melee and blaster pistol users thrown under the bus?

MerkSauce

I have an honest question...

What happens when this game goes F2P?

Hear me out here please. In the current event, we have to ability to get BoL blaster rifles and sniper rifles. That is all fine and dandy just as when the next event hits (01/??/13 - so they say) we will likely get BoL lightsabres or pistols of some variety. What happens when a F2P character joins this fall/winter and wants to get one of these rifles. Oh wait, they can't. Why do I bring this up? With the current setup that BW has initiated, the F2P character will have to wait for that one event to roll around again. With the current estimations of events every 4-5 months, that will likely be 2-3 years before this event occurs again. So now, by not allowing all classes the ability to get items in every event now and in the future, your effectively alienating a player base that has not even begun to play the game yet. On top of that, BoL items will mean nothing to these players as they will only be allowed one initial character slot (likely more to be purchased in cash shop, but not all will buy extra slots even if available).

The simple answer is most people won't care about the F2P accounts. With that said, that does not change the fact that BW has now set themselves up for far more of this reaction from the community in the coming years. BW, this ideology was asinine at best.

I personally do not care one bit about who gets what in the current or future events. With that said, I can understand why some people are upset about this as I foresee this happening again when the next event hits.

Edited by Xanavi

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an honest question...

What happens when this game goes F2P?

Hear me out here please. In the current event, we have to ability to get BoL blaster rifles and sniper rifles. That is all fine and dandy just as when the next event hits (01/??/13 - so they say) we will likely get BoL lightsabres or pistols of some variety. What happens when a F2P character joins this fall/winter and wants to get one of these rifles. Oh wait, they can't. Why do I bring this up?

-snip-

No offense.. But why does all that matter??

Through the existence of MMO's, there have always been things that some players got and other didn't.. Blizzard gives out pets to the people that log on during the aniversery week of the game.. Some time in November.. If you don't log on during that time, then you don't get it.. There is nothing wrong with that.. People in this game got the 'Founder' title.. If you don't have that title now, then you aren't going to get it.. The list goes on and on across countless games.. I never got my murloc pet from the first Blizzcon.. Probably because I didn't go.. Why should I whine about that??

The idea that many of you are wanting is that everything is available all the time.. Which makes every oh so not special.. In in an MMO part of what makes things special is the simple fact that not everyone has it.. For people to get the bowcaster weapon.. They have to buy them from the vendor attached to this event. When the event ends.. That will be it.. There is nothing wrong with that.. Welcome to life in an MMO..

^ This. My main is a smuggler as well and at the time of the Rakghoul event I had an agent, a bounty hunter an a trooper alt and I was not excited about the crystals at all. I think we already had the rewards for force users that people seem to be missing in this event. and I think there will be stuff for bounty hunters and smugglers in the next event (and damn, am I looking forward to that!)

So a mod you don't get to see the pretty effects of very well but nonetheless is still useful for every class=not having mods for the event at all, unless you want to pay a fortune to extract mods for alts you may or may not have or ever will, or to give a companion you may or may not ever use a goofy-looking weapon.

So in 6 months you'll be fine if the rewards are shields and foci? What about cannons and shotguns?

Through the existence of MMO's, there have always been things that some players got and other didn't.. Blizzard gives out pets to the people that log on during the aniversery week of the game.. Some time in November.. If you don't log on during that time, then you don't get it.. There is nothing wrong with that.. People in this game got the 'Founder' title.. If you don't have that title now, then you aren't going to get it.. The list goes on and on across countless games.. I never got my murloc pet from the first Blizzcon.. Probably because I didn't go.. Why should I whine about that??

The idea that many of you are wanting is that everything is available all the time.. Which makes every oh so not special.. In in an MMO part of what makes things special is the simple fact that not everyone has it.. For people to get the bowcaster weapon.. They have to buy them from the vendor attached to this event. When the event ends.. That will be it.. There is nothing wrong with that.. Welcome to life in an MMO..

I thought the point was to have fun-not try to get pixels so you can tell someone 'you don't have it! sucks to be you!'

Why are you being so rude?

Why are you being so rude?

I am not being rude.. I just fail to understand how the FTP people have any bearing on this.. There are countless things in an MMO that some people have for doing certain things.. The people that don't do those things don't have it.. I don't see the issue there..

You seem to be promoting the idea that we all should get everything whenever we want for basically nothing.. Why does one person have War Hero gear and someone else doesn't?? It doesn't matter what you are talking about.. Whether it is simply being there for an event or not being there for the event.. Nothing changes..

