A humble suggestion: CoH

Orionmajor

OK, before I came here, I was on 8 years at City of Heroes. Granted, that place needs a new engine, but it made a community, and is still going strong after 8 years, which is a lot to say for an MMO. I humbly offer two things: I think the reason it lasts is bcause they got the social rp down pat, and I belive there is a lot that SWTOR can shamelessly rip off from that game.

First: Global ID. Simply put, it is an ID that works serverwide, so that if you are on Blank, someone could use the global id (which is separate from your char id) and say "hey, wanna do a flashpoint on Ajunta Pall?, we got healers." This would make it easier for a core of players to keep in touch.

Second: Global events. Those of you who play CoH remember the winter lord, long story short, monster attacks a city, everyone joins in to fight it. Star Wars has penty of plots that can work that way, even a means to organ ize them like the "bounty board." There is a feeling knowing you team up with people to repel an invader.

Third: In game radio. CoH had justice radio and the cape, internet radio done by fans, which allowed for player run contests. Again, this can be done with people rather than code.

Four: Player made newsletter: For a while, there was a palyer run newlsletter that had fan fic, fanart, fan made comics, advice, contests. This was beyond the forums, as people even got in character to make this. it's not like SW does not have people doing that already.

Ask anyone who played Coh, and they will tell you it helped. Also, when the CEO tried to clamp down on that, the game nearly died, until NCSOFT bought them out, and kept these things in place.

just some feedback on points 1 and 2

please clarify point 1, i believe instead of "serverwide" you mean that global ID's are well, global. Your current player character name is already serverwide, I.E. it can be used by anyone on your server to reach you. You may also want to extend this as there is no "realID" system in place, people can only add characters at the moment and not players, thus you and your alt take two slots on someone's friend list.

on 2: they already did a rather nice global event with the rakhghoul outbreak, it even breathed life back into global PVP for a while there. more like it would be appreciated.

1: They could implement this with legacy, but overall it should remain optional. I really don't want people to know every character I create, because I can hide my legacy name.

2: Events are great. We had one, and they have said more to come.

3 and 4 are purely optional, and I don't believe they should focus attention on them until much more is done to improve this game.

Third: In game radio. CoH had justice radio and the cape, internet radio done by fans, which allowed for player run contests. Again, this can be done with people rather than code.

For the Cape, that'd be "has", not "had". I'm on the staff. :cool:

OK, before I came here, I was on 8 years at City of Heroes. Granted, that place needs a new engine, but it made a community, and is still going strong after 8 years, which is a lot to say for an MMO. I humbly offer two things: I think the reason it lasts is bcause they got the social rp down pat, and I belive there is a lot that SWTOR can shamelessly rip off from that game.

First: Global ID. Simply put, it is an ID that works serverwide, so that if you are on Blank, someone could use the global id (which is separate from your char id) and say "hey, wanna do a flashpoint on Ajunta Pall?, we got healers." This would make it easier for a core of players to keep in touch.

Second: Global events. Those of you who play CoH remember the winter lord, long story short, monster attacks a city, everyone joins in to fight it. Star Wars has penty of plots that can work that way, even a means to organ ize them like the "bounty board." There is a feeling knowing you team up with people to repel an invader.

Four: Player made newsletter: For a while, there was a palyer run newlsletter that had fan fic, fanart, fan made comics, advice, contests. This was beyond the forums, as people even got in character to make this. it's not like SW does not have people doing that already.

Ask anyone who played Coh, and they will tell you it helped. Also, when the CEO tried to clamp down on that, the game nearly died, until NCSOFT bought them out, and kept these things in place.

As far as I'm concerned, most MMOs could learn a lot by looking closely at CoH (in its heyday, say from 2004 to 2008), as it's the most social casual MMO I've ever played. Hands down, easily.

Judging by how Cryptic cocked up Champions Online, it may be an accident that CoH just had something about it that made it a great social game for casual players.

The real pain in the *** about most MMOs is that the developers seem to have this blind spot about social gameplay, and assume that casual players are solo players, whereas social players are guild players. That this is wildly not true was proved by CoH. There are plenty of casual players who enjoy PUG-ing with strangers, and CoH just had some kind of synergy between its various elements that made casual PUG-ing incredibly easy to do, addictive and moreish.

Not that the game didn't have its faults, but at least in terms of getting people to play together, CoH was very good at that (I say "was" becasue I personally can't stand the sight of the game after being heavily addicted for 3 years, but I'm aware it's still going strong).