They are already discussing milking the subscribers

Soluss

Also, Expansion packs don't contain the same amount of quests and land mass as the core game..if they did it would be a sequel not an expansion pack. .

its funny you say this, please reference Rift, Storm Legion expansion. it is tripling the size of the game.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its funny you say this, please reference Rift, Storm Legion expansion. it is tripling the size of the game.

Small game to start with. leveling on rails, no alternate Pve content choices in leveling.... which makes it among the most tedious of MMOs for alts.

About time they stepped up their game.

Edited by Andryah

Yes, because CLEARLY Every expansion pack DOUBLES the content of the core pack!

You clearly know nothing about expansion packs. Most expansion packs include between 5-10 level of additional content, as well as a 5-10 level cap increase. However, most expansions also include a new race/class(We are already getting the Cathar, Which despite peoples whining, I am actually looking forward to. I wish the race had a different voice, because I can see a Cathar sounding so perfectly human, but that applies to all the races in game(And sadly why the majority of my chars are human or cyborg..they could add a voice changer like they do when someone wears a helmet or rebreather)

Also, Expansion packs don't contain the same amount of quests and land mass as the core game..if they did it would be a sequel not an expansion pack. Most expansions contain a new starting area, a little reworking of older quests and one LARGE new area. From my understanding, there won't be a new starting location or reworks of old quests, however I wouldn't say this prevents it from being an expansion pack.

What is the size of this new planet? How much content will be there? Will it be story based or another PVP world? Just a raid world for end gaming or will it have SOLO content to expand on each classes story(Perhaps a 4th chapter?) I don't know any of this. If it does have that though, it IS an expansion by the same standards of every other expansion released by any other MMO.

Expansion packs:

EQ 2

Flying Mounts – Soar high above Norrath and explore EQII like never before

•Hundreds of new weapons and items – Customize your character and in-game home in thousands of ways

•Over 300 new quests – Follow the EQII storyline through the fabled lands of Velious

•Ten instanced dungeons – Crawl your way through 10 dangerous dungeons

•Four new Heritage Quests – Live the legacy of the EverQuest franchise and gain memorable rewards

•One massive contested dungeon – Good or evil, be the first to conquer the all-new contested dungeon

•Two overland zones – Journey into incredible unknown land

•Six Raid Instances – Group up with 12-24 man raids for desirable loot

•Velious-themed Battlegrounds – Get your PvP on in the snow

•A new Signature Quest line – Immerse yourself in EQII lore and get the goods

•Over 30 new creatures – Battle dangerous and fantastical enemies

•Dozens of new armor sets – Gear up in powerful armor sets

Rift:

A vast new world

Adventure across two huge new continents that more than triple the size of the existing world

Experience epic stories that reveal the true power in Telara ... and the gateway to the planes

Make your move to the island city of Tempest Bay, a new stronghold for both Guardians and Defiant

10 MORE LEVELS, 4 MORE SOULS

A new Soul for each Calling expands the Ascended Class System - build the hero you want!

Rise to new heights of power through 10 challenging levels, increasing the level cap to 60

Play your way! Choose how you level with questing and Instant Adventure everywhere, onslaughts, rifts, events, and more

BRAVE THE STORM

Achieve greatness with 7 new dungeons, 3 raids, a Chronicle, and more!

Join the Hunt: New rift gameplay propels you into battling increasingly-challenging planar bosses

Fight legions of fantastic creatures, including a Colossus that interacts with - and ravages - the world like you've never seen

MAKE TELARA YOUR OWN

Dimensions: Customizable spaces allow players and guilds to own a sliver of Telara

Take your professions to new heights with Grandmaster crafting

Become the talk of the town and boost your stats with stylish new capes

New puzzles, artifacts and collectibles, achievements, mounts, pets, titles, and much more

I could probably do one for Lotro and WoW too but I simply dont feel like it.

ToR:

Makeb - 5 levels No class stories, no companion stories, hold off on the free content updates to make it look like this "expansion" actually has something.

Sorry but Makeb is not in the same class as expansion packs.

Small game to start with. leveling on rails, no alternate Pve content choices in leveling.... which makes it among the most tedious of MMOs for alts.

There are no alternate PVE content choices in leveling in ToR either. Please tell me what they are. Unless you are talking about the very small amount of class stories. Leveling on rails? You could level by questing, by doing dynamic events and instant adventures. What can you do in ToR? The same on rail content.

About time they stepped up their game? They have put out a ton more then ToR has. They always have. I wish ToR had the releases that Rift had. Sorry but both quantity and quality of updates has blown the doors off of ToRs.

Edited by Soluss

Have you even played Rift Andryah? Because I just don't get this comment.

Yes. I played it for 10 months. 2 different servers, and 8 different characters.

The game is small by MMO standards, there is one way and only one way to level from 1 to cap, one starter zone per faction, one progress path through the zones. Rifting offers little variety or challenge to the content until end game. Events were great the first few cycles, but then it became clear that every event is pretty much the same thing with slightly different quests and quest targets.

The expansion is really what the game should have been at launch. Gee... where have I heard that one before :rolleyes:

Edited by Andryah

Yes. I played it for 10 months. 2 different servers, and 8 different characters.

The game is small by MMO standards, there is one way and only one way to level from 1 to cap, one starter zone per faction, one progress path through the zones. Rifting offers little variety or challenge to the content until end game. Events were great the first few cycles, but then it became clear that every event is pretty much the same thing with slightly different quests and quest targets.

The expansion is really what the game should have been at launch. Gee... where have I heard that one before :rolleyes:

Different from ToR how exactly? You can also level through instant adventures. Not at launch but you can now. You could always level from dynamic events. They may seem the same to you but it still is 1 more way to level then ToR has.

