Instant ability bug

Dmasterr

Please do not move this thread, as it concerns pvp situations.

If you get hit with a knockback, grapple, stun during the animation of your "instant" attack ( i.e: smash,overload,etc ) Your attack will not happen BUT the ability will go on cooldown.

Also if you graple or extricate a target under the effects of a previous grapple extricate (e.g.: you use yours while the target was mid air from the first one ), the target will land at the FIRST grapple extricate location, and your ability ends on cooldown. -> has no effect. (this happens as well with targets in mid air from air vents in hutball.)

Please fix these bugs, as some classes rely on said "instant" abilities.

TLDR: make "instant" abilities actually INSTANT.

Edited by Dmasterr

Please do not move this thread, as it concerns pvp situations.

If you get hit with a knockback, grapple, stun during the animation of your "instant" attack ( i.e: smash,overload,etc ) Your attack will not happen BUT the ability will go on cooldown.

Also if you graple or extricate a target under the effects of a previous grapple extricate (e.g.: you use yours while the target was mid air from the first one ), the target will land at the FIRST grapple extricate location, and your ability ends on cooldown. -> has no effect. (this happens as well with targets in mid air from air vents in hutball.)

Please fix these bugs, as some classes rely on said "instant" abilities.

TLDR: make "instant" abilities actually INSTANT.

The first one is not a bug because skills start their cooldown the moment the button is pushed and not when the skill actually activates. I don't like it, but it's not a bug. Instant abilities have varying degrees of when they do damage. Some do it at the start of the GCD (shock) while others do damage towards the end of the GCD (project). I believe BW added instants that did damage at the end of GCD in order to at skill to the game. If a person is good enough, they can react fast enough to prevent taking damage from that instant ability (knocking away a guardian using sweep).

As for the second one, I've been pulled by an enemy and while in mid air got pulled by a friendly and ended up at the friendly. So I'm not sure about your bug.

Edited by Smashbrother

First one, is to make instant abilities actually instant, but the bug is that when u get knockbacked the effect of your "instant ability doesn't register on the area you first were, you landed, or anywhere in between it is just removed. (some of the time, noticed it on smash)

Had the second happen, on my assassin, when i force pull a target who is extricated, it lands next to me then stutter in place for a second and is teleported to extricate location.

the bug doesn't happen if the target is about to "land" at the first grapple/extricate location, but rather if you use it in the first half of the "travel" distance the target has to do between point A and point B.

When i force pull a guy who just used the air vent, it just doesn't register.

Edited by Dmasterr

I believe BW added instants that did damage at the end of GCD in order to at skill to the game. If a person is good enough, they can react fast enough to prevent taking damage from that instant ability (knocking away a guardian using sweep).

Instant mean instant, so it couldn't be interupted with any mechanics. Especially hit hard by this "feature" are Jedi Sages. Force Wave and Telekinetic Project. In 90% of cases my Force Wave does nothing simply because people just move out or interupt mine. Often when I use Force Wave I'm kick back by somone else who did use his Instant knock back second after I did cast mine.

It is clearly bug and there couldn't be any excuse. Especially Project compared to complementary ability on Imperial side for SIth Sorcerer where that spell does hit really "instantly".

Instant mean instant, so it couldn't be interupted with any mechanics. Especially hit hard by this "feature" are Jedi Sages. Force Wave and Telekinetic Project. In 90% of cases my Force Wave does nothing simply because people just move out or interupt mine. Often when I use Force Wave I'm kick back by somone else who did use his Instant knock back second after I did cast mine.

It is clearly bug and there couldn't be any excuse. Especially Project compared to complementary ability on Imperial side for SIth Sorcerer where that spell does hit really "instantly".

I can confirm your fist paragraph (as a Jedi Sage who PvPs quite a bit).

For example, my trooper commando friend, when he sees that a Jedi Sage begins his knockback animation, is able to knockback the Sage first without being affected by the Sage's knockback. Both are instant, but the Sage's animation takes longer to finish - the Sage is knocked back and his knockback cooldown is used even though nothing was done to his opponent.

I don't know if this is a "bug" per se, but it definitely affects gameplay fairness. Let's say the devs did change it so that the sage knockback activated as soon as you pressed the button and then the animation finished after the knockback was done. On one hand, this would be more fair probably. On the other hand, I think it'd be kind of awkward to have someone knocked away from the sage yet the sage hasn't even finished their knockback animation yet.

I'm not sure what the solution is. Yes, I'd love for my knockback to be instant, but graphically, I could definitely see how this would look extremely odd. I think they may have to redo the graphic for the knockback if they want the animation itself and the instant knockback to flow in a visually realistic manner.

Edited by Shlamorel