Forbes thinks TOR is a financial disaster for EA. Your thoughts

Ensquire

I think all three games mentioned in the article have the top down stench of EA business practices souring their potential sales. I know as a fan of Battlefield since 1942 became Desert Warfare, I read many, many post complaining of lack of LAN support, and lack of modding support. EA didn't recognize the difference in the Battlefield franchise fans and the CoD ones. CoD was a console game from the outset, not so with Battlefield. So EA made a calculated decision to cast off its fan base in hopes of grabbing the console market. Big mistake.

Couple that with their marketing the most popular map off all time as a DLC and you can see why fans were a little ticked at EA.

The same trickery came into play with Mass Effect 3. A great game, but with the day 1 DLC controversy, the horrible ending (punctuated by the infamous DLC advert following said ending), they again gutted fans in favor of another market. I used to buy Madden, but after this last year I refused to buy NCAA and I refuse to buy Madden. I may be only one person, but it looks like I'm not the only one who is tired of Riccitiello's shtick. Go back to Sara Lee you hack!

Now I like SWTOR, but it is a far cry from what was promised, and as someone who was a very active member of the forums for three years prior to launch, I got to watch as one promise after another went out the window. We watched as feedback was ignored and features were implemented in direct contradiction to player opinion. Well, BioWare, maybe you didn't have a choice in dealing with EA, but this is what happens when you get in bed with a corporate entity who has long ago abandoned any semblance of a gaming company, and has become the multimedia conglomerate juggernaut they are.

Edited by Rikalonius

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHERE DID I say ITs THE ONLY REASON? You are totally on glue, I said they have an effect on their stock

Glue would explain a lot about the people on these forums...

the things people say while they're defending BW/EA...

Kingdom of Amur was published by EA not developed

What is your point. Same with SW:ToR.

They are a publishing company. When games they publish and have high hopes for do badly thats not good.

Kindom of Armur was supose to be phase one in a new MMO. But that is done now as well. They company they were backing actual went bankrupt after the game.

Edited by Lt_Latency

The NFL article is actually about EA monopoly on the NFL and games, and a 23 million hit to keep the franchise is small potatoes to EA (considering they'll make that up with madden <add what ever year here>)

I will admit EA keeping the CEO might be the reason the stock hit rock bottom the other day, I was expecting roger moore to replace him

however this article does support what I've just said about loss in number meant a loss in stock for EA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17989756

But in none of your articles does it say they have a direct connection to a drop in stock

Neither do any of yours, they have speculation to why the stock prices fell. Before it was settled that lawsuit will have done alot of damage too. But i still put this at the feet of the CEO and its no coincidence that the day they state they are keeping the ceo is the same day the stocks drop like a rock.

Edited by Shingara

They are a publishing company. When games they publish and have high hopes for do badly thats not good.

Kindom of Armur was supose to be phase one in a new MMO. But that is done now as well.

...... sigh..... Just when I think you can't make more of a fool of yourself.

EA publishes AND develops. EA OWNS Bioware so when Bioware makes a game it is EA that is giving them cash to make it.

Kingdom of Alumar (the single player game) was only published by EA so they only had to pay for distribuision and advertising. They also get a cut of the profits AFTER EA recoups its cost for distribution and advertising. It's not as much as when they develop a game but there is also less risk.

EA invested 0 dollars into the Kindgoms of Alumor MMO. So when that 38 studios went under EA DIDN'T LOSE ANY MONEY

They did however make a LOT of money off of the Kingdoms of Alumor Single Player game since it was a hit.

See the difference?

Edited by jarjarloves

Kindom of Armur was supose to be phase one in a new MMO. But that is done now as well.

No BW/EA developed TOR

KoA was made by Kurt Shelling company and published by EA, and

the second game was being shopped around Rockstars company Take Two was going to publish that

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/07/24/grand-theft-auto-publisher-nearly-financed-amalur-sequel

Kindom of Armur was supose to be phase one in a new MMO. But that is done now as well. They company they were backing actual went bankrupt after the game.

Not true at all....

