Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

If you read what i said you would see you have just fallen on your face so hard for saying im wrong.

How did I just fall on my face? If a character is apparently UNABLE to be LOGGED ON A CHARACTER while its being transferred, then the game should boot them off, and not allow them to log back on. If you read what I said, you would see that YOU have fallen on your face.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope :D

I have to agree. This server transferring method might not be perfect, it's still producing positive results. "The customer" wanted unlimited/unrestricted server transfers. If they allowed that to happen, people would go to the handful of servers that were highest populated at the moment, causing what got us into this mess in the first place(full servers/waiting ques etc.). So they're doing an organized server merge to even-out the populations. THEN once they do that and populations are, for the most part, evened out they allow the unlimited server transfers.

But they're actually responding to what the customers are wanting. Although customers would like an unrestricted server transfer, the most important thing most people want at the moment is just to be on a server where there's plenty of people so they can have regular warzones and flashpoint-grouping opportunities.

Edited by GiovanniD

I like how some people are so willing to defend EA to the core... There is nothing wrong with stating why you’re upset with a product you pay monthly for.

EA should just let people transfer their characters to whatever server they would like and however many characters they would like to transfer. I understand they want to balance the servers, but there might be a reason why someone from one server might specifically want to transfer to another. EA is known for horrible customer service and they also seem to always manage to do the bare minimum.

Now my sever Deadweight is not on the current list of transfer servers… When it is I doubt it will be able to transfer to The Fatman server… I’ve already joined a guild with a new character on Fatman and if I’m not able to transfer I won’t renew.

The problem is EA seems to only want to please 51% of people…. The other 49% are pissed and they aren’t in a hurry to solve the issues.

No. I will say there intentions for it were correct in that they are setting up origin and destination servers. The problem is they are doing that terrible. The entire point of having any origin server only have one destination server is to make the process go quick but they cant even do that.

If they made it a free for all transfer then 99% of the people would go to the fatman or the other PVE server and those would be the only 2 NA servers (other than RP) that anyone would goto and that would most likely mean a que for those two servers.

They have the right idea they are just screwing that up.

What that has to do with what Shingara said, I don't know, because he's a customer, too, and is not bound by the "customer is always right" rule of customer service, anyway.

Because he's consistantly argueing that the issue BW has had tonight is the fault of a customer, when it is not. You shouldn't be able to log onto a toon if it's being transfered in the first place. So regardless of how stupid one must be to attempt to do such a thing is a moot point, the code should have been tested for this prior to implementation, and clearly it wasn't. Hence a BW fault and not a customer fault.

How did I just fall on my face? If a character is apparently UNABLE to be LOGGED ON A CHARACTER while its being transferred, then the game should boot them off, and not allow them to log back on. If you read what I said, you would see that YOU have fallen on your face.

Quite simply for these facts, 1st its clearly stated in facts that upon xfer submit you should not play your char, the game should disconnect you but if it doesnt it is still clearly stated in the FAQ that you shouldnt be online. 2nd how do you explain this bug not being found when the asia pacific xfers were done, simple fact is they read the faq and understood it and had enough common sense not to try and play a char/chars they were having xfered.

Edited by Shingara

Because he's consistantly argueing that the issue BW has had tonight is the fault of a customer, when it is not. You shouldn't be able to log onto a toon if it's being transfered in the first place. So regardless of how stupid one must be to attempt to do such a thing is a moot point, the code should have been tested for this prior to implementation, and clearly it wasn't. Hence a BW fault and not a customer fault.

Bioware even tells you its ok to do so and he still wants to blame the customer for doing it and not Bioware for saying you could.

Bioware even tells you its ok to do so and he still wants to blame the customer for doing it and not Bioware for saying you could.

Bioware trys to tell you what again ?

After you confirm your character transfer request, it can take up to three hours for your requested characters to be transferred. During this period you will be unable to login to any of the characters that are being transferred, or any other character on that origin server. If you are playing one of these characters when you confirm your transfer, you will be logged off from that character and server until the transfer is complete.

