What exactly does "Targeted Server Transfers" Mean. My proposition.

Beakertanks

I have heard the term Targeted Server Transfers and am looking for a response from Bioware on what they mean by this exactly. I have a proposition on what I think this should mean.

By Targeted Server Transfer I propose that they create clusters of servers and all have them transfer to the same server. So take four or five low pop servers pick one to be a destination server and allow free transfers from the other three or four servers to just that server. This will accomplish two things. First it will reduce confusion for existing guilds on low pop servers. You don't have to worry about people from your guild transferring to the wrong server. Second it accomplishes Server merges in a de facto sort of way as opposed to waiting months to accomplish it de jure.

A couple of further recommendations: I know they have many many metrics in their database so using those I would like to also propose a couple of things. First do the best you can to achieve faction balance. I know there are more imps, but some servers are pretty close to 1 to 1. Second look at Republic vs Imp Warzone Win loss. Try to balance those out the best you can as well. So if you pick four servers for a cluster try to have two where the imps win most of the time matched up with two where the republic win most of the time. These are just my humble ideas, but I think this is what the community needs in order to make free character transfer a success.

Great post, I've been wondering many of the same things myself. I'm sure there is a strategy/plan since the transfer feature is apparently close to the end of development and about to enter testing (according to the dev tracker). However, it would be great to hear what the general plan is. I don't need all the specifics, but it would nice to hear in generic terms how the process will occur.

It they pick 1 for the "transfer to" server and you have 8 toons repub on 1 "transfer from server" and 8 toons emp on another "transfer from server", you would have a b-tch of a problem.

Be better to have at least 2 "transfer to" servers.

Would seem easier to have BW select 5 servers and just merge them, no player involvement.

Then everyone gets one free transfer to move if they didn't like the merge.

I agree, but merges are not technically ready yet. So I propose this to deal with the problem until that technical solution is ready.

It they pick 1 for the "transfer to" server and you have 8 toons repub on 1 "transfer from server" and 8 toons emp on another "transfer from server", you would have a b-tch of a problem.

Be better to have at least 2 "transfer to" servers.

Interesting point. Statistically this would only impact a very small precentage of the population. I still would prefer only one transfer to server.