RP-PvP "Lord Calypho" - Excluded from Transfers...

LovarBoy

No mate that is a tinfoil hat theory, all this does is highlight the fact that BW are just winging it and that they really do not have people with relevant experience heading up some of this stuff. That is why it is best just to highlight potential issues and post them on the forum with a minimum amount of hyperbole so at least the information is there if they choose to acknowledge it.

That doesn't make things better at all :(

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No mate that is a tinfoil hat theory, all this does is highlight the fact that BW are just winging it and that they really do not have people with relevant experience heading up some of this stuff. That is why it is best just to highlight potential issues and post them on the forum with a minimum amount of hyperbole so at least the information is there if they choose to acknowledge it.

Sorry, but most parts of the community would find a logical and adequate solution for this problem, maybe my 15 year old cousin would get the problem and think about a solution.

Sorry, but things like that are just dull - and not dull in the way of "missing experience".

How in the world is an imagination suppose to cope without proper naming policies and chat bubbles?

that's what most games does. RP-PvP server should have RP positive features. One of them is naming policy. Name "FluffybunSkywalker Cocacola" is immersion breaker for most.

Good Evening,

I just want to inform you ( especially players on "Lord Calipho" ) that the RP-PvP Server "Lord Calypho" will have no transfer destination at the transfers coming 12th of June.

We just figured out the problem in the German forums, and we got an official answer.

It's not possible to transfer between different-type servers - it's just problematic because in the EU ( FR / GB / DE ) we only have 3 RP-PvP servers, each per region - and this RP-PvP servers ( all of them are nearly "dead" servers ) will have no option in the server transfers.

It's just a post to inform you players, especially those ones playing on "Lord Calypho".

What do you think about this illogical step BioWare takes in eliminating "dead servers"?

Its not illogical for the initial phase of server transfers. The only option would be to to move 2 of the EU RP-PVP onto the 3rd but that would mean language issues.

You can't force players who chose not to join an RP server to decide between moving to one or staying on a low pop server. You chose a niche server type and the low pop is not due to their being too many servers, its due to limited numbers of people wanting to join a RP-PVP server.

You will just have to wait and see what options become available for transfers in the future.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

What do you think about this illogical step BioWare takes in eliminating "dead servers"?

If this is true, then it's an incredibly stupid policy. If there really is only one RP-PvP server in each region, then I don't see why they cannot, and should not, allow one-way transfers out of those three servers only, to any other server in the same region that is designated as a transfer destination. It's obvious that there is no same-type transfer destination available to players on these niche servers. At the very least they should be allowed to transfer to any other plain PvP server that is allowing transfers in within the same region; ideally they would offer people the option of going to either plain PvP, RP-PvE, or plain PvE servers.

This is just a horrible customer relations move even if it only affects a small number of people. If this will take manual transfers to accomplish, then they need to just eat the cost and do it, because it's needed to fix a problem that BW itself created by bungling the population management at launch and taking ages to do anything about it.

Edited by Heezdedjim

I think there is no problem in allowing players to leave the RP-PvP servers ( maybe to other PvP servers ).

I understand the thing with RP-PvP can't be a destination - but if you allow the people to leave to a normal PvP server, there will be no problems.

lol..

Great that i already decided not to continue my sub due to the killing of Shadow class..

Great job BioWare!

Anyway, there is no more than 1000-2000 active subscribers on Lord Calypho.. If BW stated they have 1.1mln active subscribers they decided just sacrifice 1K.. What a joke of a company!

I think the solution is an easy one.

EA should just remove the RP-PVP designation and make it a normal PvP server.

Then, these servers could be included in the standard PvP server consolidations.

Problem solved.

^^

This

We deserve to have a chance to play on the server with high population, leaving us no choice and no free transfers is really unfair. I am afraid in that case I will leave as well. I like the game, but I am tired of playing on low population server. I am really disappointed BioWare..

It seems like the easiest solution would be to allow this server to serve as either a destination server for other RP or PvP servers (in an effort to boost population while letting one or both of those other servers end up on the 'to be closed' list, or to let it serve as an origin server for both an RP and a PvP server.

The former option might produce some more people, but also risky. An influx of non-RPers to an RP server of any sort is not usually good for the community.

