Personal idea: Personalized, solo-based class Flashpoints (Could it work?)

Greetings SW:TOR community. I'm not sure exactly where to post this, so I decided to post this in Star Wars Discussion. Now, allow me to get a few things out of the way:

One: I have not played any MMOs besides Star Wars: The Old Republic, and Galaxies, and World of Warcraft, so if this idea that I am putting down is a copy off of some other MMO's idea, than I am completely unaware, and I apologize for that. Two: This is only an idea, and I don't intend to push it off to Bioware and force them to make it, and I'm not petitioning them to implement this into the game, I'm simply throwing this idea out there. This is for the community. Three: This idea literally came off of a whim one evening while playing some Huttball PvP with a guildy, so it's not particularly planned out completely, it's just something that came up that I want to throw out there.

Alright, so: Bioware has created a great game, and in this great experience the player has a very heavily story-based leveling experience which envelops them in the story, and makes them a part of the world in a more intimate and lore-wise sense, rather than just a player amongst the millions. Each class story makes you unique, it makes you someone who is power: The BEST Bounty Hunter out there, the BEST Jedi Knight out there, etc, etc. The class story makes you someone powerful, and someone who is supposed to be the best of the best and as such, you should always feel powerful whenever you go out there and take down a group of monsters, or solo some Elite or Champion, the game makes you feel amazing (At least I think so).

While leveling to 50, you can literally do the entire experience on your own. Your story becomes KOTOR3 in some respects, in the essence that you are alone in this big world, and you are fulfilling your destiny as the character, doing what you are supposed to, and doing it as you desire: Light or Dark, selfish or selfless, etc etc. If you want to isolate yourself from the world, you very much can. This experience, while both bitter and sweet in a multitude of respects, is akin to the original KOTOR1 and KOTOR2 because you were the -only- person running around with a mind of your own, doing what you want with your story.

After you hit level 50, all of these strange people suddenly come in. People you may not have even met before, or people that seem strange and alien to you start interceding upon your life. You suddenly must group up with these people whom you've never met before, and possibly cannot trust because they seem strange, or shady. You are forced to group up with either three, seven, up to a total of sixteen other people to complete these near-impossible challenges that you could never even dream of completing yourself when you were doing your class quest.

Yes, you could isolate yourself again. You could head over and complete daily quests on Ilum, Coreillia, or Belsavis to fulfill your desire of solo-play, to get that sense that this world is yours again, but the experience doesn't get you very far. The experience only allows you to take a fraction of end game content with you at the end of the daily. Daily commendations cannot buy you a full set of gear, it can only give you a limited number of items, and the quest rewards given to you either have a random chance to give you what you could use, or are limited in what they give to your character. You become, as repeated, limited in solo-play.

For a great game, that makes you feel like a single player, your desire to gain gear, and keep it is severely limited when you hit level 50 because of the group content you need to complete to get the best gear. Now I'm not suggesting that someone who solo's should get the best gear, no, I believe that people who group and go the extra mile to institute themselves with other players should get better gear, if not, the best gear possible. But I believe that people who solo should be given a fairer chance.

At the current time, the PvE gear prospects are as such: Tionese -> Columi -> Rakata -> Campaign/Black Hole.

The PvP gear ascendency is: Recruit -> Battlemaster -> War Hero -> Ranked War Hero (When Ranked PvP arrives).

Someone who -only- spends their time performing dailies, and getting daily items and gear, gets to a gear level of about Tionese, if not a level below Tionese. They could, in theory, enter normal Operations (Particularly Eternity Vault, and Karagga's Palace) but they are still considered at a lower point in the gear ratio because of their inability to gain better gear due to their desire to solo. I believe they should be given a level between Tionese and Columi. If Tionese is a level "1" and Columi is a level "2", I believe solo players should gain a level "1.5" in their gear.

So, the idea: Solo Flashpoints.

I do not literally mean they go to a flashpoint and solo it on their own, no, I'm suggesting something entirely different.

The concept of "Solo Flashpoints" will be called, more professionally, "Story Extensions". Story Extensions are small, 30-45 minute solo-instances within end game territories such as Ilum, Belsavis, Corellia, Voss, Black Hole, and on the Ziost Shadow and it's Republic Equivalent. These flashpoints can be easily accessed, if not accessed through safe, but lengthy means to locate them and enter them due to their further-placed locations. The Story Extensions are small scenarios where, depending on the location, the player must "Mop up" the resistance of their former enemies, or the actual enemies of their faction.

