SWTOR "looking at free-to-play"?

Abominant

People seem to forget that F2P still has a "premium" access which allows players to continue to pay per month with their Subscription. Everyone that still wants to raid and do rated warzones, will probably not be effected by a F2P addition to this game.

If anything, F2P brings in more players for the base worlds and keeps Bioware actually working on more content. They (Bioware) just needs to realize that they can't make the game a Pay to Win type game because that will force a lot of the loyal customers right out the door.

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. You are wrong. I just checked thier website. It is 9.99 per month. I think in today's economy why some MMO's stick with 14.99 per month is not a good decision. They may get more subs and come out overall ahead if they dropped it to 9.99.

You're both right, actually.

LotRO has three levels of subscription, with various benefits. Free, Premium, and VIP. Free is free, obviously. Premium is 9.99, and VIP is 14.99. VIP is the roughly equal to what you'd get through a typical subscription model game. Premium is sort of an in-between, giving less character slots and less bag space (among other things) than VIP.

I do believe that you can get VIP for 9.99 a month if you pay for 12 months though, which might have been the offer you saw. It's actually very difficult to finding the actual pricing for the game.

People seem to forget that F2P still has a "premium" access which allows players to continue to pay per month with their Subscription. Everyone that still wants to raid and do rated warzones, will probably not be effected by a F2P addition to this game.

If anything, F2P brings in more players for the base worlds and keeps Bioware actually working on more content. They (Bioware) just needs to realize that they can't make the game a Pay to Win type game because that will force a lot of the loyal customers right out the door.

Not all f2p does. and even with games like lotro that do there are things you still dont get with your premium that you would get in a pure subscription game.

That's because end-game is pointless. Why spend 2h in a raid when you can buy your item set with the amount of cash you make in an hour at work. Not only that, but *usually* you need to shell out cash to even access the content, then some more to get the items to actually do it.

That was sort of my point, and one of the reasons I don't like the F2P model.

Well. I have spent 149.93 for TOR for 6 months of play and I never did get to experence any end game content such as OP''s. Only one level 50 FP after hours and hours on Fleet trying to get grps for those during 5 months of game time. I would say BioWare owes me a refund..lol.

And I have 3 characters with rakata gear, 7x50. I played the game for them instead of logging into a shop and loved it.

That's because end-game is pointless. Why spend 2h in a raid when you can buy your item set with the amount of cash you make in an hour at work. Not only that, but *usually* you need to shell out cash to even access the content, then some more to get the items to actually do it.

Not all F2P games do that, though most do. It would be nice if future F2P MMOs do keep it in mind that circumventing the game through pay to win channel is totally not kosher to old school gamers, but to be realistic they need to make money.

And in this day and age, the increasing majority of gamers are just too strapped for time to spend any of it to actually 'play' a game. IIRC the average gamer is in the 30s now? They dont want to spend 8 hours to raid to get a sparkly purple when they could spend $$ to get it instantly so they can play right after they get off work.

Personally i'd rather play the game or quit it entirely before i pay extra for a shortcut. But IMHO I'm one of those endangered species of gamers in this day and age >.<

So, I take it, then, that none of the "Ha! I told you" types have noticed yet that the original article claiming this has been removed from the site making this claim? I don't mean the article by IGN that the OP linked; I mean the actual original article that IGN referenced in their story.

Just can't wait to bother fanboys that got all riled up when I ever said the game was doing horrible and dying off. Oh this is gonna be more fun than the game, lol. Told you, blindly defending the game with lies of how amazingly good it's doing isn't going to help reality. ;)

Here is the biggest joke about f2p.....

Wait for it....

It sucks.

It's nothing like the gaming experience you're used to in any game you've ever played (probably) before. Trust me, you'll end up spending more and you won't be happy because someone spent even more and got *just* that much better than you.

Welcome to the new market of gouging out consumers.

I support the subscription model and so should you.

This needs quoting.

So, I take it, then, that none of the "Ha! I told you" types have noticed yet that the original article claiming this has been removed from the site making this claim? I don't mean the article by IGN that the OP linked; I mean the actual original article that IGN referenced in their story.

Oh I noticed it, but figured it would be pointless to argue with people who are looking for evidence to back up their opinions, rather than form opinions based on solid evidence.

I take it as a EA telling the site " *** did you post that for, you were supposed to wait until such and such a time"

They didn't make a retraction comment, they just pulled it, Massivly has images of the article if you want to read it

:cool:

Oh damn, yeah i knew lotro was 9.99.

