Ranged Dps

FatSentinel

I've been playing melee so far and I want to be a ranged class for change of pace, and I prefer not to be a force user this time. But after reading things on forums, what are reasons to use a Merc/Commando over a Sniper/Gunslinger?

My merc is more mobile and I have to work on positioning more which I enjoy (still pretty simple to play though of course). My merc is great for following the ball in huttball for example.

Sniper is great for setting up and just owning a large area. You should not lose 1 on 1 with your sniper unless you make a few mistakes. Sniper is also more mobile than most people think. Idk why though but I just get bored on my sniper. I find it easier to play well on even than merc but I just get bored. So if you are like me then maybe you will feel the same lol.

Most importantly for now and why Sniper is currently somewhat OP is that the game has a lot of 30m leaping players with huge burst and a tendency to target the first person they can leap to. Sniper is the only class they can't leap to and so this is a HUUUUUGGGGEEEEE advantage and means that snipers have to have less situational awareness than mercs.

Sniper is better overall though. It is the best 1v1 (in a warzone not a duel) class and it is the best area lockdown class. Now is it OP? Idk and prob not as it lacks some teamplay skills that other classes have. However, it is a class that you don't feel good when you beat someone though because you know you should have lol :) .

Edited by DarthRaika

Mercs are usually thought of as idiots due to the rotation (But not every merc is one), and are easy to shutdown with interrupts

Snipers on the other hand have longer range, leap immunity, interrupt immunity, better resource management, hit like a truck, have on-demand 20 seconds of full cc immunity at only 1 min (45 seconds speced). Oh, and they **** maruaders.

But don't go sniper, I like to feel special that I'm like the only sniper ever in this game, and played it before it was cool.

Ya most people think so but good players know that merc is supposed to fill the glass cannon slot and that a true glass cannon takes a lot of skill to be great at when pugging if the teams are near even. However, merc isn't really a glass cannon. Merc's defenses are a little too high and its dmg and mobility are a little too low. The skill with glass cannons is situational awareness and targetting not rotation. For that matter I've never had any class in any mmo that had a difficult pvp rotation (by difficult i mean hard to learn after playing for a few days). In all my years playing mmo's i've learned that the rotation is not part of the skill for above avg players and up since it becomes 2nd nature.

It is fun though as you know if a good marauder, tankasin, melee op, or ptech even notices you that you should die and so when you consistently not get noticed and/or at least not die while doing major killing you can have a lot of fun.