EA owns Bioware. They gutted their company and replaced the real Bioware developers with their own.

38 studios went belly up and EA bought the license.....KoA

38 studios had no input(interference) from EA when they developed.

"Bioware" had to have all of their decisions approved by EA.

neither do any of yours, they have speculation to why the stock prices fell. Before it was settled that lawsuit will have done alot of damage too. But i still put this at the feet of the ceo.

that link shows you, despite good earnings the stock dropped, that was the end of quarter report for april, good earning meant the stock should go up, it didn't it went down, the negative in ea report was a loss of 500k subscribers in this game. the article says as much and goes into way more detail

Edited by Ensquire

that link shows you, despite good earnings the stock dropped, that was the end of quarter report for april, good earning meant the stock should go up, it didn't it went down, the negative in ea report was a loss of 500k subscribers in this game. the article says as much and goes into way more detail

No it says what happened in the ea family and then go look thats why the stocks dropped with no proof. And the invester call including swtor was good and yet the stocks went down. Like i said CEO, subs went up btw not down.

Edited by Shingara

Not true at all....

EA owns Bioware. They gutted their company and replaced the real Bioware developers with their own.

38 studios went belly up and EA bought the license.....KoA

38 studios had no input(interference) from EA when they developed.

"Bioware" had to have all of their decisions approved by EA.

KoA IP hasn't been bought out yet and is still owned by the state of Rhode Island

No BW/EA developed TOR

KoA was made by Kurt Shelling company and published by EA, and

the second game was being shopped around Rockstars company Take Two was going to publish that

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/07/24/grand-theft-auto-publisher-nearly-financed-amalur-sequel

So if you an investor in my company.

I tell you we are going to help publish a game and turn it into a MMO after to make mad cash.

Then i tell you the game failed and the company went bankrupt???

Are you happy with or dissapointed with the result as an investor.

Edited by Lt_Latency

My bad wrong article

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-05-07/industries/31606454_1_ea-sales-active-subscribers-colin-sebastian

The results from “Star Wars: The Old Republic” helped send the videogame publisher’s shares down more than 5% in after-hours trading on Monday following the results.

Like i said it had an effect on the stock, a contributing factor but not the only one

Edited by Ensquire

I tell you we are going to help publish a game and turn it into a MMO after to make mad cash.

The Politicians are pissed in Rhode Island, because the state publicly funded it. Its an interesting read

Edited by Ensquire

My bad wrong article

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-05-07/industries/31606454_1_ea-sales-active-subscribers-colin-sebastian

The results from “Star Wars: The Old Republic” helped send the videogame publisher’s shares down more than 5% in after-hours trading on Monday following the results.

Like i said it had an effect on the stock

Nah whats has happened there is people going why have the stock prices dropped, right ye thats it over there swtor. But ow could it be all the rumblings from ME3, nah not that, erm hows about any of the other things EA are doing, what about the lose of investment returns from need for speed worlds. Nah its got to be swtor.

Will swtor have an effect on share price, yes but not alot, stock prices for ea have been dropping conatsntly before and after swtors release so the reason for the drop has tobe something unrelated to it. http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/ta?s=EA&t=1y&l=on&z=l&q=l&p=&a=&c=

Edited by Shingara

The Politicians are pissed in Rhode Island, because the state publicly funded it. Its an interesting read

publishers don't work for free.

Are you happy that I picked this project and thought we could turn into a massive MMO later on??

Or APB, or Warhammer ect ect ect They have a huge list of picks that tanked lately. Thats the problem

Edited by Lt_Latency

no you still don't understand. EA didn't invest any money in the MMO. It doesn't matter that 38 studios went under. It didn't cost EA anything. There are tons of games that EA makes a deal to publish that don't get publsihed for a variaty of reasons. That has no affect on the stock espeically since KoA MMO wasn't due for another 2 years or so.

Nah whats has happened there is people going why have the stock prices dropped, right ye thats it over there swtor. But ow could it be all the rumblings from ME3, nah not that, erm hows about any of the other things EA are doing, what about the lose of investment returns from need for speed worlds. Nah its got to be swtor.