For example(Spoiler of Sith Warrior):

In the Sith Warrior storyline, the player fights in Act 3, Republic forces, and the forces of Darth Baras alike. These Story Extensions would depict the remaining members of Darth Baras' army/forces as they try to hide away from the Sith Warrior/The Emperor's Wrath. In addition to the followers of Darth Baras, members of the Republic could also be considered a threat due to the mail that is given to the Warrior upon the completion of his/her class story. In example dialogue: Servant One/Two contacts the Warrior via a location on the fleet, or on their ship via their intercom or HoloTerminal and tells them about the forces of Baras on planets X, Y, and Z. They tell the Wrath to clean up the forces before they mount a counter attack. A second/the other quest would be the same Servants contacting the Warrior telling him/her about Republic forces on planet X, Y, and Z (Or ships/vessels, possibly). In which they tell the Warrior to mop up the forces. This would take the Warrior out to these instances, enter a brief few cut scenes before, in the middle, and at the end of each instance before moving onto the next one.

Each Story Extension would give the player anywhere from 2-3 bosses, and a chest filled with gear. But not just any kind of gear, gear specific to their class and their companions. However, these Story Extensions would be a tad bit difficult if the player is shooting for gear between a Tionese and Columi level, so how would they gear up their companions (Which are essential to completing these instances) and themselves?

In addition to the current daily rewards, new daily rewards could open up that are called "Companion Equipment packs". Each equipment pack could cost about 30-60 Daily Commendations, and be assigned specific designations: Healer, Melee Tank, Ranged Tank, Ranged DPS, melee DPS, etc. The equipment packs would give a full set of visible gear (Head, chest, gloves, boots, belt, leggings, bracers, maybe even a weapon or offhand.) of blue quality and possibly a rare Artifact to equip to a person's companion so they have the necessary gear strength to assist the character in completing these Story Extensions.

The actual Story Extension itself would give artifact-level gear for either, and/or: The Character itself, or the companion. The gear would be Orange quality (Moddable gear) with already-outfitted mods in it. The instance would take into account the Advanced Class of the character, and what their current skill tree is filled out with. If a majority of points are in tanking, or in the DPS tree, it will drop that specific type of gear for the character, while any companion gear could drop for any companion. Weapons could also drop as well, but have a rarer chance of dropping due to the importance of weapons.

In addition, the Story Extension would contain Light and Dark side choices: Spare the next room of mobs, or kill them by gassing the room. Kill the final boss, or take him into custody and let him live. Simple things things like that, that would give the player a truer/extended sense of what their character is, and what they do, or who they are.

The quest(s) given to complete each section of Story Extensions, whether it be killing the enemy faction's soldiers, or killing the followers of your final story-boss rival would give an additional reward to the player: Either a set of gear for them, a weapon choice, or a box that contains an artifact-level gear for themselves, or another one specific for their companions.

The final product of completing these Story Extensions would be to gear the player, and their companions, to allow them easy access in normal mode operations, perhaps even giving them a fair chance at Hard Mode Operations. They would have a look, perhaps different to those who would actually gear up via Operations, and Flash Points, but they would still be viable in their roles as Tank, healer, or DPS.

Once more, I'd like to re-iterate that this is only an idea, and nothing I want to push on. But it's an idea, none the less, that I'd like to put out to the community.

because what this game needs is MORE single player stuff!

sorry but no. yah it would be cool. I'm not saying the idea itself is bad..but current game conditions make it so.

this game is already too much like a $15/mo single player game with co-op elements...last thing it needs until there is more incentive to group and more group content at all levels...is more single player content

Tionese is so poorly itemized, lvl 49 purples and a combo of heroic daily (which can be soloed) rewards/ daily vendor bought stuff is better then Tionese already. The only thing you're missing is the set bonuses..which for some AC/specs are very good, and for others is crap.

because what this game needs is MORE single player stuff!

sorry but no. yah it would be cool. I'm not saying the idea itself is bad..but current game conditions make it so.

this game is already too much like a $15/mo single player game with co-op elements...last thing it needs until there is more incentive to group and more group content at all levels...is more single player content

One phrase, MMO. You don't like it go back to playing KOTOR I and II.

It's an MMO you are suppose to play with other people. The game 95% of the games content is soloable and never have to interact with anyone if you don't want to. The game needs more content with other players involved.

It's an MMO you are suppose to play with other people. The game 95% of the games content is soloable and never have to interact with anyone if you don't want to. The game needs more content with other players involved.

Correction: The game needs more players for the content.

Merge the servers immediately.

Regards,

KK

I quite like this idea - as a mainly solo-player in a tiny guild, i find it hard to log into my main these days. Dailies get quite boring quite fast, as they only take a few minutes to complete per quest. Longer repeatable missions like this, which would as you suggest link to the class story, would be fun.

And yes, I know, this is an MMO, and sure, i'll run regular flashpoints as well, but imo it would be a nice addition

I really like the idea.

But i also think its not a good idea for a MMORPG.

I'd personally prefer to see more story created for your class beyond lvl 50 first.

OR

Remember the mission on KOTOR 1 and 2 that involved your companions and not your "main"? I'd like to see more of that.

Edited by Karasuko