Serious overloading of servers

Obtena

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one just don't understand why bioware chose to handle the transfers in the way they did. I am on Drooga's, we had a healthy population before the transfers. We were optimistic that we would get transfers from maybe 1 light server to add to our thriving, close-knit community. Bioware gave us 4. Now we are on the verge of overload and our community as been steamrolled.

In my mind, it would make more sense to have merged 4 light servers into 1, not merge 4 light servers with a standard/heavy server........

racing/fighting for dailies is getting old fast

I for one just don't understand why bioware chose to handle the transfers in the way they did. I am on Drooga's, we had a healthy population before the transfers. We were optimistic that we would get transfers from maybe 1 light server to add to our thriving, close-knit community. Bioware gave us 4. Now we are on the verge of overload and our community as been steamrolled.

In my mind, it would make more sense to have merged 4 light servers into 1, not merge 4 light servers with a standard/heavy server........

racing/fighting for dailies is getting old fast

I, also, did not understand the methodology behind moving populations from light servers into an already heavily-populated server. I do understand, though, that they've swapped one set of problems for another, as folks are already reporting ridiculous amounts of lag & other client issues as a result of overpopulation. Hopefully, the resources freed by consolidating servers can be applied to these now-overpopulated servers to improve performance.

All I know is that a dead server is worse than a crowded server.

Once the dust has settled, Bioware will have the metrics as a baseline in order to look at future transfers and destination servers. Servers that are medium can be filled from overloaded servers on a queue type basis where they offer the opportunity to transfer and see how many people want to go and then offer destination servers on a case by case basis.

So many people were eager to get off of dead servers that it flooded the few destination servers opened for the transfers, but if a little lag in fleet is the price I pay to see 250 players in fleet and 50+ players on the leveling planets then I'll put up with it.

I have yet to see a queue on Shadowlands, but even a 10 minute queue is preferable to having a dead server.

Worry not. People are just checking out their new servers. Once people's gaming habits go back to normal, queues should subside.

Someone else posted this, and I don't remember who, but they said, and I agree with them...

"I'd rather wait 15 minutes to log on to a packed server than have an instant login to a ghost town."

Paige

Except paying customers shouldn't have to settle for either.

Except paying customers shouldn't have to settle for either.

Except you don't have a "right" to anything.

As a paying customer, the only thing you have a "right" to do is STOP PAYING.

Bioware owes you nothing more than a game license. All you have is a license. It is up to YOU, as the consumer, to decide if the level of access is acceptable or not.

If it is not, then you presumably stop paying. A lot of forum warriors don't understand that you are entitled to nothing more that your game license. That's all your monthly fee is actually doing. Its gives you a license, nothing else.

Edited by Arkerus

Except you don't have a "right" to anything.

As a paying customer, the only thing you have a "right" to do is STOP PAYING.

Bioware owes you nothing more than a game license. All you have is a license. It is up to YOU, as the consumer, to decide if the level of access is acceptable or not.

If it is not, then you presumably stop paying. A lot of forum warriors don't understand that you are entitled to nothing more that your game license. That's all your monthly fee is actually doing. Its gives you a license, nothing else.

Seriously?

Once another company though that ppl will think like you if they dont change anything and lost 2 million subs, well things are not so simple, open your mind please.

And if you want to think like that then the only people who will continue paying are people thinking like you and then you will soon enjoy a Free2Play game and then lets see if you like your licence.......

Seriously?

Once another company though that ppl will think like you if they dont change anything and lost 2 million subs, well things are not so simple, open your mind please.

And if you want to think like that then the only people who will continue paying are people thinking like you and then you will soon enjoy a Free2Play game and then lets see if you like your licence.......

You don't understand what I am saying.

I am not saying that server lines and downtime are GOOD.

I am just trying to bring a lot of these delusional forum posters who think they have a RIGHT to something, back down to Earth. You don't have a right to anything in this game. The only thing your monthly fee is worth is the license.

THATS IT. As soon as you understand that you can use it to be a better consumer and make better decisions.

