Will my story continue?

Phill

I know the hot topic right now is 1.3..but as a PvE player, I wondering when my class story will continue? I know WoW released their first expansion three years after launch.

BW are you currently working on expansion to the story line?

It should in a expansion, not in one of these game updates. The question now is.... can they afford to do a story expansion. We just need chapter 4 for now.

Can BW afford to wait three years before the next expansion?

I know the hot topic right now is 1.3..but as a PvE player, I wondering when my class story will continue? I know WoW released their first expansion three years after launch.

BW are you currently working on expansion to the story line?

Not really.. WoW launched Nov 04 and released BC expansion Jan 07.. just a little over 2years.. which they kept to more of a 2 year cycle then 3.. Just saying.. I wouldn't expect WoW type expansions for TOR..

Can BW afford to wait three years before the next expansion?

Ooooh a double edge sword. Quite the conundrum. They can't just continue one of the class stories, they have to do all 8. That would take time and resources but if they wait over more then an year to do it then they run the risk of losing the audience who actually cares for the story.

Which is why I keep suggesting a Hard Mode and a Mentorship incentive that gives people a reason to play the story again with the same toon.

the stories are scheduled to continue in a patch I believe and not in an expansion as everyone is saying. Go over the Q&As this question was asked at some point and they said the stories are on schedule to continue in a recent patch. 1.4 or 1.5 most likely. Edited by AllanGand

Can you expand on this?

WoW has always been doing min patches here and there.. Blizzard focuses on doing major expansions in the past such as Burning Crusade where levels are increased, numerous NEW zones, dungeons and raids.. etc.. I only stayed until after the LK expansion because the end game was just an insane mind numbing gear grind with no purpose.. For TOR to have an equal expansion comparable to WoW's Burning Crusades, you would have to see a 10 level increase, maybe 3 new planets, NEW races, NEW PvP warzones, and 10+ new flashpoints, new ops.. I just don't see Bioware doing this.. I think Bioware is going to follow more of the cheaper easier Rift and STO method of patches like 1.2 and 1.3.... Especially now since they announced they laid off a 1/3rd of their staff.. Hard to do expansions with no staff

It has been rumored that Rift might do an expansion, but nothing official by Trion on that..

Edited by thominoh
forgot to edit more

If there were voice over scale backs it would be the general quest chains on worlds that everyone spacebars through. There's no way our class quests would be put on the chopping block unless things got really really bad.

Although.. I could see them possibly replacing the actors with cheaper alternatives unless there is some sort of static percentage contract in place. Solid Snake, Nathan Drake, and Lacey Chabert, among other pretty big draws, might not be able to continue on if they require too big of paychecks. Although the big BW names like Jennifer Hale are probably under a bigger umbrella contract.

It will be interesting to see where we are in 5 years.

I wouldnt mind more levels but.... If levels increase you make the current content obsolete. So what would happen is 4 max level 60s would take 4 level 50s through EV KP and denova hard modes essentially making the gear trivial...

If there were voice over scale backs it would be the general quest chains on worlds that everyone spacebars through. There's no way our class quests would be put on the chopping block unless things got really really bad.

Although.. I could see them possibly replacing the actors with cheaper alternatives unless there is some sort of static percentage contract in place. Solid Snake, Nathan Drake, and Lacey Chabert, among other pretty big draws, might not be able to continue on if they require too big of paychecks. Although the big BW names like Jennifer Hale are probably under a bigger umbrella contract.

Depends on what they were paying their Voice Actors... Voice actors typically pull in around 47k per year salary. Break that up into requiring them for just a few weeks to add a bunch more Voice content, assume 4 weeks, that's about 4k per actor. Now that's just the average number, some of the well known voices might pull in a bit more.

I think Bioware is going to follow more of the cheaper easier Rift and STO method of patches like 1.2 and 1.3.... Especially now since they announced they laid off a 1/3rd of their staff.. Hard to do expansions with no staff

To be fair, companies often hire extra staff to work on paid expansions. They expect a significant amount of revenue from box sales so they can push the team size back up to full development levels for a few months to prepare the expansion, then scale it back down to maintenance levels once the expansion is out.

I have no doubt for a while that the devs are completely living in a world that has no immediete connections to the reality that their game is facing. 4 months of bleeding subs and they say the number 1 reason people are leaving (empty servers) is still not their priority in upcoming updates?

But it is inetersting to see how much disconnected some of the playerbase is as well. BW says they need 500k subs to stay alive. If you think they will have this in august once the 6months (+30 free days) are up you are living in a dream world. Without those subs, there is no money, skeletal crew and small (not large) projects. In this economy? WIth people leaving before any large titles are even launched (Tera is not large and never will be)? Servers are not empty because peopleare are waiting for next chapter. They are empty because there is roughly 25k or so players logging few times a week, to cybor a little, poke crafting and log out to play something else.