I am sorry you feel that disagreeing with you is being rude.. :(

I am not being rude.. I just fail to understand how the FTP people have any bearing on this.. There are countless things in an MMO that some people have for doing certain things.. The people that don't do those things don't have it.. I don't see the issue there..

You seem to be promoting the idea that we all should get everything whenever we want for basically nothing.. Why does one person have War Hero gear and someone else doesn't?? It doesn't matter what you are talking about.. Whether it is simply being there for an event or not being there for the event.. Nothing changes..

I am sorry you feel that disagreeing with you is being rude.. :(

So if Bioware had given the founder title to melee characters only and gave the ranged characters another title eventually that would be acceptable to you? What if the color crystals last event had been for sabers only and ranged were told 'maybe next event'?

I thought the point was to have fun-not try to get pixels so you can tell someone 'you don't have it! sucks to be you!'

Again.. Why should Bioware give everyone everything for doing nothing?? Should they pass out campaign gear to all as well?? It isn't about 'You don't have it.. Sucks to be you.' Maybe to you it is.. But to most others, it isn't.. I like to earn the things I have.. I like to work for them.. There is no point in playing the game if all is just provided.. Same is true with this world event..

Bioware has already stated that other things will be given during other events.. Now people can speculate all they want about when that will be.. In the end it really doesn't matter when it will be.. If you want whatever it is that will be given out, then you better be there.. Just like the people that were here for the Bowcaster.. Just like the +41 stat purple crystals when the special vendor was there on the fleet.. Or the white crystals.. Or the Korrealis mounts.. And the list goes on..

It isn't about bragging rights.. It is about feeling good about knowing that you have something that most others don't..

I don't have a problem with this approach. Makes each event a tad more unique in a way.

I do however see a small problem in the fact that next event is atm "planned for february" at best.

If this is the highest content pace you can muster BW, you ought reconsider your approach. This type of event every 6 months is just jerking the fanbases chain.

So if Bioware had given the founder title to melee characters only and gave the ranged characters another title eventually that would be acceptable to you? What if the color crystals last event had been for sabers only and ranged were told 'maybe next event'?

Bad example.. We are talking about a weapon and not a title.. Titles do not have any class restrictions.. Weapons do..

Crystals don't have a class restriction either.. Again bad example.. This weapon can be used by all characters that can use a blaster rifle.. I don't see what is so hard about that??

I don't have a problem with this approach. Makes each event a tad more unique in a way.

I do however see a small problem in the fact that next event is atm "planned for february" at best.

If this is the highest content pace you can muster BW, you ought reconsider your approach. This type of event every 6 months is just jerking the fanbases chain.

The latest info I have heard is that after FTP is live, we can expect content updates about every 6 weeks.. I doubt we will have to wait until next year..

Bad example.. We are talking about a weapon and not a title.. Titles do not have any class restrictions.. Weapons do..

Crystals don't have a class restriction either.. Again bad example.. This weapon can be used by all characters that can use a blaster rifle.. I don't see what is so hard about that??

and those classes are...? two classes, three specs (unless you want to gimp a dps commando with one).

Ok-let's say the rewards had been a techblade and an electrostaff. That's cool because companions can use them too right?

The latest info I have heard is that after FTP is live, we can expect content updates about every 6 weeks.. I doubt we will have to wait until next year..

just like earlier this year when ohlen stated content would be rolling out monthly?

if f2p goes live in november they would be lucky to get out one update before 2013.

Quite the contradiction there..

Not at all.. Just because you drive around in a Rolls Royce doesn't mean you have to go around and brag about it.. Just because you live in a 90 room mansion doesn't mean you have to brag about it.. Having nice things doesn't have mean bragging rights.. It all depends on what kind of person you are..

I see no need to brag to others about what I have in the game.. But I do get in enoyment in know that some of the things I have are rare and special.. But again, I am not going to brag about it and rub peoples nose in it..

just like earlier this year when ohlen stated content would be rolling out monthly?

if f2p goes live in november they would be lucky to get out one update before 2013.

I never heard that please provide link to that statement.. It has just said fall.. Show me where it says November,,

07.31.2012 I want to reach out today to share my thoughts on our recent announcement to expand our game to offer a Free-To-Play option this fall...

That is right off the main page..

Edited by MajikMyst

Ok-let's say the rewards had been a techblade and an electrostaff. That's cool because companions can use them too right?

So you want to compare it to weapons that are for the most part companion only??

Ok.. How about we stick to weapons that a player can use.. Like a blaster rifle..

I realise that but this is using the roadmap they layed out in interviews. In the forseeable future they're gonna roll out a new flashpoint, a new warzone, a new ops and hk-51 all as separate updates. (Lets not get started how this isnt "more content" but trickling out proper patches here).

