reason a lot of my friends dont play this game is because they haven't given it a chance--they are afraid that theyll like it too much, and then all their years of WoW would have been wasted.

Yes because the all powerful players pushed out an incomplete WoW clone without even the basic features that most WoW clones have. 1.2 million people must be wrong amirite?

That. F2P might turn the game around but I doubt it. EA seems determined to spend as little money on this as possible and will likely just let it run in "maintenance mode" with a skeleton crew for another year or so and then pull the plug. Unless F2P suddenly means a lot of new content in a very short time it's too little, too late as everyone has already given up on TOR and is calling it a failure in every outlet I can think of for gaming news.

It's a shame.

You are correct. SWToR is great and the players and EA failed SWToR.

Seriously now. How many other MMO's out there other then WoW are not FTP? Why and when did WoW become this standard by which the success of all other MMO's must be measured? I mean obviously WoW has a following. It has almost been out for 8 years. Expecting people with that much time invested in a MMO to just drop it and play another is on the edge of crazy.

WoW I am sure you will all see after the final numbers are in. Will be down a great many subs after the release of MoP. If it isn't down then parents just gave thier accounts to thier children. We WoW is now Pandaland, SWToR in my opinion was never designed for that young of a group of players.

That being said I suspect over time if Bioware keeps it up and EA backs them. This game will take off in a major possitive direction. Blizzard is already on self destruct. Look at SC2, D3, Cata, and now MoP. MoP didn't even offer enough challenge to keep a person from lev cap in a day. No challenge in that. Getting a lev 90 Panda in under a day of release.

SWToR can be king one day. We all just need to support it and stop with all this negative QQ all over the place. Chasing people away before they even decide to try coming back. Nice way to show support......