Further, their is the risk of no takers... The RPers may not want to deal with the PvP while the PvPers may want to avoid the RPers (usually that isn't an issue, as the non-RPers will just ignore/grief the RPers, but for some people that want to at least go along to get along*, it may be a bigger deal).

The latter would effectively kill the RP-PvP options for the German language players, but at least it would let them choose whether the RP or the PvP was the most important and give them an option.

* I play on an RP server, even though I am not really an RPer.

I do try to be RP-friendly, though. I came to this server in good faith, so if I end up on a team that wants to roleplay, I will go along with it for as long as the team lasts.

I just found that out of all of the servers that I spent some time on, this particular server seemed to have the least amount of garbage in fleet chat and was the one that I felt I could spend my time on and not have to deal with vulgarity and general idiocy (and I am no prude... I was a sailor and have been known to cuss like one, but if there is a time and place for that it is certainly not in this game).

that's what most games does. RP-PvP server should have RP positive features. One of them is naming policy. Name "FluffybunSkywalker Cocacola" is immersion breaker for most.

The problem with naming policies is that some people will have different ideas about what names are 'good' and what names are 'bad'.

And then you get into nicknames and aliases for some characters.

Is 'Fourty-three' an acceptable name? What if they are an agent? What if they are a cyborg and were part of a man-augmentation experiment, of which they were the fourty-third subject?

What about 'Hotdog'? If they were a trooper or smuggler that claimed to be a really good pilot?

And where does gibberish fit in? We are dealing with humans and aliens in a faraway galaxy that have naming conventions that do not match ours. Except, of course, when they do.

Is 'Joe' okay or not? 'Frank'? 'Tom', 'Richard', and 'Harry'?

What about 'Blobabboo'? 'Supercalifristic' and 'Expialidocious'? 'Aaeeiioouu'?

And then just to make matters even worse, different GMs would have their own standards. A player could report a name and if the 'right' GM looks at the ticket might force a name change, only for that same player to later see another character with that name that they lost.

They might report them in kind but the GM that sees their ticket may not have a problem with the name. I'm sure that that wouldn't cause some forum rage, but what are they supposed to do?

No way to come up with a complete list of names that fall on either the 'good' or 'bad' list. Are the GMs supposed to have weekly meetings to discuss every reported name and decide whether to add it to a list or not?

Edited by Mithros

Good Evening,

I just want to inform you ( especially players on "Lord Calipho" ) that the RP-PvP Server "Lord Calypho" will have no transfer destination at the transfers coming 12th of June.

We just figured out the problem in the German forums, and we got an official answer.

It's not possible to transfer between different-type servers - it's just problematic because in the EU ( FR / GB / DE ) we only have 3 RP-PvP servers, each per region - and this RP-PvP servers ( all of them are nearly "dead" servers ) will have no option in the server transfers.

It's just a post to inform you players, especially those ones playing on "Lord Calypho".

I'm wondering why this is a problem.

Let's take what you say at face value: The EU RP-PVP servers in the FR / GB / DE zones, are all each specifically tied to a particular language and are not well-populated.

So your proposal is to allow people from all 3 of those servers to transfer out of those 3 to any other servers they wish? Which will leave those 3 servers even less populated than they are now. How does that at all make sense if your goal is more populated servers?

I'd say it should have been obvious at the start (back in mid-December) that the RP servers would be less populated than the other servers by default. I would never have expected there to be anywhere near as many RPers as other gamers in the system.

This character transfer process launching on June 12th was not designed to fix this issue. That isn't the primary concern, and the affected player base is probably minimal compared to those who are on underpopulated servers and want to maintain their server type.

Good Evening,

Actually....no.

You see, BioWare will do anything it takes to make sure the RP-PvP server has a healthy population. If that means going to step 2 of phase one and opening it up to more origin servers, so be it.

This is mentioned in the blog. Read it again.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Actually....no.

You see, BioWare will do anything it takes to make sure the RP-PvP server has a healthy population. If that means going to step 2 of phase one and opening it up to more origin servers, so be it.

This is mentioned in the blog. Read it again.

'It's not possible to transfer between different-type servers' . So, what the OP said was that Lord Calypho is the only English RP-PVP server in Europe, and there are no matching server types that can be transferred from (origin servers).