Best case scenario, if they start rolling them out next month a new event may or may not get its turn in february or march. And we know better than to expect best case scenarios by now.

So I say again, this aint the pace that would support said vendor approach.

Edited by aeterno

Shush! That's part of the MMO pedigree that SWTOR belongs to! Gear treadmill, m'kay? God forbid somebody put the consumer's fun first *cough* ArenaNet *cough*

Again.. Why should Bioware give everyone everything for doing nothing?? Should they pass out campaign gear to all as well?? It isn't about 'You don't have it.. Sucks to be you.' Maybe to you it is.. But to most others, it isn't.. I like to earn the things I have.. I like to work for them.. There is no point in playing the game if all is just provided.. Same is true with this world event..

You are as wrong as you can be. Let me correct your example: A raid does EC Hardmode (aka, acquiring Campaign gear). Light and Medium Armor users get zero drops whatsoever in EC Hardmode. Light and Medium armor is simply not part of the loot tables. They're told to wait for the next raid where they will, hopefully, get their turn. By the same implication, Heavy Armor users might as well skip the next tier since they will likely get zero. That is a far more pertinent analogy to the Chevin event than the scenario you put up.

Bioware has already stated that other things will be given during other events.. Now people can speculate all they want about when that will be.. In the end it really doesn't matter when it will be.. If you want whatever it is that will be given out, then you better be there.. Just like the people that were here for the Bowcaster.. Just like the +41 stat purple crystals when the special vendor was there on the fleet.. Or the white crystals.. Or the Korrealis mounts.. And the list goes on..

Blizzard can afford this. I sincerely doubt SWTOR can. 6 month subs are running out pretty much right now and the game is hemorrharging subs. The anticipated Chevin event was an opportunity to convince everybody that the design-direction and their continued engagement in this game was worth paying for. Instead we got a base fetch/kill X grind-fest which was not only bugged for an entire faction but which also highlighted a blatant lack of innovation and fun. While your metrics may vary, it is indisputable that most people have not found the event worthwhile.

So you want to compare it to weapons that are for the most part companion only??

Ok.. How about we stick to weapons that a player can use.. Like a blaster rifle..

What are you on about? Those are player usable, the game just don't support it through competitive itemization.

So a mod you don't get to see the pretty effects of very well but nonetheless is still useful for every class=not having mods for the event at all, unless you want to pay a fortune to extract mods for alts you may or may not have or ever will, or to give a companion you may or may not ever use a goofy-looking weapon.

Welps, yeah! With the event endgame crystals became available from so many different sources, that they weren't really anything special except for the color. *shrug*

So in 6 months you'll be fine if the rewards are shields and foci? What about cannons and shotguns?

If you look at the kinds of rewards, you may notice that they are, in effect (except for those few at just the right level for it being an epic upgrade), vanity items. No one (only a very few, for a limited time) gets an an advantage out of them than cannot be trumped by regularly available items.

So in the light of that, giving out invisible items is most likely not going to happen. In terms of visibility, force users and rifle users had their fun, and when bounty hunters and smugglers get their turn in six months, yes, I'm going to be excited about it.

I realise that but this is using the roadmap they layed out in interviews. In the forseeable future they're gonna roll out a new flashpoint, a new warzone, a new ops and hk-51 all as separate updates. (Lets not get started how this isnt "more content" but trickling out proper patches here).

Best case scenario, if they start rolling them out next month a new event may or may not get its turn in february or march. And we know better than to expect best case scenarios by now.

So I say again, this aint the pace that would support said vendor approach.

While I see your point.. Using your timeline.. I am still left with the thought that this is still a vanilla version.. What events did WOW have at launch??

As time goes on more and more will be added.. Like I said.. Rome wasn't built in a day.. Ok.. So we will have to wait for something.. So what?? I don't know about you, but I am here to stay.. I love my guild.. I love the people in my guild.. I am having a blast!! This game is awsome!! Sure.. Some of the bugs are annoying.. Dealing with the LFG system is a nightmare.. Half the time we don't even get your comms.. We don't even use it for guild Op runs anymore.. To much of a hassle if someone gets DC'd.. That doesn't mean I am not having fun or I am going to whine and complain about it..

Just like the weapon in the current event.. I don't have a single character than can use it.. Still, I got one cause they are legacy bound.. I may get another for a companion or something.. In either case, I see nothing to worry about.. If you are someone that is going to be leaving the game soon and you won't see the other events.. Well then.. Your leaving so why does it matter anyways?? If you are going to be here for the long haul like me.. Then what is there to worry about?? Your day will come.. Just have fun, do a HM with your guild or put together a premade and go destroy some PVP..

Edited by MajikMyst