Show me anywhere in that where bioware say you can still play your chars being xfered.

Edited by Shingara

Quite simply for these facts, 1st its clearly stated in facts that upon xfer submit you should not play your char, the game should disconnect you but if it doesnt it is still clearly stated in the FAQ that you shouldnt be online. 2nd how do you explain this bug not being found when the asia pacific xfers were done, simple fact is they read the faq and understood it and had enough common sense not to try and play a char/chars they were having xfered.

Its common sense that BW should of created a Fail Safe system with this....how did they not expect people to not try and log on their characters while its happening? Of course its dumb, Im not saying it isn't. This would NEVER HAVE HAPPENED if BW had created this correctly, and not allowed anyone to be on their characters. These are the SIMPLE FACTS.

Its common sense that BW should of created a Fail Safe system with this....how did they not expect people to not try and log on their characters while its happening? Of course its dumb, Im not saying it isn't. This would NEVER HAVE HAPPENED if BW had created this correctly, and not allowed anyone to be on their characters. These are the SIMPLE FACTS.

The failsafe was logging people off, obviously people got around that.

After you confirm your character transfer request, it can take up to three hours for your requested characters to be transferred. During this period you will be unable to login to any of the characters that are being transferred, or any other character on that origin server. If you are playing one of these characters when you confirm your transfer, you will be logged off from that character and server until the transfer is complete.

Right there in RED bolded italiced underline text.

To translate it for you. Dear customer if you are playing on that character when you confirm the transfer we will kicking you off and you wont be able to play on that server (even if you tried) untill the transfers are complete.

They even say while the process is going on that you wouldnt even be able to play on that server even if you tried (in orange)because the characters would be unavailable.

Yeah its all the players fault right :rolleyes:

Edited by Emeda

Because it's not humanly possible to cover every single possible maybe scenario that this universe has to offer. Bugs are going to be found, it doesn't matter who the developer is, who the coders are, unless they are <insert your preferred deity here>.

I haven't been a part of a merge or transfer yet in my 10+ years of MMOing that didn't have some bug somewhere in it.

Now, can we get real please?

Show me anywhere in that where bioware say you can still play your chars being xfered.

Show me where it says that you won't be able to get on you're character when it's transferring....oh wait it says right there. Yet players are still able to get on their characters during the transfer process. I don't see where it says to not attempt to log-in while your character is transferring. It is a dumb mistake for someone to do, although... not everyone knows everything about computers, and BW should of made it Fail Safe... so stop defending them.

Right there in RED bolded italiced underline text.

To translate it for you. Dear customer if you are playing on that character when you confirm the transfer we will kicking you off and you wont be able to play on that server (even if you tried) untill the transfers are complete.

They even say while the process is going on that you wouldnt even be able to play on that server even if you tried (in orange)because the characters would be unavailable.

Yeah its all the players fault right :rolleyes:

Right so you go from saying bioware say you can to bioware will tell you you cant and log you out but you can log back in even though you know it can take upto 3 hours, your logic is astounding.

Show me where it says that you won't be able to get on you're character when it's transferring....oh wait it says right there. Yet players are still able to get on their characters during the transfer process. I don't see where it says to not attempt to log-in while your character is transferring. It is a dumb mistake for someone to do, although... not everyone knows everything about computers, and BW should of made it Fail Safe... so stop defending them.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious, some people got around it and were able to log in again even though its clearly stated it can take upto 3 hours and not play them till complete. Should i eat lead paint because no on stops me from eating lead paint, under your logic thats exactly what we should do.

Edited by Shingara

Because it's not humanly possible to cover every single possible maybe scenario that this universe has to offer. Bugs are going to be found, it doesn't matter who the developer is, who the coders are, unless they are <insert your preferred deity here>.

I haven't been a part of a merge or transfer yet in my 10+ years of MMOing that didn't have some bug somewhere in it.

