New Statement about Charactec Transfers

idonotdonot

Just saw this over on Darthhater

Joveth Gonzalez

"I know you are all eager for information regarding character transfers and I just wanted to let you all know that this is definitely a studio wide priority. We’ve just about finished up on the development side of things, but in order to ensure a high quality service, the system needs to undergo extensive testing. The testing cycle, as some of you may know, is variable and highly dependent on a number of things. With that being said, as soon as this process is complete and we are confident in the quality of the service, you can expect to hear more detailed information."

Does these seem to anyone else to be a statement preparing us for an annocement that testing didn't go well and transfers won't be ready for 1.3?

I have no idea when its going to be ready what i do know is for many people its going to be to late.

But it dosnt surprise me in the least if its pushed back as timely and when needed seems to have no bearing on when we actualy get it.

I have no idea when its going to be ready what i do know is for many people its going to be to late.

But it dosnt surprise me in the least if its pushed back as timely and when needed seems to have no bearing on when we actualy get it.

Working as intended trumps timely and needed.

Joveth Gonzalez

"I know you are all eager for information regarding character transfers and I just wanted to let you all know that this is definitely a studio wide priority. We’ve just about finished up on the development side of things, but in order to ensure a high quality service, the system needs to undergo extensive testing. The testing cycle, as some of you may know, is variable and highly dependent on a number of things. With that being said, as soon as this process is complete and we are confident in the quality of the service, you can expect to hear more detailed information."

Does these seem to anyone else to be a statement preparing us for an annocement that testing didn't go well and transfers won't be ready for 1.3?

To answer your question: Yes. I doubt we will get transfers at all because they have already lost too many subs to even keep the game running.

Working as intended trumps timely and needed.

Not when there's nobody left playing. Who cares if it works when people leave to go to another game?! I don't know if CoH has character transfers...don't care either.

You're suggesting that character transfers take 600+ employees to code?! That the 'initial' system was so bad that they scrapped the entire thing and began redesigning it? I would think that if they had an 'initial' system, we may be past the point of 'initial development', and on to the tweaking stage.

I don't know where you got 600+ employees all working on transfers. I never said such a thing. And I never said anything about scrapping anything. You're making things up.

to me, the fact that they didn't bother to have this basic function in game at launch speaks loudly of two things... they were no where ready to launch this game when they did, and needed a good 6-8 months to get it p to snuff and add basic features that other games have, and secondly, I honestly think they over-estimated the zeal with which folks would flock to, and stay with the game - and thus figured they could get away with this feature for a time being.

bottom line... they thought they had the second coming and folks wouldn't leave in droves before they put in the most basic of features on a server based game.

Also, seeing that the transfers worked in part for the other non-US side of the world, not sure why it needs SOOOOO much testing, unless it was a slapjob and was all done manually behind the scenes and for this scope (going to be HUGE), they can't spare the manpower.

Edited by skinthinner

No. But you sure are good at putting a spin on things.

Joveth Gonzalez

Yes, "we're about to begin testing" means "testing went badly", very astute of you.

Yes, "we're about to begin testing" means "testing went badly", very astute of you.

You are correct. My phrasing and tense were wrong. I guess the fact that they still haven't finished development and the talk about extensive testing (I'm not saying that's bad but it is a time factor) and the variabilities of testing gave me the impression of him not being overly confident that they were going to be ready anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong, but it's the first thing that hit me when I read it.

You are correct. My phrasing and tense were wrong. I guess the fact that they still haven't finished development and the talk about extensive testing (I'm not saying that's bad but it is a time factor) and the variabilities of testing gave me the impression of him not being overly confident that they were going to be ready anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong, but it's the first thing that hit me when I read it.

I think it's more of a general "**** sometimes goes wrong when testing, just because development will be finished doesn't mean we know 100% when we can release". You'd think it wouldn't be necessary for them to reiterate that, but then again this is the internet.

Edited by MillionsKNives

I personally wouldn't read anything into it except they are trying to be more responsive, as requested by the community, about the upcoming character transfer.

Transfers make sense regardless of the current populations. Plus the active population is not really an accurate measure since many may be waiting for transfers, 1.3, or both. Only time will tell.

More bait and switch.... just like PVP ranking.. they tell ya its coming out in 1.3 and now its going to end up being pulled... Here's a strong suggestion BW... Before you open up about whats coming out.... Keep it to yourself and test it. Once you know its good to go.. Then and only then.. announce it. That way.. were not left hanging..

They do this to try and keep what subs they have on the hook to stay...Like I said.. Bait and switch.

What's wrong with testing? They want to get it right and they tell us that it's almost ready. Good news.

It is funny that no matter what Devs say people will attached to it so many different meanings that it's laughable.

And yes, it would be nice to have it earlier, but it is useless to utterly complain about something that did not happened.

I find it also funny that people say it's too late for transfers... it is never too late, people will come back to check it out when they find out about it. Especially when all this hype about GW2 and TSW will get old.

Lets hope the testing will go great and we will see transfers soon.

Edited by Evensong

More bait and switch.... just like PVP ranking.. they tell ya its coming out in 1.3 and now its going to end up being pulled... Here's a strong suggestion BW... Before you open up about whats coming out.... Keep it to yourself and test it. Once you know its good to go.. Then and only then.. announce it. That way.. were not left hanging..

They do this to try and keep what subs they have on the hook to stay...Like I said.. Bait and switch.

Agreed, Could you please stop being so unspecific? We need more information and release dates. They can't just keep us in the dark about everything, with terms like "soon".

Oh, I'm sorry, wrong thread.

BioWare, you need to stop giving us dates and then missing them. If you don't know when it's coming then don't give a date. Just give us some updates on the progress and we'll be happy.

The majority of the posts I've read are complaints that the Dev team doesn't say enough about what they are doing. So they post information about what they are doing and people start complaining about how they shouldn't say anything until it is ready to release. No wonder they are hesitant about posting information, lol.

What's wrong with testing? They want to get it right and they tell us that it's almost ready. Good news.

It is funny that no matter what Devs say peolpe will attached to it so many different meanings that it's laughable.

He didn't say it's almost ready. If he said that I'd be jumping with Joy. He said Development is almost done and they still had to do extensive testing. It's really their own fault that people are hesitant to take them at face value. It would take some time to pull out all the quotes from senior Bioware execs that turned out not to come true.

Sounds like their resources are in that area of making sure the transfers work, but with something a big an issue as this I pictured people working 7 day weeks, not going home, sleeping in the office, doing all they can to save this game (and their jobs).

Charactar Transfers and server mergers are passe questions.

It has been announced they're moving to "super servers" with massive populations. So all of those cross server , server transfer server merger questions are now moot.

Not when there's nobody left playing. Who cares if it works when people leave to go to another game?! I don't know if CoH has character transfers...don't care either.

i care and i think more than 500k cares the game is still alive if you don't believe go to a standard/ heavy population server and you will see people still playing the game

It has been announced they're moving to "super servers" with massive populations. So all of those cross server , server transfer server merger questions are now moot.

If by "announce" you mean "twisting words", then yes, super servers have been announced. If not, then no, they haven't.