I tried lotro f2p and it really wasnt bad, by far the best f2p ive ever played. But i still got that feeling of being nickle and dimed to death, being charged for things like quests, bag and bank space jsut gets old after awhile.

Thats why i wont play f2p games and im not excited about Gw2, even at their best with no pay to win features they still feel like theyre always trying to charge you for something. take my gd $15 bucks a month, give me everything and leave me alone.

If they want to charge for fluff like race and faction changes, server transfers and a mount or 2 every year like wow does, fine i can live with that. But if i have to actualy worry about how much money im spending on a game then i dont need to be playing that game.

I agree. But with TOR..in 5 months, only one level 50 FP?s Where as in WoW I can run 3 - 6 raids per week? I feel like the monthly sub for WoW is well worth it. It really does boil down to how you feel your money spent each month is worth it or not. Now if during the last 5 months, apart from the initial purchase price, TOR was FTP, would I feel the same way with TOR? More than likely not. Because apart from the lack of end game content to do in a timely manner and thier crappy crafting system, it is a great game.

Just can't wait to bother fanboys that got all riled up when I ever said the game was doing horrible and dying off. Oh this is gonna be more fun than the game, lol. Told you, blindly defending the game with lies of how amazingly good it's doing isn't going to help reality. ;)

For the last four months, posting on the forums has been more fun than the game, lol. I spend more time here than there, at any rate.

Frankly I am not surprised, if there was even a hint of this game goin F2P I would stop subbing immediately and just wait til it did. I dont mind saving money >.<.

Bioware prolly asked that it be removed cuz it WILL affect their current subs.

I can only afford one sub per month so I would gladly play TOR free and use the sub money on another game, I do like variety >.<

I take it as a EA telling the site " *** did you post that for, you were supposed to wait until such and such a time"

They didn't make a retraction comment, they just pulled it, Massivly has images of the article if you want to read it

Actually, it looks more like a bioware employee making a rogue statement. I don't doubt that there have been conversations about various pay models inside the company, but having those conversations is different than actively looking into moving to a F2P model.

The guy was talking more about the quality of F2P games, and how it's hard to pull off. Unfortunately, he mentioned SWtOR and of course news outlets all jumped on the F2P FUD.

For the last four months, posting on the forums has been more fun than the game, lol. I spend more time here than there, at any rate.

Lol. I know the feeling. Got to get some feeling I am getting my money's worth out of my 6 month sub to this game. :D

Seems it's pretty much been confirmed by the EA boss it's going f2p, just a question of when.

Massively News Post

Yep. So those who think MMO Champ looked foolish for posting the quote about the interview on TOR going FTP are not looking so smart now. :D Serously, MMO Champ down the years have been very good about posting accurate info.

Edited by Valkirus

You know, F2P will give EAWare a lot more money, it certainly helped with the other MMOs (AoC, LotRO, GW1/2, etc).

The player will end up having to pay more, BUT I hope EAWare gives us an option to pay a hundred or so dollars so we can have everything instead of having to pay more for each individual aspect.

Well, looks like im gonna end my sub sooner than i thought >.<. At least when it does go free to play ill be able to add another sub based game to my repertoire and still play ToR :)

This is starting to become a broken record from me, I see.

Did you bother to read the original article? You know, the one on gameindustry.biz that had such interesting quotes like, "Gibeau stressed that EA will continue to evaluate the business around Star Wars and implement changes as needed, so free-to-play isn't out of the question at all (indeed, BioWare recently said as much too)", or "We're going to be in the business from a long term standpoint so absolutely we're going to embrace free access, free trial, ultimately some day we can move in and embrace that model. It's all a matter of timing and thinking things through. We have a great business right now and we're not looking to make any abrupt changes," or "So really the strategy right now is about opening up the funnel at the top so we can acquire more customers who are interested in Star Wars who perhaps aren't ready to pay the full price," or "The advent of free-to-play is certainly a change in the dynamic of the PC market. I don't think subscriptions ever go away, but when you have an IP as broad as Star Wars, we're definitely going to look at opportunities to grow that business and look at different ways of bringing customers in and serving them?"

Or did you just look at the truncated article and form your opinion from that?

I think its a pretty big leap to say that swtor is going ftp based off that article where the guy says that subscriptions will most likely never go away.

I... can almost see it...

Swtor will have two payment methods...

Free to play but you have to buy each content patch for 25 dollars.

And the other option...

Swtor premium

Pay a subscription of 15 dollars a month and get full access to raids and a "VIP vendor and area"

The vision fades. There is no more. :vossface: