Confirmed: SWTOR to have micro-transactions/in-game purchases

ShiningKnights

I dont know what article you are reading but how can you say its from 2010 when swtor wasnt even out for a year after that? Also it mentions swtor going f2p in july. How did they know that back in 2010?

The sources for the article are listed at the bottom of the page.

One of those sources is an investment report from a brokerage company written in 3/10/2010. The report stated that EA was planning on getting additional revenue from SW:TOR from micro-transactions after launch.

None of the sources listed in the Yahoo article are official sources from Bioware or EA.

Yahoo.com is not an official news source, and sometimes their articles aren't edited and looked at with as much scrutiny as you would find in other sources.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure it does, He just wants to be able to buy gear to be equal to what you could earn in game.

Like for pvp. Say you could pay 40 bucks instead of grinding the gear out for 3 days.

You still end up the same you just skip the grind by paying real life money. You are not stronger, you just get there another way.

Hell in that case why not just eliminate progression altogether and just have endgame only may as well throw out leveling while we're at it.

/sarcasm

This only works for me on vanity items if they also have them in-game and with hard work I could get them without paying 10 bucks. if I'm lazy like 90% of the youth of this generation I can also spend the 10 bucks and buy it if another long grind on an alt and I want that vanity item.

If the stuff is exclusive to the store and I have no other way to earn it in-game through a tedious grind or op I will never buy it.

I dont know what article you are reading but how can you say its from 2010 when swtor wasnt even out for a year after that? Also it mentions swtor going f2p in july. How did they know that back in 2010?

You will also remember that this was about the same time that the "SWTOR is going to have MT's!" rumor first appeared.

I personally saw this and thought "They've been saying this for years".

Also, as you know from LOTRO, it takes alot longer to convert a game to F2P then a month.

Edited by Skoobie

Also at E3 the only glimpse of this new planet was a zoom in like when you land of the whole planet and a small cut scene of people running from an explosion. So its not exactly on the tip of everyone's tounge. There can only be one reason they didnt show it. It isnt even close to ready.

talking about the buisness model [free 2 play, microtransactions, sub fees, ect] nothing about makeb or the rest of the content it doesnt have to be finished for them to say that they are looking in to microtransactions and free 2 play because right now they lie [i believe they are lying] when they say they are not going to charge for future content and want the customers to feel that the are getting their moneys worth from the sub fee [said by james ohlen as recently as E3 2012] and they very well know the plans for a buisness model though 2012 and into 2013

but they will not address the rumors and confirm or deny charging players for content, it really feels like bait and switch tactics

Sure it does, He just wants to be able to buy gear to be equal to what you could earn in game.

Like for pvp. Say you could pay 40 bucks instead of grinding the gear out for 3 days.

You still end up the same you just skip the grind by paying real life money. You are not stronger, you just get there another way.

That's called pay to win. If you use real life money to buy in-game gear, then you're skipping the entire game. If they went that route I can only imagine the rage of insufficient content.

Hell in that case why not just eliminate progression altogether and just have endgame only may as well throw out leveling while we're at it.

/sarcasm

Why you don't HAVE to use. It's something that is option and help people who can't commit ungodly amount of hours to one video game in the game.

Lots of FPS games have short cuts you can buy to get all the unlocks. For example battle field 3 has them. I haven't used it because i like unlocking the stuff there.

Why you don't HAVE to use. It's something that is option and help people who can't commit ungodly amount of hours to one video game in the game.

Lots of FPS games have short cuts you can buy to get all the unlocks. For example battle field 3 has them. I haven't used it because i like unlocking the stuff there.

This is an MMO, you're talking about an FPS. No MMO (that deserved to be even called a game) would EVER do anything like that. You're getting an auto-queue LFG system, do you REALLY need to use money to beat the game for you? Then you might as well not play if you're not going to.. you know... play to get better. That is how an MMO works. You play -> you get better gear. Simple as that. If you don't like how the MMO genre works then you're playing the wrong game here, buddy.

