The Old Republic at E3 2012!

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They thought it would draw 500k subs. Stop making up crap, you really don't need to make anything up to talk about the failings of the game.

SW:TOR didn't fail because it needed to be the next WOW killer to make money and failed at doing so. SW:TOR failed because it had a target of 500,000 subs, ended up with 2.2 million in sales, and DIDN'T CAPITALIZE ON THIS AWESOME OPPORTUNITY.

No one at EA of Bioware thought this game was going to be the next WOW (EA has said in both earning reports about this game that they don't understand why the media is so interested in such a tiny, unimportant game they never planned on making more money off of then tiger woods 2012). But it had the chance to be. That's the shame of it.

You seriously think that Bioware spent years and hundreds of millions developing an MMO and leasing out the "Star Wars" brandname... for 500,000 people?

You seriously think that Bioware spent years and hundreds of millions developing an MMO and leasing out the "Star Wars" brandname... for 500,000 people?

According to the earnings call last year? Yes. Of course they hope for more, but any business has a low-threshhold target.

I would say the were probably aiming for 700k and the game to last a decade.

According to the earnings call last year? Yes. Of course they hope for more, but any business has a low-threshhold target.

Actually, and as you know, when EA acquired BW their stated aim was to take on WOW, they have continued to temper their expectations since.

Also, 500k is a break even point I hope they dont have the word 'target' anywhere near it.

Actually, and as you know, when EA acquired BW their stated aim was to take on WOW, they have continued to temper their expectations since.

Also, 500k is a break even point I hope they dont have the word 'target' anywhere near it.

You say "break even point" I say "low-threshhold", we both mean the same thing. No need to nitpick semantics. It was stated. That makes it a target.

And yes, I know it was EA's aim to take on WoW, much to BW's dismay. BW has been downplaying EA's ridiculous claims for years now.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

the media and web barrage against it from the assorted trolls and GW2 fans has been constant for the last five months.

Sites like Gamespy - and even Forbes! - are attacking SWTOR in behalf of ArenaNet claiming that everything that would be otherwise better in SWTOR actually make it worse, because it's otherwise better features supposedly hamper "gameplay" - like better cinematicals... About 98 % of comments to the latest Gamespy "GW2 is better than SWTOR in everything" article were from rabid GW2 fans and when a couple of people dared to protest, they were declared to be "Biodrones" and the GW2 trolls wondered why their posts were even allowed to be seen...

NCSoft and ArenaNet must have spent a fortune in these kind of "viral" campaigns to up their game and discredit SWTOR.

Personally, I have grown to loath everything in GW2, it's maker, publisher and fans.

Edited by Parali
replies

the media and web barrage against it from the assorted trolls and GW2 fans has been constant for the last five months.

Sites like Gamespy - and even Forbes! - are attacking SWTOR in behalf of ArenaNet claiming that everything that would be otherwise better in SWTOR actually make it worse, because it's otherwise better features supposedly hamper "gameplay" - like better cinematicals... About 98 % of comments to the latest Gamespy "GW2 is better than SWTOR in everything" article were from rabid GW2 fans and when a couple of people dared to protest, they were declared to be "Biodrones" and the GW2 trolls wondered why their posts were even allowed to be seen...

NCSoft and ArenaNet must have spent a fortune in these kind of "viral" campaigns to up their game and discredit SWTOR.

Personally, I have grown to loath everything in GW2, it's maker, publisher and fans.

All companies spend lots on marketing, thats why the 'sites' proclaim the next AAA MMO as the best thing since sliced bread, because they are paid to do so. Last year SWTOR paid them, now it's GW2, next year I'll be TESO.

Edited by Sanxxx

Wars basins were hold and control with forts, those at lower levels which worked at lower levels and prob would in swtor for buffs on experience and powers. top level they were a hold and control until you goto a main city of the opposing faction.

Now as illum stood you had points to control and objectives to take down via the dailys, you could technically win the zone, but what then, you had no objective beyond it, you couldnt attack drumy kas or corry. there was no objective within it beyond holding it, like an operation. there was in realistic terms no real reason to want to control illum.

The best pvp and open world pvp only happens when your fighting for something of value, killing each other isnt enough unless your one of the truly hardcore.

Orginally you had to take both keeps and HOLD them for 2 hours, then usually win enough warzones, and hold all 4 battlefield objectives AND maybe do some PvE quests to get enough victory points to lock a zone.

With 1.4 they changed that system a bit, but either system was much better and much more advanced than Ilum, which was basically a daily quest with no real way to "win" a zone.

Man... All the negativity surrounding this player base is just so deflating sometimes. :(

I understand if you don't like the game, but why do you all feel the need to talk others into feeling the same way about it as yourself? It's almost like you yourself are trying to get others to follow along to justify your personal feelings about this game.

And if you quit months ago why do you still feel the need to post in the forums? Seems like a pretty silly way to spend your free time.

i agree with you complete i bought the game a month ago and realy like it this is my first mmo.i nevar played pvp true but freankly a will not play.a game for me must have a good story if the story is good i will overlook other things like graphics,take kotor for ex ,inished 2 days ago,the graphics ware really bad (the game was realesd in 2004 if im not wrong)but the story was epic it made countinue to play the game.this game is realy good and im not even a star wars fan i didnt even saw the movies.so if you dont like the game i dont undertsand whi you keep plaing it

so bioware keep up the good work i played every game from DAO to this on enjoid all EVEN ME3 LIKET THE ENDIN TOO

and sorry for my english

Hi there!

We recently had to remove some posts in this thread due to derailing comments and bickering. We wanted to take a moment and remind everyone of the Forum Rules and Guidelines.

