WoW vs SWTOR

wavace

Been playing for a week now. I have been playing WoW for years now and noticed that SWTOR appears to have less exploring options than WoW. It looks as though the world is pretty much in a straight line with very little to explore. Does this change at higher levels? I am a level 14 smuggler atm.

Some worlds (starting near the end of act 1 I think) have "Area" quests that you can't pick up from a quest giver. The only way to do them is to wander into that area and then the quest populates in your log automatically. These quests are also in a section of the map that have no quest objectives for other quests so the only way to get them is to explore the map until you wander into the area quest section.

Yes there is less exploring content. As stated earlier hunt for datacrons. Some are tough to get and require some thinking. Look for Lore objects and Codex Entries. Check your mission log/codex and look up planets, it will tell you how many of a species, datacron, etc that you have found and how many are left to find on a plant. Hunt for pets too.

WoW has been out for years, this only has 6months of stuff in it. I'm sure that if this game lasts for years it will be packed with things. Its my observation that the SWTOR universe is HUGE, and it can feel/play extremely linear, if you let it, but if you want to hunt down everylast thing on a planet it takes some time, effort, and exploration.

If you're on a PvP server it increases your chances of cross-faction encounters as well :)

Yes there is less exploring content. As stated earlier hunt for datacrons. Some are tough to get and require some thinking. Look for Lore objects and Codex Entries. Check your mission log/codex and look up planets, it will tell you how many of a species, datacron, etc that you have found and how many are left to find on a plant. Hunt for pets too.

WoW has been out for years, this only has 6months of stuff in it. I'm sure that if this game lasts for years it will be packed with things. Its my observation that the SWTOR universe is HUGE, and it can feel/play extremely linear, if you let it, but if you want to hunt down everylast thing on a planet it takes some time, effort, and exploration.

If you're on a PvP server it increases your chances of cross-faction encounters as well :)

^ This right here.

OP, please remember TOR is "brand new." It automatically has less in it than an older MMO.

Edited by Eillack

I just started a month ago, and have several different characters around levels 25-30, I agree with the previous posters- there's a lot of "linear" stuff than the other mmos I've played, and that has taken some getting used to. I've noticed that many of the quests lead to further stories (more so than with other mmos), so it also becomes a matter of picking which stories you want to keep following - if you follow them all, you'll outlevel the planet quite easily. Aside from the datacrons & lore objects, you'll get bonus and heroic quests on all the planets, which give you more options for what you want to do on each planet.

Also, in my opinion you're in the middle of a rather boring and "linear" run of planets. Coruscant, along with the next 2 planets you'll see, are very linear (and in my opinion, rather boring). However, once you get past those, the next 2 planets after that are a lot more open and TONS more fun. So, I thought levels 11-23 were rather boring, but 24-30 have been a blast!

I just started a month ago, and have several different characters around levels 25-30, I agree with the previous posters- there's a lot of "linear" stuff than the other mmos I've played, and that has taken some getting used to. I've noticed that many of the quests lead to further stories (more so than with other mmos), so it also becomes a matter of picking which stories you want to keep following - if you follow them all, you'll outlevel the planet quite easily. Aside from the datacrons & lore objects, you'll get bonus and heroic quests on all the planets, which give you more options for what you want to do on each planet.

Also, in my opinion you're in the middle of a rather boring and "linear" run of planets. Coruscant, along with the next 2 planets you'll see, are very linear (and in my opinion, rather boring). However, once you get past those, the next 2 planets after that are a lot more open and TONS more fun. So, I thought levels 11-23 were rather boring, but 24-30 have been a blast!

I agree. Tatooine and Alderaan are wonderful planets. Big, nice looking. Lots of exploration to do. And they also have a real nice atmosphere. Tatooine's background music reminds me a lot of the Dune movie music. (Prophecy Theme).

To be honest, it is kind of silly to expect that a game that is ten years old (which is ancient in cyberspace) to not have more places to explore. However, for all that space, WoW is very linear in it's movement; you do not climb mountains, or go up or down much. Also, the idea of actually getting off planets is nice, as you can simply leave, or check out an old planet for the sake of searching for craft items.

I think that SWTOR also has the chance to grow into a larger grid: there are plenty of planets that could be added, like Csilla, and many more that could simply be made (as we are not limitied by the Movies.)

I agree with alot of the above. SWTOR has alot of potential. Some planets are kindof linear but for the most part even on those planets the way you level still beats any other MMO out there. The majority of the planets are very fun and interesting. Some of them are shorter than others but what they lack in size they make up for in performance.. I mean just look at all the detail in the terrain on Voss or Quesh.

I've heard alot of negative things about SWTOR and all of the rants and complaints allways compare it to WoW. When WoW was six months old it didn't have this much content. Its end game was Upper Blackrock Spire... The only real differance between the two imo is that when WoW came out there wasn't another monster of an MMO to compare it to out there.

Here are my biggest two points when it comes to comparing the two.

1-Don't look at wow now, look at wow at the same age when comparing gameplay/content.

2-How many of Blizzards Expansions dissapointed you? woo another 10 levels of some fairly different creatures to be killed in the same old way for some new gear.. oh look a new continent and another pvp zone...

My biggest pet pieve about WOW's expansions... A level 70 green item that drops off a random mob that is better than my tier set on the first group i killed in the new expansion... Kinda takes the pride/enjoyment of working my arse off for the gear just to have it replaced by something not meaningfull 2 minutes into the new game content.

In TOR I hope and forsee new planets with extended class storylines and an actual goal to achieve when they expand (still to be seen but TOR hasn't let me down yet, WoW has... over and over)

If you are looking for greater content then wait till you get to the later planets. Though the planet itself was a mash up of several planets Belsavis' story was VERY good. Voss is beautiful as are the species themselves Bioware did a greatt job on the Voss themselves. Corellia is wonderful aswell... think coruscant but in ruin my point in all of this is the later planets are the ones you will like if you like exploring Belsavis is gigantic! anyway wait for those I promise it gets better

I really don't understand the constant comparisons to WoW or other games. Building the SWTOR universe is an incredible task that will hopefully play out over ten or more years. The thing that intrigues me most is how the game will continue to grow and evolve over time, not just its state in year one. I have a strong feeling that SWTOR in a decade will put the current WoW to shame as technology continues to improve, but that too is an unfair comparison.

Coruscant, along with the next 2 planets you'll see, are very linear (and in my opinion, rather boring). However, once you get past those, the next 2 planets after that are a lot more open and TONS more fun. So, I thought levels 11-23 were rather boring, but 24-30 have been a blast!

Totally agree with you on the early planets being less open, but can you imagine how bored you would be getting from quest to quest on a more open map without a speeder bike. I think Bioware was really precise about timing the introduction of spacious planets with obtaining your speeder bike.