Vanity Pet as target

PatrickDW

Hello. Yup, still new. I'm thinking my learning curve is almost done - but I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to turn off auto target of your vanity pet. I like having the pet running with me, but when I'm in combat I don't like it when I press Ctrl + Tab to target my companion (to heal and stuff) and I end up targeting my vanity pet. I hate to admit it but my companion has died while a shielded vanity pet and I look on more than once already. Frustrating. Any help, or is this not an option yet? Thanks.

I had no idea Ctrl+Tab did that... I always use shift+F1 to select my companion. It never selects the pet. I suggest you try that - it may be a bit of an adjustment to learn a new keybind, but it sounds like it will be worth it.

Hello. Yup, still new. I'm thinking my learning curve is almost done - but I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to turn off auto target of your vanity pet. I like having the pet running with me, but when I'm in combat I don't like it when I press Ctrl + Tab to target my companion (to heal and stuff) and I end up targeting my vanity pet. I hate to admit it but my companion has died while a shielded vanity pet and I look on more than once already. Frustrating. Any help, or is this not an option yet? Thanks.

LOL Thanks for the laugh. Sorry, no offense intended. My main is wearing full Rakata and I'm still learning how to use his talents.

Don't take your pet into combat. Problem solved.

BTW for healing there is a Focus Target feature that allows you to hot key to a new target when the key is depressed (all abilities cast are applied to the focus target) , and then returns focus to your original target when released. This allows you to instantly target and heal a companion or groupmate and not have to reaquire your combat target when done.

Edited by Owsley

I think your problem is you are using Target Next Friendly instead of Target companion. I have a Sawbones Scoundrel and I have target companion bound to Shift+C and Target Next Friendly bound to Shift + F.

I only use target next friendly in warzones, when I don't want to take the time to click and I'm reasonably sure the algorithm will give me the right target in 1-3 tabs. The rest of the time (pve) I just click the ops frame.

Note that while you can no longer take your vanity pet into warzones, I think you can still bring them into FPs and Ops, and keyboard targeters in your group may find this annoying.

Note that while you can no longer take your vanity pet into warzones, I think you can still bring them into FPs and Ops, and keyboard targeters in your group may find this annoying.

For this and other reasons, you should never have extra pets out in any kind of multi-character area. Every extra creature has to be rendered, and that can slow down people whose graphics cards are not that good. Also, it just makes for more visual clutter, which its best to avoid when lots of effects are going off.

To the OP: It's best to bind something specific for your companion, and not rely on Target Next Friendly, as that can target any player in the area. I bind the keys on my numeric keypad for healing.. 0 for my comp, 1-5 for party members (I don't do many Ops, but I don't think you can "target 6th group member", 7-8 for party member companions.