Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You dont understand it at all. The reason people think they are taking it slow is to prevent que times. What I am saying that it should be impossible to get a que time if they did the transfers correctly.

They take 20 origin servers and 1 destination server. They add up all the players on that server so that it does not go into a que. They can then allow all 20 of those servers to start transfering now since the actual process of transfering the characters is working.

There should be absolutly no chance of servers hitting a que if they opened up all servers for origin or destination at one time.

The issue isn't queues on servers, it's load on the transfer itself. There are literally millions of characters that need switched, and there isn't hardware in existence that can handle that much communication between server clusters. Networking speeds and capabilities are much less than IDE communication. Loads must therefore be throttled.

You dont understand it at all. The reason people think they are taking it slow is to prevent que times. What I am saying that it should be impossible to get a que time if they did the transfers correctly.

They take 20 origin servers and 1 destination server. They add up all the players on that server so that it does not go into a que. They can then allow all 20 of those servers to start transfering now since the actual process of transfering the characters is working.

There should be absolutly no chance of servers hitting a que if they opened up all servers for origin or destination at one time.

It's taking a long time because not everyone logs in at 6am after a patch. Most players probably won't even log in today at all that want to move. If they opened the floodgates now and allowed 20 servers to transfer to a single destination server they could be overwhelmed by transfers on the weekend by late-comers.

It's going to take time. A loooong time. Be patient. :)

So the problem isn't that Bioware is "burying" your post. It's that Bioware is giving EVERYONE their own say and now YOUR post isn't "standing out" in the forum?

How is Bioware suppressing discussion by keeping it all in one place? This way, if you have a concern that gets addressed, they don't have to repost the same answer in eighteen different threads.

The reason your post gets pushed back is because of multiple pages of "discussion" going on.

You HAVE to be kidding me with this...

Having to post in this massive thread makes him one of the masses like the rest of us.. btw I really wish I could have been

guy. Fits him really well.

The issue isn't queues on servers, it's load on the transfer itself. There are literally millions of characters that need switched, and there isn't hardware in existence that can handle that much communication between server clusters. Networking speeds and capabilities are much less than IDE communication. Loads must therefore be throttled.

Your right and its 4pm east coast time and most people that play this game have not logged in yet.

Wouldnt you open up alot of servers in low times so you can get more transfers going so that at rushhour you dont have to deal with as many?

Instead they are limiting who can go and then when more people want to go from those locations later everyone else will be stuck because it when they could have done it already.

It's hard to be patient when I m paying for something that is in it's current state not worth the money.

I'm paying for it too. I'm on a dead server with 12 people on the fleet and yet I still feel its worth paying 50 cents a day to play. If you'd rather do something else with your pennies then by all means. :rolleyes:

Your right and its 4pm east coast time and most people that play this game have not logged in yet.

Wouldnt you open up alot of servers in low times so you can get more transfers going so that at rushhour you dont have to deal with as many?

Instead they are limiting who can go and then when more people want to go from those locations later everyone else will be stuck because it when they could have done it already.

Really? So open up transfers during the day, but then restrict and close them down when people get home to actually do it? And you don't think that would go over like a lead balloon?

It's hard to be patient when I m paying for something that is in it's current state not worth the money.

They are trying to fix it. But it's going to take time.

What is it that you are wanting to happen right now?

Ultimately it's completely up to you if the game is worth waiting for or not. We're ALL paying subs or else we couldn't post in the forums (I believe). There is always the option on un-subbing until the game is where you want it to be.

How long it's going to take to implement the other transfers that allow me to go to the server i want to go will make MY decision of whether or not to un-sub until they are available. If it's weeks, I can probably wait. If it's MONTHS, I'll take off and maybe come back then. Since my characters are all on destination servers, this round isn't that beneficial for me.

I'm just waiting for it to finish so I can find out how long I have to wait for what I need.

I like how those "dead" servers all of a sudden are containing millions of characters according to the fanboys.

The fact that the destination servers are predetermined narrows down the amount of characters people will move, they won't be able to gather everyone from every server anyway. Add to this that a whole bunch of chars on the "dead" servers are chars that people have no interest in anymore and probably already have re-rolled on a new server anyway. So how many chars would be moved?

I'm determined that the bottleneck here is that the transfers require more manual input than BW likes to admit and not the system/hardware in itself.

Also, i foresee that quite a few people on the standard/light servers will get screwed over. They will most certainly have to wait a long time and I wouldnt be surprised if BW all of a sudden said that they cant move on behalf of being to big, despite not having healthy populations. The real winners here are those on superlow servers and the heavy servers who get even more people.