Ill tell you the difference between ToR and Rift, outside the fact that one is Star Wars and the other is the burnt out fantasy.... the quality and quantity of updating Rift has had. ToR cant even touch it.

if they make us pay for makeb regardless if our accumulated cartel coins will be enough then it opens the gate for saying subs will pay for all future content on top as its "huge" in their eyes.

Bioware will kill itself with this move and nothing will save this game.

if they make us pay for makeb regardless if our accumulated cartel coins will be enough then it opens the gate for saying subs will pay for all future content on top as its "huge" in their eyes.

Bioware will kill itself with this move and nothing will save this game.

Turns out..... micro-transactions are catnip to the non-subbers and may very well generate more revenue then subs do. It's why microtransactions are proliferating accross games, not just MMOs.

In which case, your concern is turned on it's head and it is the non-subs paying for the subscribers content over the long term.

It's not that small. In fact I'd say the square footage can't be far off SWTOR.

Also I managed to level alts in Rift using 1.5-2 paths per faction, something I've been unable to replicated in SWTOR.

People get so mad over things they don't know about. Take a deep breath, and think this through. Once you do, you'll realize that you can't change what BW does, or if it costs money or not. You get to make your decision when it's released and is free or paid content.

With that said, one planet could be a huge addition depending on how much content there is. What if the level cap goes up to 60? And all of it happens on Makeb? Is that worth 10-15 bucks extra? But you're already making a decision on a planet you've never played, and on content you hardly know anything about. Patience is a virtue.

People get so mad over things they don't know about. Take a deep breath, and think this through. Once you do, you'll realize that you can't change what BW does, or if it costs money or not. You get to make your decision when it's released and is free or paid content.

With that said, one planet could be a huge addition depending on how much content there is. What if the level cap goes up to 60? And all of it happens on Makeb? Is that worth 10-15 bucks extra? But you're already making a decision on a planet you've never played, and on content you hardly know anything about. Patience is a virtue.

Of course you can.

Bioware decided to remove Friendly Collision Detection in WAR, people said it would be a hugely bad idea and they changed their minds about it.

No it's not when you have already put in $180+ in sub fees and received $25 in content....

Expansion packs:

EQ 2

•Hundreds of new weapons and items – Customize your character and in-game home in thousands of ways

•Over 300 new quests – Follow the EQII storyline through the fabled lands of Velious

•Four new Heritage Quests – Live the legacy of the EverQuest franchise and gain memorable rewards

•One massive contested dungeon – Good or evil, be the first to conquer the all-new contested dungeon

Rift:

A vast new world

Adventure across two huge new continents that more than triple the size of the existing world

Experience epic stories that reveal the true power in Telara ... and the gateway to the planes

Make your move to the island city of Tempest Bay, a new stronghold for both Guardians and Defiant

A new Soul for each Calling expands the Ascended Class System - build the hero you want!

Rise to new heights of power through 10 challenging levels, increasing the level cap to 60

Play your way! Choose how you level with questing and Instant Adventure everywhere, onslaughts, rifts, events, and more

BRAVE THE STORM

Join the Hunt: New rift gameplay propels you into battling increasingly-challenging planar bosses

Fight legions of fantastic creatures, including a Colossus that interacts with - and ravages - the world like you've never seen

MAKE TELARA YOUR OWN

Dimensions: Customizable spaces allow players and guilds to own a sliver of Telara

New puzzles, artifacts and collectibles, achievements, mounts, pets, titles, and much more

ToR:

Makeb - 5 levels No class stories, no companion stories, hold off on the free content updates to make it look like this "expansion" actually has something.

Thank you, someone with a brain! I see too many people blindly defending bioware/ea in every action they make without question. You can still like the game but not like everything about it you know!

• 5 weeks later...
Expansion packs:

EQ 2

Rift:

A vast new world

BRAVE THE STORM

MAKE TELARA YOUR OWN

ToR:

This post is FULL of WIN! :D

This post is FULL of WIN! :D

He actually forget the biggest one of all going live in day or two, mist of the pandaren. Why on earth would any ex wow player pay for Makeb when you can buy MoP. Unless, BW plans to sell it for like 2-5 dollars I don't see any ex wow player buying it as it's no where near an expansion level of quality and quantity.

He actually forget the biggest one of all going live in day or two, mist of the pandaren. Why on earth would any ex wow player pay for Makeb when you can buy MoP. Unless, BW plans to sell it for like 2-5 dollars I don't see any ex wow player buying it as it's no where near an expansion level of quality and quantity.

He said somewhere in the post that he could post about LotRO and WoW but was too lazy. I'm pretty sure he was aware of that. With Mists of Pandaria coming out very, very soon, that may only dent this game's population by a little bit. It still will make a cut in the game, nonetheless. :(

It's sad that EAWare is trying to hype up Makeb with their Cathar race and extra 5 level cap increase. They've mentioned this but I dunno what'll happen to the Skill Trees after the cap, and I especially don't know how they'll handle gear as stating they're thinking of raising the level cap will make any gear for lv. 50s useless.

If the so-called Makeb expansion is nothing more but a content patch to cater to altoholics, my mind is going to explode.

Edited by MOPSFounder

Pay? My 3 friends got emails asking them to come back. Offering the MoP for free along with a level 50 Panda.

I know the fans will come in and say... well its an expansion, of course we should pay extra for it. Sorry but 1 planet and a 5 level increase is not an expansion. Its a way to justify milking more money. This is the type of content that we should have gotten all along.

Still marketing for Rift?