The relevant bit from the source is:

we made the decision to strictly limit the initial phase of the Character Transfer Service to only allow transfers from selected groups of origin servers (where you're moving a character from) to selected individual destination servers (where you choose to move a character to) based on the player populations of the origin and destination servers. In some cases, a large number of origin servers will be eligible to move to a single destination server. In others, very few origin servers will be transferring to existing high population destination servers. Remember, the goal here is to push almost every destination server to an active population that's higher.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/character-transfer-server-populations-and-you

'Step 2 of phase 1', as you call it, might be to wait for the paid transfer service. This service does not have a scheduled development time frame.

Edited by Ycoga

'It's not possible to transfer between different-type servers' . So, what the OP said was that Lord Calypho is the only English RP-PVP server in Europe, and there are no matching server types that can be transferred from (origin servers).

The relevant bit from the source is:

http://www.swtor.com/blog/character-transfer-server-populations-and-you

'Step 2 of phase 1', as you call it, might be to wait for the paid transfer service. This service does not have a scheduled time frame.

Might I direct your attention to the entire goal of the free phase:

Remember, the goal here is to push almost every destination server to an active population that's higher.

Also:

Depending on the number of characters transferred, the destination and origin servers eligible for transfer may be altered during the process.

These were said BEFORE the subheading "The Next Step", thus during the free phase. That means that, no matter what, servers will not require paid transfers until the server has an adequate population.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

I think the solution is an easy one.

EA should just remove the RP-PVP designation and make it a normal PvP server.

Then, these servers could be included in the standard PvP server consolidations.

Problem solved.

Unfortunately, Bioware is too stupid to figure that out.

Unfortunately, Bioware is too stupid to figure that out.

There is absolutely no need, as BioWare's stated goal is to populate this server by whatever means necessary. This means including opening other origin servers, including other RP servers and PvP servers with the RP-PvP server as a destination, for free.

It might not be very fair to the RPers on that server, but I think a higher population is more important at this point. What would be even less fair for the RPers on that server is to take away their RP server. That's just asinine.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

There is absolutely no need, as BioWare's stated goal is to populate this server by whatever means necessary. This means including opening other origin servers, including other RP servers and PvP servers with the RP-PvP server as a destination, for free.

It might not be very fair to the RPers on that server, but I think a higher population is more important at this point. What would be even less fair for the RPers on that server is to take away their RP server. That's just asinine.

If Bioware had any shred of decency, they would allow market forces to work themselves out and let people transfer for free where they wanted to. Instead of screwing it up and hoping to profit from it with paid transfers.

This is a company that has an almost uncanny ability to miss the forest for the trees. I wish we could have records of their development meetings, like the board of a company, to see who is really pushing some of this tripe.

If Bioware had any shred of decency, they would allow market forces to work themselves out and let people transfer for free where they wanted to. Instead of screwing it up and hoping to profit from it with paid transfers.

This is a company that has an almost uncanny ability to miss the forest for the trees. I wish we could have records of their development meetings, like the board of a company, to see who is really pushing some of this tripe.

No thanks. People transferring willy-nilly NEEDS to be stemmed. And I don't trust this community not to mess it up.

Yet another example of why mergers would have been a superior solution.

Yes, because missing items, perks, upgrades, and skills would have gone over juuuuust fine. Not to mention guild paraphernalia. Or crashed servers.

^^ My experience with merges in about 5 MMOs. No thanks. And with coding and systems like Legacy that no other MMO has had to deal with, don't think for a second it would have been smoother. Transfers are much better.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Yet another example of why mergers would have been a superior solution.

I am afraid without another EU English RP-PvP mergers won't include us as well. Maybe it's 'd be good that BW wants to save the RP-PvP(the best server type for me) IF we had at least normal population. But our population is very light and playing at that population rate isn't interesting. Maybe it's just me, but after months of waiting we deserve a possibility to play on a well-populated server. Maybe the best solution is to allow us to transfer to 2 different servers (one pvp and one RP) OR if you are so dedicated to your policy of one destination server, allow to transfer to a PvP server(there are more pvpers than RPers here to be honest) that 'd be more fair than giving us no transfer at all(and no ETA on the next transfer fase)

Edited by DimaDelete