Will swtor have an effect on share price, yes but not alot, stock prices for ea have been dropping conatsntly before and after swtors release so the reason for the drop has tobe something unrelated to it.

If you put 500 million on a horse... It better win, that's all I'm saying

Just so we are clear, any other horse EA invests in is maybe in the 40m-60m range

Edited by Ensquire

Did I say he worked as staff for Forbes? No, I did not. Freelance, staff or whatever, he is providing Forbes with articles that they publish. This makes him a journalist. In addition, Forbes is also known as being a reputable site. I'm pretty sure Paul Tassi's submissions must be at a certain level of professionalism, or they would not publish it.

so now you agree with me? then why would you quote me and try to say I was wrong?

Fact: he does not meet the legal definition of journalist.

http://hlpronline.com/2011/02/whos-really-a-journalist/

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Journalist+Shield+Laws

Fact: he does not have a degree in journalism as per his profile which I linked previously

Fact: he is not employed by Forbes. He does not work for Forbes. He is not an employee of Forbes. He is not on Forbes staff.

Fact: he is a freelance writer about GAMING culture. He is not educated or experienced enough to be making the claims he is. His entire piece is based around GUESTIMATES and "possibly" and "perhaps." He uses these qualifiers over a dozen times because he knows he doesn't have FACTS to back him up.

He is a random kid with a gaming background writing a BLOG piece about EA and Star Wars. He is not a financial analyst. He is not an economist. He is not a journalist. He is a BLOGGER writing OPINION pieces about gaming which FORBES has published. You are wrong.

Edited by Durasturan

publishers don't work for free.

Are you happy that I picked this project and thought we could turn into a massive MMO later on??

Or APB, or Warhammer ect ect ect They have a huge list of picks that tanked lately. Thats the problem

correct that's why the Publisher gets to recoup their costs FIRST then they get a percentage of the profit.

APB was PUBLISHED by EA not Developed.. correction it wasn't even publshed techniaclly only distrubited. Another company actually did the publshing so EA had a very small claim to that game and EA DID NOT shut it down.

Warhammer that game wasn't a hit but its hard to say if they lost money on it seeing as they are still running it and have spawned a F2P MOBA game from it.

so now you agree with me? then why would you quote me and try to say I was wrong?

Fact: he does not meet the legal definition of journalist.

http://hlpronline.com/2011/02/whos-really-a-journalist/

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Journalist+Shield+Laws

Fact: he does not have a degree in journalism as per his profile which I linked previously

Fact: he is not employed by Forbes. He does not work for Forbes. He is not an employee of Forbes. He is not on Forbes staff.

Fact: he is a freelance writer about GAMING culture. He is not educated or experienced enough to be making the claims he is. His entire piece is based around GUESTIMATES and "possibly" and "perhaps." He uses these qualifiers over a dozen times because he knows he doesn't have FACTS to back him up.

He is a random kid with a gaming background writing a BLOG piece about EA and Star Wars. He is not a financial analyst. He is not an economist. He is not a journalist. He is a BLOGGER writing OPINION pieces about gaming which FORBES has published. You are wrong.

Fox new would hire him as a journalist, forbes publishes his blogs and he has a degree in economics, good enough for me

Edited by Ensquire

If you put 500 million on a horse... It better win, that's all I'm saying

Just so we are clear, any other horse EA invests in is maybe in the 40m-60m range

If swtor were a horse it would be a Arabian horse and not a American Quarter Horse, it would be about endurance and not the short sprint, you want the money to come back at a steady pace and for a long time to maximize your investment, not a sprint horse that charges ahead gets your money back then burns itself out.

Just so we are clear, the other horse in eas stable is tsw.

If swtor were a horse it would be a Arabian horse and not a American Quarter Horse, it would be about endurance and not the short sprint, you want the money to come back at a steady pace and for a long time to maximize your investment, not a sprint horse that charges ahead gets your money back then burns itself out.

Just so we are clear, the other horse in eas stable is tsw.

I love your optimism :D