Please remember that users are allowed to disagree with one another. We understand that sometimes subjects can get heated, but we do ask that everyone be respectful and polite to each other while expressing an opinion. Here are some quick examples to keep in mind when posting.

• Never insult another community member.
  • Always discuss the topic and give constructive criticism.
  • If you feel someone is violates the Rules of Conduct, do not reply to them; simply report (flag) the post.
  • If someone is being a troll, don’t feed them. Simply do not reply and report the post.
  • Be respectful to all community members; while you may not agree with their opinion, you should not be rude to them.

Keep in mind that posts are occasionally removed not because they themselves are violations, but because they are responses to other rule-breaking posts.

Thanks for your understanding, and please continue the friendly debate!

Incredibly bright, seriously?

How much ads did you guy buy out on this web site?

Character transfers... helps, still until seeing such a future for the game you got a few mountains to climb and that's without taking into account you're going to be hit by at least a huge avalanche named GW2.

About the supposedly epic content:

• Raising the level cap on a shaky basement is a bad idea, especially so soon after launch
  • A welcome new specie that's just a face humanoid reskin. How about Wookies, Ithorian, Rodian...
  • The new companion is welcome yet the data has been in the client files since launch, so why not before?
  • The new space mission will get old faster than anything else.
  • The displayed bosses fits more a TSW Call of Cthulhu than SWG IP and you are still doing the same mistake of insanely huge bosses being beaten by many players.
  • One new Warzone and yet no world PvP at all.
  • How about fixes for the game engine and something better than 1997 shadows?
  • Video displaying the much disliked 1.2 non iconic gear, bad idea.
  • Yet no chat bubbles
  • Gear customization still lower than we can find in others AAA MMO with appearance tabs and gear dyes
  • Character body customization not improved
  • Talent trees lacking any choices
  • Gear that still does 80% of the PvP outcome
  • Imposed companions choices due to their locked roles

Let's go through the 1.3 patch:

• Quite none content
  • Ranked WZ without any rules that will end in a big mess
  • Lacking Group finder functionality
  • Lackluster "legacy" features that in fact have only legacy as the name as only applying to specific character and BTW still very expansive.

Unfortunate but kind of true.

I'm actually kind of worried about the space mission they're planning to add. To me it seems that this is an admission that the space combat system is not going to be changed, despite the fact that it has loads of room for improvement.

I'm actually kind of worried about the space mission they're planning to add. To me it seems that this is an admission that the space combat system is not going to be changed, despite the fact that it has loads of room for improvement.

You could look at it like that or you could see it as the space combat we have now isnt going away and that the other system is being added along side it.

Edited by Shingara

You could look at it like that or you could see it as the space combat we have now isnt going away and that the other system is being added along side it.

Yeah I see no reason why the current space combat (which actually works quite well with the levelling process) couldn't be kept along side a more expansive space expansion.

In fact unless they can some how incorporated the old missions for levelling into any new system, then the game would be stronger with both. :)

This year’s E3 in Los Angeles was an incredible experience, and everyone who saw the behind-closed-doors preview of upcoming content walked away impressed.

See guys they are planning something incredible!! Make sure you stay subscribed for this cuz if everyone at E3 walked away impressed it's gonna be HUGE!!

Edited by Taurusaud

I was the one who left SWTOR few weeks ago because of Diablo 3 and Beta week end for GW2 ...

But you know what, it's not better there. As a PvP player the gameplay and the fluidity of SWTOR is really good. SWTOR dissapoint me when they cancelled the ranked at 1.2 and I left few weeks after this. But now, at looking at it, I understand the choice thay made. The population on server wasn't healthy and with the transfer we have now, we got back a good population on theses server, so the ranking PVP system is applicable. +1 for the transfer.

There is a proverb in Quebec that I will try to translate: Because the grass is greener at your neiber, it doesn't mean it's better there. That mean in our context that some games look better than SWTOR in theory, but in reality we don't know the true value of what we have in our hand now. SWTOR isn't perfect, but sometimes when you go out and see others games that aren't better than you expected, you can appreciate more SWTOR.

Edited by Rendolphe

I agree with this. I see no reason to replace the rail-shooter, but to another space system alongside it.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

New level cap? Does that mean we'll be leveling past 50?

:csw_fett:

So far, what's been said is a (possible) level cap increase to 55, but that the endgame will still start at 50. It's an interesting new concept, can't wait to see how it plays out.

But with the shallow gear curve, and the fact that campaign gear is level 61, I can see how it can work.

this is another fail atempt to bring back from the subs they lost but ppl wont be tricket anymore about this false statements..today my subs go out too and this is not because of the game but because of the Balance classes in pvp wich is not even there lol....this game is same as wow...each patch 1 class gets destroyed(nerfed)and you have to reroll another char bring it up to 50 and regear it ....Boring stuff...maybe when they will learn to balance the classes they will bring back some of the lost subs(including me)...but until then i am out i did already payed enough to play my broken class for 2 useless months(this included 1 month and half on a dead server without anything to do)

I am looking forward to seeing all the new updates. And would really enjoy a bright future. However, I would really like to see some "world pvp". Furthermore, would like to see some rewards for gaining Valor besides titles. Maybe some unique saber crystals or clothing. That being said, it may at least get players back out in Ilum again. Everything has been pushed to warzones. And, warzones alone get boring. So ranked warzones are fine. But lets get some rewards for Valor again..and get some world pvp events rolling. I just want to add.. it seems like speeders have lost sound. I can not hear my speeder anymore! I checked all my volume controls, so my comp is not the problem. Not sure if anyone else notices this?