Question about tanking/DPS/Healing

jehulberg

I previously played DCuniverse online and in that you had to actually select with a option which mode you are running in. I haven't seen anything about this but is there something similar in this. Or is it just a matter of which spec you choose?

In DCUO you had to hit a switch that literally set you to tanking mode or DPS mode. I think it was Ctl-M or something like that. In this do you have to set your mode of tank vs DPS with a button, or is it just based on what spec your working on?

Your role is determined by your Advanced Class and spec. A Trooper, for example, chooses between Vanguard and Commando. Both of those AC's have access to DPS specs, but Commandos have a spec dedicated to healing and Vanguards have a spec dedicated to tanking. There are a couple of ACs where all 3 of their specs are DPS, however. Sentinel/Marauder, Gunslinger/Sniper.

A Commando can respec from healing to dps, but be truly effective at it, would need to swap into the appropriate gear.

The people above have it pretty much summed up, Advanced classes/talent determine if you are Tank/Healer/DPS.

However the one thing that i would add is about tanking, as you do get specific tanking stances for your characters that help to increase threat generation. The only one that i can think of off the top of my head is the Powertech Ion Cell but the other tanking classes do have them you just have to read the stances/cells.

You usually get them around level 14 if i remember correctly

As above, it's mostly determined by your Advanced Class and Spec, although for some classes there is also a mode or stance or something which will benefit what you're trying to do.

My Trooper's a Commando, and specced into Combat Medic, but can still dps (not fantastic dps but gets the job done) without making any spec changes. When healing in a group, by myself, or if I might need to switch to healing, I have Combat Support Cell active. When only dpssing I use Armor Piercing.

Similar to my Consular, who's a Shadow, and specced into Kinetic Combat. I use Combat Technique while tanking which includes solo questing (levelling as tank usually not recommended but it's what I do). If instead I wanted to dps I'd switch to Force Technique. If I respecced into Infiltration I'd use Shadow Technique instead.

The following ACs have a similar mode or stance or something:

Consular(Shadow): Technique - Combat (tanking), Force (KC/Balance dps), Shadow (Infiltration only dps)

Inquisitor(Assassin): Charge - Dark (tanking), Lightning (Dark/Madness dps), Surging (Deception only dps)

Knight/Warrior: Form - Soresu (tanking), Juyo (Sent/Mar dps), Ataru (Sent(Combat)/Mar(Carnage) only dps), Shien (Guar(Vigilance)/Jugg(Vengeance) only dps), Shii-Cho (shared dps)

Trooper: Cell - Ion (Van tanking), Combat Support (Comm healing), Armor Piercing (Comm dps), High Energy (Van dps), Plasma (dps)

Bounty Hunter: Cylinder - Ion (PT tanking), Combat Support (Merc healing), High Velocity (Merc dps), High Energy (PT dps), Combustible (shared dps)