Gtn isnt working

Sir-Coffee

I'm pretty sure that they didn't break the GTN- I was one of several players who have been writing tickets about not receiving credits from many of my successful auctions. On the forums, unless it was happening to them, people figured I and other people were stupid and just didn't understand the mail system, were getting duplicate mails that we didn't notice/etc.

Nevertheless, since you did receive credits from "half" of your sales, it was likely just the original notification mails sitting there adding to the confusion, like it did for me on like 5 alts, it would be a bit odd if some people were were flat out getting nothing at all while others just got the duplicate emails.

So Flurbus, I take it THIS was the kind of response you were referring to? :p

I would have preferred that they just kept the servers offline an entire day instead of keeping them up without a pretty major feature.

Lol, no. Much better to get as much of the game up and running as you can. Missing the GTN is inconvenient, but hardly going to stop most people from raiding or PvPing today.

The GTN was already flaky after the server merge, both due to the character rename system and the sale mails that were not being culled correctly. The 1.4 patch could just have been the straw that really broke it for good, not to mention that numerous database changes are applied on the backend during the release (that's why servers are down for 6 hours). I'm actually in the middle of a disaster recovery evolution at my work precisely because a database update trashed a metadata server resulting in 30TB of now-inaccessible data. The transition from 1.3.8 to 1.4 is obviously going to be different from 1.4beta to 1.4 production on a newly provisioned PTS so the GTN could have been broken during that or anywhere along the way and nobody knows if GTN problems actually existed on PTS or not.

The GTN was already flaky after the server merge, both due to the character rename system and the sale mails that were not being culled correctly. The 1.4 patch could just have been the straw that really broke it for good, not to mention that numerous database changes are applied on the backend during the release (that's why servers are down for 6 hours). I'm actually in the middle of a disaster recovery evolution at my work precisely because a database update trashed a metadata server resulting in 30TB of now-inaccessible data. The transition from 1.3.8 to 1.4 is obviously going to be different from 1.4beta to 1.4 production on a newly provisioned PTS so the GTN could have been broken during that or anywhere along the way and nobody knows if GTN problems actually existed on PTS or not.

^This.

Speculation based on assumption. Nobody knows why the GTN is down today, except Bioware.

I would hazard a guess that it also has something to do with the new gearing release in game and the known bug thats crept in thro the door... but unless they release some decent patch note .. I guess all we can do is keep whistling in the wind.

lol, do you even know what you're saying?

-SNIP - BLAH BLAH BLAH - SNIP -

The gtn worked last night, the patch was deployed with several bugs (in addition to just the gtn) this morning, thus the gtn being down is likely a bug from the patch.

Actually that's not specifically true because the GTN was already having issues after the latest server merge, I have ticketed several times to report mails not landing when I was already withdrawing items or credits from other mail from sales.

I also had more than a few items posted that simply disappeared after recieving the ingame mail re "someone purchased my item.. no purchaser name, no item name or description and no sale value... then never recieved the proceeds of the sale

So yes its likely that the GTN was either disabled, bugged or suffered a glitch during update process.. but unless BW provides info, we are all just whistling in the wind...

The only issue in this thread is that people are going out of their way to troll others, i.e., south park dr. pepper fashion, "YOU DON'T KNOW THAT IT WAS THE PATCH THAT BROKE THE GTN!! WE DON'T KNOW!! AND WE CAN'T KNOW!!" which, suffice to say, is the only illogical/derp part of this thread.

And you are any different how exactly, seeing as you seem unwilling to accept that others may also have a point not just you.

Lastly, I'm not "set in stone" that it was the patch that broke the gtn/purposely disabled it, but it's more likely than not. And I'm not opposing to entertain anybody else's theories, the problem is that nobody else has presented any other theories other than "I'm a computer programmer, so it's not that!" and "WE CAN'T KNOW!" neither of which are really theories. Since you're a philosopher, Urael, I'm sure that you'd side with simplest explanation of "well, gtn worked last night and after the patch, now it doesn't, so it was likely related to the patch." vs the potentially infinitely more complex "we don't know and we CAN'T know!."

But the fact remains.. neither you, I, Ureal, Andrayah or anyone other than BW know the real reasons, so I guess we will just have to all agree to disagree and continue throwing wild accusations, opinions, explanations and assumptions into the air to juggle with.

With that said, there is no reason or need for anyone to insult anyone or respond in a hostile fashion, as it just comes off as trolling.

Agree... then again throwing in your Philosophical banter in your Occams Razor post could also be considered your way of trolling other posters postings based on your disagrement or unfavourable attitude at previous responses.. so I guess were all big fat hairy trolls hunting for cookies and self gratification.

Edit: btw, nice copy from wikipedia Urael :rolleyes:

I like Wikipedia its one way of getting the simplest explanation to many things.. isn't that what your previous post was trying to point out ? :rolleyes:

Edited by Bloodstealer

Repost because some people still don't get why you are getting different search results:

They changed the system from "find these exactly words" to "match any of these words". This would be fine if we can toggle between them.

The new way is somewhat useful if you don't know exactly what you want but there are instances where I want to search an EXACT item to compare prices.

wow, now you're attacking Andryah too? Assuming that's not one of your alts, it's not very polite to distinguish yourself from somebody else based on linguistic style. If it is one of your alts, then bravo to you for your devotion to role playing in changing your linguistic style based on which account you're on. That level of method acting would make Christian Bale blush.

In terms of me being this so called "AlannTH," I can assure you that is not the case. So confident am I of that that I request that the forum moderators cross check my IP address with that of this "AlannTH." And while the moderators are at it, please also cross check Urael's IP address with all those who posted in this thread as well, perhaps then we can find out how many alts Urael has, when we no longer see posts from however many people in this thread.

You are the one that originated these musings with reference to anyone having multiple accounts in this thread.

I was engaging in the proper form of reductio ad absurdum and not the hyperbolic form usually employed to illustrate a point. :rolleyes:

So, reconize. *Howard Wolowitz voice*

Schooled *Leonard Hofstadter voice*

Bazinga! *Sheldon Cooper Voice*

:D

Edited by Urael

You are the one that originated these musings with reference to anyone having multiple accounts in this thread.

I was engaging in the proper form of reductio ad absurdum and not the hyperbolic form usually employed to illustrate a point. :rolleyes:

So, reconize. *Howard Wolowitz voice*

Schooled *Leonard Hofstadter voice*

Bazinga! *Sheldon Cooper Voice*

:D

Ah, The Big Bang Theory. Would you like to come over to my Big Bang Theory viewing party? I have to say that.