See, for my fee, I feel the level of access is fine. I have no problem with paying my monthly sub for the level of service I am receiving.

If you don't like the level of service, it is YOUR right as a consumer to STOP PAYING.

Once peopl realize server transfer wont magicly create new content, it will be fine

One major problem has been a lack of people to do current content with. I've only done a handful of flashpoints and never one single operations because of the limited number of people on my previous server. I imagine many are in the same bought.

And I really doubt you have full Rakata, Black Hole, and Campaign. So if you don't. You have plenty of content.

what happens next month when the free to play join us even more load

Hoping they are sticking those folks on a dedicated server and then they migrate you over to a pay server after lvl 15 if you stick around. That's what they did in FFXI and it worked like a charm.

You don't understand what I am saying.

I am not saying that server lines and downtime are GOOD.

I am just trying to bring a lot of these delusional forum posters who think they have a RIGHT to something, back down to Earth. You don't have a right to anything in this game. The only thing your monthly fee is worth is the license.

THATS IT. As soon as you understand that you can use it to be a better consumer and make better decisions.

See, for my fee, I feel the level of access is fine. I have no problem with paying my monthly sub for the level of service I am receiving.

If you don't like the level of service, it is YOUR right as a consumer to STOP PAYING.

Exactly. Saying something to the effect of... "I would like to see xyz feature in the game" Is totally acceptable. It tells the devs that it would add value to the game in your eyes if that feature was added. They can add that feature or not, but if they don't they run the risk of losing you as a customer to a different game that does have that xyz feature.

Saying something to the effect of..... "I am a paying customer and it is unacceptable that the game does not have xyz feature" is a contradiction. If it really were unacceptable to you, then you would no longer be a paying customer.

Once peopl realize server transfer wont magicly create new content, it will be fine

Most people have realized that there is already a **** ton of content in a game that isn't even a year-old yet.

Edited by EnufThree

Hoping they are sticking those folks on a dedicated server and then they migrate you over to a pay server after lvl 15 if you stick around. That's what they did in FFXI and it worked like a charm.

I was actually thinking something similar. They would have 1 server for just the 1-15s so they would be able to use tells and trade and use general chat and mail. If they want access to any other server, they would have to buy the game and would get 1 free transfer and would have to pay for any others. When they do server merges, this would also be the server that gets all the merged characters for inactive accounts.

Edited by HelinCarnate

Worry not. People are just checking out their new servers. Once people's gaming habits go back to normal, queues should subside.

Someone else posted this, and I don't remember who, but they said, and I agree with them...

"I'd rather wait 15 minutes to log on to a packed server than have an instant login to a ghost town."

Paige

Well said :)

Well said :)

It's true.

However last night I ended up in two 30+ min queues (I had to swap PCs and ended up queueing again).

1 hour out of a nights play is quite a lot.

Although sunday PT is usually the busiest all week, still you'd have to hope they upped server caps before cramming even more on.

Not seen a queue on Red Eclipse either... and numbers are increasing daily now, whoch I agree is good.

PvP queues are almost non-existant now and not just during peak times.

But now the drawbacks... Genral chat is just a desperado guild recruitment spamfest so anyone post LFM's has to basically spend the next hour continually spamming their adverts over and over just to gain the smallest amount of exposure before it dissapears.... there needs to be some kind of channel for recruitment tab in game or a forum specific area here. Hopefully group finder will work and save our fingers tips from blistering any further.

Performance is seriously in need of some work... WZ's and Ops were just crazy bad last night again....instancing was supposed to be an MMO's key weapon against this.. but this game sucks big time.. and no my PC is decent and runs anything else I play sooo much better and on much higher settings... and I dont think I am alone judgiung form the Denova runs we had last night... <5FPS just isnt fun and fleet is now a train wreck.. luckily you cant wipe a grp on the fleet and waste players times.

So I guess its a rob Peter to pay Paul kinda scenario we are having to put up with in order to get population.... :rolleyes: