Don't you dare go Pay2Win Bioware!

GrandAdmiral

True, even convenience items can wreck balance I suppose.

Examples they gave were on things like bag and bank space reductions and quick travel options though.

Wouldn't it be interesting if those quick travel options were new options only available in the cash shop (say, straight to my ship regardless where I am), they were buy-per-use items, and the cartel coin stipend they give subscribers wouldn't cover a reasonable month's worth of them?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't it be interesting if those quick travel options were new options only available in the cash shop (say, straight to my ship regardless where I am), they were buy-per-use items, and the cartel coin stipend they give subscribers wouldn't cover a reasonable month's worth of them?

It would be very interesting indeed, because those like me who work all day and have at most a couple hours a few times a week to play value our time and would happily pay to reduce the games forced downtime (travel).

This is where you call me a sheep.

Clearly, they do not. If they did, they would have invested the last X months of our subscription fees into content that would make the game worth subscribing to, rather than building infrastructure for a cash shop.
Also on this, Gamescom 2012 is around the corner and Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ will be there. (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5005976#edit5005976). You don't think they might, just might, be saving some announcement for that? Edited by Jnight

It would be very interesting indeed, because those like me who work all day and have at most a couple hours a few times a week to play value our time and would happily pay to reduce the games forced downtime (travel).

This is where you call me a sheep.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh... I'm not going to call you a sheep. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have options, especially options that help you spend more time enjoying the great parts about the game and less time on the droll, needless stuff like all the loading screens.

But, still, for as nice a feature as a way to bypass a crapton of loading screens would be, if they implement it as cash shop only, that could be considered pay-to-win, right? :(

Also on this, Gamescom 2012 is around the corner and Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ will be there. (http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...76#edit5005976). You don't think they might, just might, be saving some announcement for that?

They've promised "more content, more often" so many times and failed to deliver every single time. At this point the evidence suggests, to me, at least, they are absolutely incapable of coming anywhere near that promise. Might they be saving the announcement for that? Sure. That would put them on pace for, what, content every ~6 months? Or slower, even? When they've suggested every 4-6 weeks was their target?

Edited by DarthTHC

But, still, for as nice a feature as a way to bypass a crapton of loading screens would be, if they implement it as cash shop only, that could be considered pay-to-win, right? :(
Some might, I wouldn't. To me Pay to Win is something that gives a competitive advantage at end game or in PvP. I mean sure with increased travel you can get items, credits, etc faster, but at end game it doesn't really make a huge difference. It's not like getting stats or a weapon that are otherwise only available through raiding. That's how I view P2W. Circumventing the harder aspects of the game by paying for them.

I guess its a fine line, as others pointed out access to a simple health pot can break balance.

Edited by Jnight

Naaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh... I'm not going to call you a sheep. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have options, especially options that help you spend more time enjoying the great parts about the game and less time on the droll, needless stuff like all the loading screens.

No... My ability to quick travel more than you does not affect my ability to outperform you in PVP or PVE. That is what P2W is. When the people with the most money to waste get better gear, more buffs, etc... just by spending money instead of putting the time and effort in to it. You need to rethink your idea of a good idea and cash perk vs. something that truly throws off the balance of the game, giving the advantage to the people with the most cash. Sure, they can quest faster, but when it comes down to gearing up, they still have to wait in the same load screens as the rest of us for Flashpoints, Ops, and PVP.

This would be a great investment for people with lower-end computers that have ridiculous load times, but it will not let them be better than me just because they can spend more on items that let them get from point a to point b faster.

You'd probably consider a faster speeder play to win.

Non game breaking stuff that would be cool to put at the cash shop and that will give them $$$$ and give the game a long life:

- Paid character transfers.

- Paid rename.

- Paid race change/face change.

- weapons/armos skins (no stats), vanity items, ship decorations, speeders, etc..

- vanity pets, dances, emotions, etc.

- Warzones/Flashpoint/Operation packages for F2P players.

- Character slots, creation options, bank space, etc for F2P players

- Inc exp game/drop rate for X ammount of time.

Stuff I don't want to see in the cash shop and will make me stop playing:

- Paid advanced class respect (so ppl won't switch to the FotM class every time they want....you are a commando stick with it or reroll a Vanguard)

- Better items than the ones you get in game (i.e. 250% speeder with no chance to dismount, better ship upgrades, etc)

- Vanity items/costumes with stats (Polar Bear costume +50 all stats + 500hp + 3% atk speed for 30days...have to renew it each month)

- Crafting materials

- Cash shop only companions (new R2-D2 companion tank+heals+dps, batteries sold separately)

- Cash shop only stats buffs.... +500 expertice amulet for 30days, +5k HP scroll for 2 hours. +500 power/surge/alacrity scroll for 2 hours, etc.

- Endgame PVE/P weapons/armors....grind that Rakata/War Hero set like we all did.

So if I pay a sub, I can use/save the cartel coins to buy a cool looking armor skin, or to change my human jedi to a zabrak, sutff like that......not paying USD 15 each month for full game access, but besides that having to pay USD 7 each month for a + stats costume + USD 5 each month for a expertice buff + USD 1 for each stat scroll just to be able to compite in a RWZ

Non game breaking stuff that would be cool to put at the cash shop and that will give them $$$$ and give the game a long life:

- Paid character transfers.

- Paid rename.

- Paid race change/face change.

- weapons/armos skins (no stats), vanity items, ship decorations, speeders, etc..

- vanity pets, dances, emotions, etc.

- Warzones/Flashpoint/Operation packages for F2P players.

- Character slots, creation options, bank space, etc for F2P players

- Inc exp game/drop rate for X ammount of time.

Stuff I don't want to see in the cash shop and will make me stop playing:

- Paid advanced class respect (so ppl won't switch to the FotM class every time they want....you are a commando stick with it or reroll a Vanguard)

- Better items than the ones you get in game (i.e. 250% speeder with no chance to dismount, better ship upgrades, etc)

- Vanity items/costumes with stats (Polar Bear costume +50 all stats + 500hp + 3% atk speed for 30days...have to renew it each month)

- Crafting materials

- Cash shop only companions (new R2-D2 companion tank+heals+dps, batteries sold separately)

- Cash shop only stats buffs.... +500 expertice amulet for 30days, +5k HP scroll for 2 hours. +500 power/surge/alacrity scroll for 2 hours, etc.

- Endgame PVE/P weapons/armors....grind that Rakata/War Hero set like we all did.

So if I pay a sub, I can use/save the cartel coins to buy a cool looking armor skin, or to change my human jedi to a zabrak, sutff like that......not paying USD 15 each month for full game access, but besides that having to pay USD 7 each month for a + stats costume + USD 5 each month for a expertice buff + USD 1 for each stat scroll just to be able to compite in a RWZ

^ Exactly this.

To you good sir

Aaaahhh I hate Joffrey.....can I ruin HBO next season and give all Storm of Swords spoilers? (next season to be released) :D:D:D

Ha.. you better not. I'm not even caught up on Season 2. And then I read the book after I watch the entire season since the book is always much better!