Level Cap

Shakydvs

BW great work on all the stuff you're doing and really happy to hear that you guys are trying to do stuff to bring the game into the right direction. However I have a concern about the level cap increase that was announced and believe that the game is a little 'young' still to consider this.

From my experiences of level caps they have always been associated with a game expansion which generally means 'heaps of new contents'. this usually means, multiple new fp's and a few new op's, more wz's, and more planets.

Now some people might disagree and or flame but really imo a level cap is not needed. What is needed is for you to fix the current pvp and open world pvp that is plaguing this game, create more sever events, add another maybe one more op's but a couple more fp's and keep level cap out until an actual expansion is released that incorporates heaps of new content.

If you release a level cap to soon with limited content you will 'break the game'. People will be over geared for all the other op's and fp's and trading 3 op's for 1 new one that accommodates the level cap is a bad design.

Now I know its only announced and that you plan on doing it at some point but 'think' about the 'risk' involved to the current content should you do that without the appropriate content to back it up.

Personally I would rather you fix Ilum than actually bring out another planet.

Happy to hear everyone's thoughts on this though.

I think you have a very good point. IMO, I'd love to see BW add a Nightmare Mode for all the current flashpoints that gives top-end (Campaign) gear.

There is potential to have a ton of good content; BW just need to tune the FP's to a harder level. I mean when was the last time you ran Athiss, Hammer Station, etc etc.

I concur and wish to refute the idea of a higher cap. I wish they would work on developing the game instead of extending their already tired theme. Introduce an innovative crafting system for gods sake, crafting is almost pointless, only really needed for augs, once every1 has an augmented set of gear crafting will become obsolete. All items are the same and boring, give me the ability to make unique items, random stats, custom skins. Edited by DiabloDoom

I am of the opinion that level caps should only happen with major expansions... and major expansions should only happen once every 2 years.

There are still some people who have not gotten to try this endgame... and as fun as leveling up is I think that even the causals (like myself) would like a chance to play endgame... even if we get there at a slower pace. (No, getting to say 60 then pugging level 50 opps does not count).

That was one thing I was not looking forward to... wish I saw this thread before I made my own oops.

i dont see the major problem with raising the level cap aslong as it isnt more then 5 levels. I dont think there would be a major uproar if they moved the level range of operations and some of the flashpoints if in doing so would allow for them to introduce new talents, skills, items and trading skills/patterns to better balance out the game and put in more variety within the constraints of mirrored class's.

This also gives a nice twist to the rewards from the legacy system for xp/rep gains and could be one of the reasons why ranked was held back. At the end of the day also it was never set in stone that this would be our final level cap until an expantion came out and other mmos have increased the level cap a little to balance out there games.

Edited by Shingara

Also new level cap means new ability purchases, either a money sink just to get your abilities up to par, and/or new abilities added, and honestly, classes as they stand have plenty of abilities. Not sure what it actually adds to the game.

Also new level cap means new ability purchases, either a money sink just to get your abilities up to par, and/or new abilities added, and honestly, classes as they stand have plenty of abilities. Not sure what it actually adds to the game.

Well lets look at it from outside of the box and with some common sense. We may have x ammount of skills to use but who says we have to use every single one of them, I hate the way wow went and is going now even more drastically by reducing choice in skills and talents you pick. I far more approve of having a glut of skills and choices that makes me different to my mate standing at the side of me, in pve it may stand out that a set rotation gives the best dps but for example in pvp no rule of set rotation works.

So more choices isnt a bad thing unless you are set on doing pin point down to the razors edge dps or healing but then again why cant there be 2 or 3 ways of hiting that razors edge of precision.

I can't agree more with you.

And I mean Wow went from 60-85 and look what happend there lvl 1-80 is just a rush through the game, the old content will be skiped away and no one will care for that anymore.

Please Bioware don't let that happen

Nothing about a level cap hike is going to "break" the game. They're adding new armor/weapons/mods for those added levels, and it will probably only be a 5 level extension for Chapter 4, if that. One new planet. And if not Chapter 4 itself, then probably at least a mini-chapter. Either way, it's not going to break anything as far as game mechanics go.

Seriously, why do some people seem to think that a level cap raise is going to "break" anything, gamewise? It makes sense for added story content. :)

I have plenty of Abilities already. Please give me more Skill Points instead.

Even just adding skill points would mean they would have to re-balance the trees. It's a lot of work that doesn't seem necessary to me. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, I just don't understand why they would want to.

However I have a concern about the level cap increase that was announced and believe that the game is a little 'young' still to consider this.

They said in the next year so level caps could be as far as 12 months away which would be almost a year and a half after launch. So don't see that the level cap increases are being rushed at all.

What is needed is for you to fix the current pvp and open world pvp that is plaguing this game.

Don't know that the pvp issues are really plaguing the game as the majority of MMO players don't PVP much or at all and so it's only plaguing the PVP playerbase.....not the game. Considering how many PVP'ers roll on PVE servers instead of PVP servers, organized objective trading between factions instead of fighting each other, and refuse to kill other players unless they get some elaborate reward for it, I'm not convinced that the majority of PVP'ers actually like to "PVP" anyway.

If you release a level cap to soon with limited content you will 'break the game'. People will be over geared for all the other op's and fp's and trading 3 op's for 1 new one that accommodates the level cap is a bad design.

What you described would be a bad design, but how can you honestly judge their design for the level cap when you literally are basing it on no information. You're just speculating as to when and how it will be done.

Personally I would rather you fix Ilum than actually bring out another planet.

Why is this an either-or situation? Who says they aren't going to fix Ilum or make other PVP changes? Fixing Ilum doesn't do anything to add new content for the PVE players (who are the majority of the players, i.e., customers).

More levels sound great. Belsavis is almost 10 lvls below the cap and people still go there for dailies etc. This will just be adding a new higher end area/planet/lvls etc. Its just more content.....

No need to panic about every little thing.

Edited by Thornsbane

BW, give us more content to do at level 50 **AS LEVEL 50s**.

My Trooper has already grinded the dailies to get all his 126s and he's now working on getting Elara's. My JK is still grinding to finish getting his, then he'll be having to start on Doc's. In the meantime, my BH just hit 37 so he still has all that to look forward to.

And now you're telling me that I'll have to go through all this again because you're going to raise the level cap?!!

J freakin' C, what is wrong with you people?!! This isn't rocket science!

I just would like more stuff for my level 50s to do - you know, some nice story-driven content, typical step and fetch-it or Fed-EX or go here and kill x of these-type RPG stuff - NOT PVP OR WARZONES OR RAIDS. Is that so hard to understand?

I agree with most. I believe level cap isn't needed this early, it will make things worse than they are. But who knows the content they were speaking of could be a year off. We shall see!