Origin Servers

revial

Are origin servers going to be shut down at some point? If so, why aren't you simply doing mergers? If not, well...why in the world would you keep open 200+ servers?

I'm not being sarcastic. I'm really, seriously, trying to figure out the thought process behind what you are currently doing.

Edited by revial

Don't know for sure, but there are some people who like being on an empty server. Maybe they like having everything to themselves, or maybe their computer slows down a lot when there are a lot of people. In any case, those servers are going to remain open for now, but they may be closed in the future.

Because servers like these are paid for ahead of time.

Secondly, it would take longer to merge servers, making people wait even more to get off of dead servers. These kinds of transfers ensure that people can experience the game the way it was meant to be as quickly as possible. Unless you would like to wait another 3 months?

From what I can tell, they're keeping the old servers up because some people LIKE playing on ghost towns. I dun geddit neither. But as I DO know one individual like this IRL, I cannot dispute this decision, if it does not cause them later financial difficulties due to overhead.

What if people don't come back to transfer their chars after the first day? There might be people that hear about transfers later this week and they might want to take advantage of it because low pops were the reason that they left. Edited by buckman

Well, this way at least you have the appearance of having a choice in the matter, whereas a full out forced merger looks really bad in the press. You say tomato, I say tomahto.

I personally am quite happy they are doing something to address the very low server population numbers, and I think this is probably the least damaging/invasive way to do it, at least in terms of the least negative feedback and press.

Imagine the uproar from the playerbase if you were literally forced onto another server today.

I personally think it would be pointless to stay on a server that they are allowing free transfers off of, as it would become even more of a ghost town and will probably due for closure at some point in the not so distant future.

This is all guesswork, of course.

18 servers being transferred is still fail when there are hundreds of servers that are dead. but dont worry this thread will be closed soon while they try to cover up how terrible a job they are doing.

18 servers being transferred is still fail when there are hundreds of servers that are dead. but dont worry this thread will be closed soon while they try to cover up how terrible a job they are doing.

This is just the first day, and there could possibly be more by the end of the day.

18 servers being transferred on the first half of the first day is still fail to me when there are hundreds of servers that are dead. but dont worry this thread will be closed soon while they try to cover up how terrible a job they are doing in dealing with my unreasonable expectations.

Fixed

I would guess two reasons...

One, they limit transfers to current paying customers. Once you have multiple origin servers going to one destination, this allows people that are current subscribers a better shot of keeping names and legacy names. This also gives people that are no longer subbing but are thinking about coming back extra incentive to come back.

Two, server mergers ALWAYS are bad PR. They can make people happy that want off dead servers without having to make that press release about closing 50+ servers. I would guess they won't actually merge servers for another 6 months.

Edited by HarleysRule

I would guess two reasons...

One, they limit transfers to current paying customers. Once you have multiple origin servers going to one destination, this allows people that are current subscribers a better shot of keeping names and legacy names.

That's a fairly rational explanation.

I still assume that Origin servers are going to be closed though, so surely they could have simply moved all active characters over, and put inactive ones in limbo, like Rift, where all my characters I haven't played in a year are on servers that don't even exist anymore.

Who knows when servers will be closed. But every mmo has servers shut down eventually. And it is inevitable that the ones that get shut down first will be from the ones chosen as origin over the next several weeks. Might not be tomorrow or even 6 months from now but when it eventually happens the first plugs pulled will be the ones noted in these transfers as origin. So if yours gets chosen you might as well jump ship now while its free.

Merges are messier because many of the origin servers have a bunch of accounts that will never be reactivated. So it is better to move just the active accounts and then at some point combine all the dead accounts into one big server/database. If any of those players ever return they will be prompted to transfer.

It's much cleaner this way.

I'll bet they make more money off of paid server transfers than they do for subs the first month they offer paid transfers.

What an "accidental" (/cough) financial boon it will be for the company when they rake in all the dollars, yen, euros etc.

If they do it like was done with Warhammer, they offered the free transfers to specific servers then after a couple months they merged all the rest. By doing it this way you do not have as bad PR issues and you also are getting a more realistic view of the new servers user count based on who actually transfers.

If they do it like was done with Warhammer, they offered the free transfers to specific servers then after a couple months they merged all the rest. By doing it this way you do not have as bad PR issues and you also are getting a more realistic view of the new servers user count based on who actually transfers.

Warhammer? Where is that game now?

LOL

i thought the orignal concept of the transfers was going to let people have at least some choice over what server they wanted to move to then merge the remiain population into medium load servers, but with the way they actually implemented the transfers they should have just merged the servers instead of the pretend transfer.

im starting to think that BW doesn't have a working process to merge servers so this is a stop gap measure to allow a pre-merger merger to take effect.

The current transfer system may seem lacking, but they will probably extend it, by allowing origin server transfer to a few more server.

They are waiting to prevent server to be overloaded (unlikely) or ,by giving a range of choice right off the bat, to prevent making the whole system useless because the transfer population will be too much spread out.

A merging does also have a couple of cons:

* some people may prefer sparsely populated server

* some guild can't stand each other to the point that they made sure to NOT be on the same server.

* For RPers, some of them doesn't want two legacy to be merged.

* more important: what of people who already have toons on the target server, and by the combining of both server will be in a situation where they have more toons than allowed? I doubt they will be happy to have some of their characters erased.

Personally i will be furious if my server (Hydian Way) is selected to be an Origin server.

I have used the same toon names throughout my MMO history, using the same names is important to me, knowing this i planned ahead to ensure i'd be able to get in the game early to "register" them.

To this end I pre-ordered SWTOR straight away as it was announced that the earlier you pre-order the earlier your access to the game will be.

I booked time off work so i would at my PC ready to roll as soon as the server was opened.

I chose the names i wanted for each class ahead of time.

And as soon as i was able to log in I immediately "registered" all my toon's names.

As you can see i went to great pains to get the names i wanted for my toon's and now im faced with losing them all due to the BW's poor server management at launch and them now being faced with an over abundance of servers.

I dont buy into this being labeled as an "optional" server transfer either, those who refuse to move server will be left in a ghost town which I presume will be either closed or forced merged with another server.

I am furious with BW over this.

Edited by Purloin