10 races that are better than Cathar.

Beans_of_steel

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Wookiee? Seriously?

Dude, you said that already, why are u bein like this? Buddy just don't like cathar n really wants wookiees, galaxies is gone remember n they had em. I don't see him goin on ur threads n harassing your desire to change your characters eye color and hairstyle. Just sayin.

All my slots are taken, so it wouldnt affect me in the long run...

but one problem when going around this game, is how.... none star warsy it feels.

Classic images of star wars is full of cantinas with all kinds of aliens and races....

in this game, if it varies ever so slightly from any kind of humanoid form, FORGET it.

Cant recreate these images in TOR.... cant even sit down for a start.

Anyone who is as annoyed as i am with the terrible choice of Cathar as the new playable race, please write the names of your top 10 species that you think would have been better choices, and perhaps with a little luck the right people will take notice and help ensure garbage like this doesnt happen again. Heres mine:

1.Wookiee, 2.Droid, 3.Mon Calamari, 4.Jawa, 5.Rodian, 6.Sullustan, 7.Trandoshan, 8.Quarren, 9.Duros, 10.Nogrhi

I understand some people like Cathar, and actually requested them, but this thread is more for those who didnt, and would like to throw other ideas out there.

Not Nautolans? Your list is instantly garbage.

What about Fallen like Prince Xizor or a Zeltron?

Come on using pheromones to influence people, or considering the fact that Zeltrons are supposed to be the most beautiful species in the galaxy? They would be fun.

But come on, some of the ones the OP listed and Fallen and Zeltron wern't on the list? Really?

Not Nautolans? Your list is instantly garbage.

meh Nautolans used to be cool, some people really hate the stupid cw cartoon, from his picks he seems to be a hardcore original trilogy fan, nothing wrong with that.

Its Falleen btw other guy.

Edited by Brunnis_G

What about Fallen like Prince Xizor or a Zeltron?

Come on using pheromones to influence people, or considering the fact that Zeltrons are supposed to be the most beautiful species in the galaxy? They would be fun.

But come on, some of the ones the OP listed and Fallen and Zeltron wern't on the list? Really?

I like his list. You cant even spell FALLEEN properly so its safe to say ur intel could b a bit flawed, maybe he forgot em. Falleen n Zeltron are cool ideas, i agree, but never call em Fallen man, having a species of that name wouldent even make sense. Really?

Edited by Brunnis_G

I like that u put Nogrhi on the list Beans, such a ****** species, a bit outta timeline but i agree if Chiss are in it why not the other cool unique species from Timmy Zahn's novels too. Unfortunatly so many players on here are so in love with the dumb cartoons they dont take the time to pick up a book n figure out what a good star wars story looks like, so they prolly wont get added. Great idea tho.

• 3 weeks later...
Lots of species can't speak Basic. Keep that in mind. :)

Why bother? U can make a sith pureblood into a Jedi sage, you can play a republic trooper in clone armor 3000 years before the clone wars, since they've already made a huge mess adding what they think the game needed to make money, n if the addition of alien voicing is too difficult they may as well just let specialty races speak basic too, so that fans can have at least a few more of the same species options we had in Galaxies, n to be honest I wont b pleased if Togrutans are next added, this game is already full of Ashoka rump kissers, last thing I want is to see her annoying face around every corner.

Lots of species can't speak Basic. Keep that in mind. :)

I bet you're thinking about wookies. They actually CAN speak basic if they have speech defect. There's one or two wookies with that defect in Star Wars canon. I don't see how this could not be made into SWTOR. This is the race community wants the most I think.

I personally would love to play a droid.

Jawa would be cool too, but it's not doable. Noone in the galaxy treats Jawa even with a slight bit of respect, they are mostly scavengers, they have small models, wear always a hood and there's not even one Jawa that can speak basic in the whole galaxy.