Edited by MidichIorian

It's taking a long time because not everyone logs in at 6am after a patch. Most players probably won't even log in today at all that want to move. If they opened the floodgates now and allowed 20 servers to transfer to a single destination server they could be overwhelmed by transfers on the weekend by late-comers.

It's going to take time. A loooong time. Be patient. :)

You dont understand this at all. If Bioware did it right they could have everyone in the game trasnfer at exactly the same time (given that it was possible with hardware etc) and that there would still be no ques for any server. When people transfer should not be an issue with any que times or anything like that. Bioware must leave room for them when they did the planning so that they didnt run into an issue of guildies not being able to trasnfer to the same server just because one trasnfered today and one wont be able to trasnfer untill next week.

Phase one is to get all servers as an origin or a destination server. Phase two is to check and see how phase one went and make adjustments for any servers that did not meet their intended populations (Because of people quitting or not wanting to transfer etc).

Maintenance: June 13th, 2012 | 06.12.2012, 08:14 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience as we continue to gradually open up new servers for free character transfers. The vast majority of transfers are being completed successfully, but we have discovered a very rare issue that can occur during the transfer process that will require us to perform a brief maintenance tonight from 2AM CDT (12AM PDT/3AM EDT/8AM BST/9AM CEST/5PM AEST) to 4AM CDT (2AM PDT/5AM EDT/10AM BST/11AM CEST/7PM AEST). The game servers and SWTOR.com will be unavailable during this time. Due to this issue, we will not be opening any new servers today for free character transfers, but rest assured that we will resume tomorrow morning.

For those of you that are currently eligible for character transfers, in order to prevent this rare issue from occurring, please log out of your current game session before you initiate the character transfer process.

Thank you all for your patience, and we look forward to opening more servers for transfers tomorrow!

No more transfers today. Good luck tomorrow everyone! :)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience as we continue to gradually open up new servers for free character transfers. The vast majority of transfers are being completed successfully, but we have discovered a very rare issue that can occur during the transfer process that will require us to perform a brief maintenance tonight from 2AM CDT (12AM PDT/3AM EDT/8AM BST/9AM CEST/5PM AEST) to 4AM CDT (2AM PDT/5AM EDT/10AM BST/11AM CEST/7PM AEST). The game servers and SWTOR.com will be unavailable during this time. Due to this issue, we will not be opening any new servers today for free character transfers, but rest assured that we will resume tomorrow morning.

For those of you that are currently eligible for character transfers, in order to prevent this rare issue from occurring, please log out of your current game session before you initiate the character transfer process.

Thank you all for your patience, and we look forward to opening more servers for transfers tomorrow!

...as he tosses a "complaint grenade" into the room and walks away...

I like how those "dead" servers all of a sudden are containing millions of characters according to the fanboys.

Despite huge improvements being made to the Character Transfer Service by our server team, there are millions of characters to be moved and there is a limit to how many can be moved daily.

From here.

Characters, not players. :rolleyes:

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Really? So open up transfers during the day, but then restrict and close them down when people get home to actually do it? And you don't think that would go over like a lead balloon?

NO it wouldnt. Right now everything is already closed so how could it be any worse.

Lets anyone that wants to trasnfer now start the transfer. When the limit that they can do at one time is reach then you just put a waiting line on it so that when ready they can start the process.

first 100 people start transfers (just using 100 as the most they can do at a time) when the 101 person starts it they get a message saying that their trasnfer will be put on a list and should start in 5 mins. the 500th person on the liest will be told 4 hours (again using numbers just as examples). Anyone on the waiting list can continue playing the game if they want and when a slot opens up they get a message saying the trasnfer process is ready and they will need to log out to have it begin.

That would be 1000x better than what they have now. People will know roughly when they will begin transfering and not be left in the dark as they are now.

I'm paying for it too. I'm on a dead server with 12 people on the fleet and yet I still feel its worth paying 50 cents a day to play. If you'd rather do something else with your pennies then by all means. :rolleyes:

I already unsubbed, unfortunately it is not expired yet, I hope for a reason to resub, but I won't be doing so if I'm on a dead server the day before the sub runs out.

From the DevTracker-

Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

Should read we are all going home now because its the end of the day and we will start manually trasnfering character again tomorrow when we get back. We are just going to take down the servers and the website to act like we are doing something to fix a problem.

Looks like the easy fix to this problem is just tell everyone to log out before starting the transfer process :eek:

Edited by Emeda