Lol, well I guess the people that create these games aren't very smart. How could they not think players would attempt to go on their characters as the transfer is about to happen? For all we know, the person put in the request for transfer, and quickly realized he had mail on his guy, so he had to quickly try and get it... while not expecting that the transfer was going to happen so quickly.

No one knows the reason for people logging on their character during it, the bottom line is, BW had a LOT of time to plan this. THIS is what could save the game, and the companies name... it was a situation where they had to not have a mistake, and it was such a simple thing to think of. Says a lot about a company when they don't even think of this scenario.

Edited by Brodysmith

I think the fact that you care is what fails.

The failsafe was logging people off, obviously people got around that.

They must have really tested that before they started it then.

I bet everyone who did log on, had to do something other than log in and select the origin server.

Or Bioware just didnt think that some people would do that and just said you wont be able to log into that server and think that people wouldnt try

No. I will say there intentions for it were correct in that they are setting up origin and destination servers. The problem is they are doing that terrible. The entire point of having any origin server only have one destination server is to make the process go quick but they cant even do that.

If they made it a free for all transfer then 99% of the people would go to the fatman or the other PVE server and those would be the only 2 NA servers (other than RP) that anyone would goto and that would most likely mean a que for those two servers.

They have the right idea they are just screwing that up.

It simply can't be done as fast as you think it can. They started off small and found a glitch. Thank god they didn't let everyone start transferring at once. This needs to be done slowly. You just want it to go faster. Understandable, but unrealistic.

I seriously lol'd at this one. Checking that a transfer logs the player out automatically is not coving every single possibility the universe has to offer, it's the very basics of what should be tested prior to implementation. Even you should see this.

It simply can't be done as fast as you think it can. They started off small and found a glitch. Thank god they didn't let everyone start transferring at once. This needs to be done slowly. You just want it to go faster. Understandable, but unrealistic.

The glich had nothing to do with the reason they went slow. The only reason they went slow is to drag out this process for as long as possible, since while they are doing transfers they dont have to do anything else.

They must have really tested that before they started it then.

I bet everyone who did log on, had to do something other than log in and select the origin server.

Or Bioware just didnt think that some people would do that and just said you wont be able to log into that server and think that people wouldnt try

Well asia pacific went off without this problem did it not ?

So whats so different about the playerbase this effected.

The glich had nothing to do with the reason they went slow. The only reason they went slow is to drag out this process for as long as possible, since while they are doing transfers they dont have to do anything else.

Looking for glitches is exactly why they're going slow. You're reasoning makes no sense whatsoever....lol. :D

Right so you go from saying bioware say you can to bioware will tell you you cant and log you out but you can log back in even though you know it can take upto 3 hours, your logic is astounding.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious, some people got around it and were able to log in again even though its clearly stated it can take upto 3 hours and not play them till complete. Should i eat lead paint because no on stops me from eating lead paint, under your logic thats exactly what we should do.

Saying that it will take up to 3 hours makes it worse, people will think that they might have the 3 hours to quickly go on their character to do something. Also, for the lead paint.... people are aware of things like that, and I bet some people have tried it without knowing. As much as you might think its common sense to not go on a character in the process of being transferred, its not. There is a lot of people that know nothing about computers. Maybe your life is all about computers so its common sense to you, but it isn't for everyone.

Well what if the server that I'm able to transfer to I don't want to go to... I've already made contacts on Fatman and would like to bring my lvl 50's there...

I just want to transfer to Fatman and not have it be a problem. I understand they are worried about the server balance... BUT maybe the problem is that not enough people are playing... We don't need 10 servers... We more than likely only need 5. Players keep dropping like flies and i'm about to be the next one unless I can go to Fatman.

If i'm just SOL about the transfer than i'll just say F it and not renew.

EA may not care, but they will when the server population drops so low that they can't chrage a monthly fee anymore...

This game should just go free to play with a market. They have already lost a lot of credibility with many people.