Edited by MelodicSixNine

I bet you're thinking about wookies. They actually CAN speak basic if they have speech defect. There's one or two wookies with that defect in Star Wars canon. I don't see how this could not be made into SWTOR. This is the race community wants the most I think.

no.... the Wookie you're thinking of with the speech defect DIDN'T speak basic... the speech impediment he had conveniently rendered his Shyriiwook pronunciation much easier to understand for those not fluent in the language (Leia at the time as she was still learning it)

Edited by Liquidacid

Anyone who is as annoyed as i am with the terrible choice of Cathar as the new playable race, please write the names of your top 10 species that you think would have been better choices, and perhaps with a little luck the right people will take notice and help ensure garbage like this doesnt happen again. Heres mine:

1.Wookiee, 2.Droid, 3.Mon Calamari, 4.Jawa, 5.Rodian, 6.Sullustan, 7.Trandoshan, 8.Quarren, 9.Duros, 10.Nogrhi

I understand some people like Cathar, and actually requested them, but this thread is more for those who didnt, and would like to throw other ideas out there.

1. Wookiee - Papa Lucas said, "NO!"

2. Droid - Hope Papa Lucas said, "NO!" Aside from throwing game mechanics off, it's just a bad idea.

3. Mon Calamari - Don't like them, but why not.

4. Jawa - Only if you like being kicked.

5. Rodian - Sure, oddly, I like Greedo

6. Sullustan - Not my bag, but ok too

7. Trandoshan - see No. 6

8. Quarren - also see No. 6

9. Duros - ahem, see No. 6.

10. Noghri - Can't happen, Papa Lucas didn't say so directly, but it's the same reason there will be no Ewoks. They haven't left their homeworlds at this time.

So in summation, you really did no better than Cathar. Besides, it's not like they pulled Cathar out of a hat. This was voted on by players. Sorry if you didn't vote. Shows what can happen when you don't (hint, hint Nov. 6th :eek:). If you want to impact races, a simple modification would go a long way.

Easy one, change Cyborg to Humanoids, Near-Human, or simply Alien. Throw in an array of skin tones, ears, head shapes, and attatchments and you woun't have to worry about much of the aliens in SW. It's not like race really makes that big an impact in the game. Doesn't affect stats. The only thing is some VOs. But I've noticed that there are certain ones that already call you "alien" anyway. Sure someone will just make a crazy, wierd, strange looking alien that is just a bunch of random pieces, but isn't that what made SW so great. Not every alien just looks like a human with some head and/or nose prosthetics.

I bet you're thinking about wookies. They actually CAN speak basic if they have speech defect. There's one or two wookies with that defect in Star Wars canon.

Expanded Universe is not cannon. There is no example of cannon wookies able to speak Galactic.

Expanded Universe is not cannon. There is no example of cannon wookies able to speak Galactic.

of course it's not a cannon... it doesn't shoot cannon balls or anything!

seriously the EU IS canon by verdict of GL and Lucasarts saying it is... granted it's a lower level of canon than the movies from a fans stand point it makes no difference ...

of course it's not a cannon... it doesn't shoot cannon balls or anything!

seriously the EU IS canon by verdict of GL and Lucasarts saying it is... granted it's a lower level of canon than the movies from a fans stand point it makes no difference ...

Papa Lucas never actaully said that EU is canon, as a matter of fact, he said it is its own separate universe. While he does use various aspects of EU in his film, then and only then, do they become canon.

Edited by Thylbanus

Papa Lucas never actaully said that EU is canon, as a matter of fact, he said it is its own separate universe. While he does use various aspects of EU in his film, then and only then, do they become canon.

no he appointed Leeland Chee to specifically oversee SW canon and approved his canon ranking system which is still used to this day by LA and LL on everything in the SW IP... the difference is anything Lucas himself creates is G-canon , the highest level, and will overwrite anything of any other canon level... meaning for GL himself canon doesn't matter because he can ignore everything and do whatever he wants but every single other write or producer of anything SW has to follow the G,T,C,S canon levels

Edited by Liquidacid

no he appointed Leeland Chee to specifically oversee SW canon and approved his canon ranking system which is still used to this day by LA and LL on everything in the SW IP... the difference is anything Lucas himself creates is G-canon , the highest level, and will overwrite anything of any other canon level... meaning for GL himself canon doesn't matter because he can ignore everything and do whatever he wants but every single other write or producer of anything SW has to follow the G,T,C,S canon levels

So, exactly what I said. G and L canon is practically the same, C is EU, and S is considered stories of events, but with the story tellers twist to them. Basically, rumor and urban myth. So in effect G and L are a canon unto themselves, C is what we play in (aka another universe separate from G and L). These are Georgie boy's own words:

"I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions." - George Lucas, from an interview in Starlog #337

And well S is just tall tales of the SW universe.

Edited by Thylbanus