No, it won't become an "option". To stay competitive everyone will have to spend real life money to get gear or else they will get rofl stomped for ages before they have grinded the gear, especially in PvP, but also in PvE when you think about the gearing up you need to do to be able to beat the hardest difficulties. Competition will be gone and the game will die within a month because the designers and developers can't design and create content fast enough for people who buy their way through.

Edited by Senatsu

So what do you all think about if EAware puts cosmetic armor sets in the SWTOR Store that are orange/adaptive gear?

For like 10-20 bucks you could buy a full set of orange gear and just mod it out from lvl 1-50. I

Would it cause any issues? Would it mess up server economies for crafters that can't sell their wares because nobody wants to pay the price tag in game and rather dish it out from their real pockets??

Thoughts?

talking about the buisness model [free 2 play, microtransactions, sub fees, ect] nothing about makeb or the rest of the content it doesnt have to be finished for them to say that they are looking in to microtransactions and free 2 play because right now they lie [i believe they are lying] when they say they are not going to charge for future content and want the customers to feel that the are getting their moneys worth from the sub fee [said by james ohlen as recently as E3 2012] and they very well know the plans for a buisness model though 2012 and into 2013

but they will not address the rumors and confirm or deny charging players for content, it really feels like bait and switch tactics

Now this is what I don't understand...you claim they lie...then want them to address the rumors? Would you actually believe them if they came out and said they were not going to have MT's?

Honestly, I'm not sure I would. Right before Turbine decided to go F2P with LOTRO, they came right out and said "It's not happening". So being burnt once, I'm far more cautious now.

Edited by Skoobie

Even if they adressed it and said everything will be free, just the 15 month sub fee people would STILL not believe it and call them liars

1. FPS games are almost always F2P big difference.

2. This isn't a FPS.

mmos and espcially rpgs are about getting items and character progression [not just a level progression your achievments and rare items are part of that progression] fps games are not, buying these things is like using a bot in pvp matches with no rewards, why are you even doing it [sure I guess with tor you can say story]

This is an MMO, you're talking about an FPS. No MMO (that deserved to be even called a game) would EVER do anything like that. You're getting an auto-queue LFG system, do you REALLY need to use money to beat the game for you? Then you might as well not play if you're not going to.. you know... play to get better. That is how an MMO works. You play -> you get better gear. Simple as that. If you don't like how the MMO genre works then you're playing the wrong game here, buddy.

Why who cares??

What is the difference to you if I quit my job and go on wellfare so I can sit at home and play video games all day to get my PvP gear or Stay at work and fork over some extra cash so I can get it???

Edited by Lt_Latency

So what do you all think about if EAware puts cosmetic armor sets in the SWTOR Store that are orange/adaptive gear?

For like 10-20 bucks you could buy a full set of orange gear and just mod it out from lvl 1-50. I

Would it cause any issues? Would it mess up server economies for crafters that can't sell their wares because nobody wants to pay the price tag in game and rather dish it out from their real pockets??

Thoughts?

Why who cares??

What is the difference to you if I quit my job and go on wellfare so I can sit at home and play video games all day to get my PvP gear or Stay at work and fork over some extra cash so I can get it???

Well being a taxpayer, it would indeed make a difference to me.

I personally don't wan't to work just so you can stay home and play games.

Edited by Skoobie

Thoughts?

If they are items you can't get through in-game methods and if they come without mods, then they wouldn't do anything to the server economy. It would be like buying a mount; it looks cool, but ultimately wouldn't do anything to anyone, except maybe make a mod crafter a bit happier.

Edited by Senatsu

Of course there will be MT. All this legacy is the beta test. Soon there will be $ option next to all of those options. Is this really a suprise? Edited by Druc

Of course there will be MT. All this legacy is the beta test. Soon there will be $ option next to all of those options. Is this really a suprise?:(:(

Wouldn't surprise me to be fair, and even that wouldn't hurt game balance, player performance or the economy.