No. There will not be next chapter. And BW bares the sole responsibility for it. EA will nuke this title by august where the real numbers come up. Business doesn't care about next chapter.

It would be hilarious if budget cuts led to them using extra low cost voice actors.

"Chap 4 class quests will be voiced by legends such as Eric Estrada, Alan Thicke, and Antoine Dodson"

I have no doubt for a while that the devs are completely living in a world that has no immediete connections to the reality that their game is facing. 4 months of bleeding subs and they say the number 1 reason people are leaving (empty servers) is still not their priority in upcoming updates?

But it is inetersting to see how much disconnected some of the playerbase is as well. BW says they need 500k subs to stay alive. If you think they will have this in august once the 6months (+30 free days) are up you are living in a dream world. Without those subs, there is no money, skeletal crew and small (not large) projects. In this economy? WIth people leaving before any large titles are even launched (Tera is not large and never will be)? Servers are not empty because peopleare are waiting for next chapter. They are empty because there is roughly 25k or so players logging few times a week, to cybor a little, poke crafting and log out to play something else.

No. There will not be next chapter. And BW bares the sole responsibility for it. EA will nuke this title by august where the real numbers come up. Business doesn't care about next chapter.

You 'have no doubt' you know how other people are working? You know definitively why people choose to leave? People can't afford £8 a month because of the economy? This game will have less than 500k subs and if I don't believe that, i'm living in a dream world? No, there will not be a next chapter?

Blimey. You certainly seem to know everyone and their motives. You can also see into the future? I think that is is you who are living in a dream world. Well, a world that revolves around you, certainly.

Edited by Tentacles

Scratch that. Somewhere around December those who ever purchased the game will get emails from BW. The 2 scatch artist they the company could afford will draw cartoon strips of the next chapter. Voice over in bubbles (finally chat bubbles!).

The well scatched story will heat up your entusiasm to come back to the game and resub. Which you will do as a SW/Kotor hard dying fan. Once you resub in less than a week you will accomplish everything that the game gave to offer for last 6 moths and find yourself again in a fleet sourrounded by total strangers who are interested in experiencing their main/alts story line - alone:)

At least the cartoon chapter will be fun thou...

I just want to know how they plan to retain all the voice actors they hired. Could my characters' voices change at some point in the future?

Ohlen was interviewed in January by rockpapershotgun. In this he told them:

"And they’re already working on updates we won’t see until next year, with the story written out. Ohlen didn’t want to reveal how many are currently planned, but he let slip they’re already working on the fifth. The voiceover work is already being recorded for next year’s content"

You 'have no doubt' you know how other people are working? You know definitively why people choose to leave? People can't afford £8 a month because of the economy? This game will have less than 500k subs and if I don't believe that, i'm living in a dream world? No, there will not be a next chapter?

Blimey. You certainly seem to know everyone and their motives. You can also see into the future? I think that is is you who are living in a dream world. Well, a world that revolves around you, certainly.

You don't need the crystal ball to see things coming mate. Servers are not empty because of lack of transfers. Serves are empty because that is the cyclle of any single player game. You live your story line, end the game and.. move to antoher. So, most of people are doing right now. This is not a MMO and it will never be unless major changes are done to it. Taking under consideration the fact that BW knows very well how my subs will they lose in a month or so (simply by looking at how many people are actually playing of those who are still subbed) - hence the proceeding layoffs - the outlook of next chapter ever coming to life is gloomy.

Don't forget this is the loudest and up to date most expensive title in mmo market ever. You think after dumping 200 mln$ and tank divig the sub number to that extend that it did in less than 6 moths BW will get more linent money for faboulus expension? My logic maybe bitter, but without those 500k subs a month you can forget about anything but fluffy patches.

And pandas:)

"And they’re already working on updates we won’t see until next year, with the story written out. Ohlen didn’t want to reveal how many are currently planned, but he let slip they’re already working on the fifth. The voiceover work is already being recorded for next year’s content"

That's great for next year, but what about 5 and 10 years from then?

Edited by Nyghtfal

Ooooh a double edge sword. Quite the conundrum. They can't just continue one of the class stories, they have to do all 8. That would take time and resources but if they wait over more then an year to do it then they run the risk of losing the audience who actually cares for the story.

Which is why I keep suggesting a Hard Mode and a Mentorship incentive that gives people a reason to play the story again with the same toon.

This is a really good idea.I hope they read this. That would be fun and I have enjoyed my toon's class story a lot.