attack types, damage types

so do people think BW screwed up with balancing because they created a needlessly complicated combat logic?

Melee, ranged, force, tech, elemental, internal, kinetic, energy......with different buffs,debuffs, defense for each? Not sure how they could possibly have tested this properly to ensure that it made 'sense' holistically.

I'm just asking this because I have invested heavily into a full tank guardian spec....I love it...it's what I do. Works great for PvE but as many many threads point out, it is severely gimped in PvP (mind you, I DON'T find this actually, I have a job to do and I survive well but i THINK it is because I am almost always playing against REPS!)

I just don't understand how they can make a class like Sorc that pretty much ignores anything the tank can protect against and even ignoring a specific class, it seems like the defense/shield/absorb doesn't provide enough benefit versus the 'best defense is a strong offense' approach (you can use guard an taunt just as well in DPS spec). But this is primarily a result of people working around the game mechanics if they want to contribute optimally

Just wondering if people think that the design is working versus just another thing they spent too much time on and got 'probably' wrong to the detriment of doing other things.

Of course, I'm also asking because I feel foolish now investing in war-leader PvP gear just to find out that from all calculations, I'm an idiot for doing so.....

You do realize there are only really two attack types and two damage types, right? Just multiple names for them. So in that respect, it is much simpler than many other games that have 4+ damage types.

Your real gripe is a secondary issue -- the fact that the devs believe they have balanced tanks in pvp by making certain classes able to ignore much of their armor/shielding. That's entirely separate from what BW did with creating the attack/damage types in the first place. It comes down to balance and BW seemingly being afraid that tanks would be unkillable damage machines -- ask any Immortal Juggernaut if they feel like an unkillable damage machine. Much of that, however, comes down to the Immortal tree and issues with it compared to (say) Tankassins.

My point is you're complaining about damage/attack types but your real gripe is a balance issue.

Although something needs to be revised, tanks underestimate how hard is for ranged + kinetic/energy damage to kill them. The Defense + Shield/Absord + Armor reduction is so out of proportion powerful against them. Therefore you get the downside of having useless layers of defense against anyone that does a different sort of attack/damage.

Don't believe me? Put a Marksmanship sniper against a fully shielded tank. You will understand how frustrating is to fight them. In fact, Any Heavy armor is a real pain to deal with for snipers that are not specced into lethality. In fact this is so ridiculous, that any sniper wanting to have a fighting chance in 50 PVP goes for lethality.

So pls, you only notice the classes you are weak against, and you do not take notice about how well your damage mitigation works against certain classes. Try playing a lightning sorc against the very same sniper, you will get wiped from the warzone.

Edited by NoTomorrow

I'm not talking about how under or overpowered the tank is, nor specifically about balance. I'm primarily concerned that everything I read essentially states that defense/shield/absorb is wasted in PvP because of the way the mechanics have been implemented.

I have not seen this myself because I am quite happy playing the defense focused guardian. However, I have to take into consideration that the overwhelming number of posts and statistical breakdown analysis of the attributes are saying that I am not doing myself a favor by speccing this way instead of going DPS with an offhand shield for 'some mitigation'.

I get that they would be concerned with invincible tanks - but the issue is more that the way they get around that is by introducing a class (classes?) that eilminate any tank advantage - so it would seem that this naturally creates a system where there is forced imbalance simply by the makeup of any specific team which I think could have been eliminated by more simple mechanics.

The defense guardian seems to work very well in operations and I'm just concerned that taking the same PvE approach to stats/gear into PvP is going to do a disservice - to the extent that I 'should' redo my skill tree for PvP and then each time I go into an ops!

of course, I'm also saying that I have no issues right now because I end up fighting 90% against other pubs but once server merge occurs I could find myself having to radically rethink my build