Sabotage PvE: Why should you play it?

axka

Hey guys :)

So far I've stuck with either DF or SS when it comes to PvE, but I am curious about the Sabotage tree. I know it's use for PvP, but what I want to know is how viable it is for PvE.

DF is great for fights involving alot of movement, and SS is by far the best dps spec I've seen in the game so far, but why should I try sabotage for Flashpoints and Operations?`

My hunch says it's most fit for 16m Ops because in a 4m or 8m the overall dps would be in my experience too low, but I may be wrong..that's why I'm asking :)

If you play Sabotage for PvE could you post your build please + if you have any good rotation or tips + tricks feel free to share them :)

Honestly I don't think I have put much effort into mastering a pure Sabotage spec. I guess it is about time I did, need to help a friend, who is also a GS, improve his damage for raiding.

I would start here http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/Thread-Engineering-Sniper-Saboteur-Gunslinger-Compendium been reading this to brush up on the basics of Sabotage.

I play sab spec for both pvp and pve and I usually do not alter my spec. I have completed nightmare mode ev and the first boss in ev story mode, my guild is more casual when it comes to raiding. I have also done lost island hm. You can see my spec at http://www.twitch.tv/doctorwhorrible. The 31 points I keep in the sab tree always stay the same, while I move around the other points often. I really love all of our talents so I can never settle on which spec I like best. At the moment I am actually running with ballistic dampers instead of the dirty kick speed boost.

I feel that sab provides a lot more dps on the move than SS. I love hot pursuit because I can spam quick shot on the move for free, and any time I need to be in a regen mode for energy I can hop out of cover and hit four quick shots for free, then go back to my rotation. Keep shock charge and vital shot on the boss the whole time along with incendiary grenade unless the boss is constantly moving. Use aimed shot when it's up even though it has a long cast time, spamming charged burst will get you out of energy pretty fast. Use sab charge every time its up, use speed shot every time it is up. Use sabotage as often as you can, but make sure that both your defense screen and cool head are on cooldown when you do as it will reset the cooldown on both of these abilities. And don't forget about luck and illegal mods.

While I don't really have a set rotation my fight looks a little like this.

Shock charge, vital shot, sab charge, speedshot, surrender, illegal mods, aimed shot, luck, charged burst, incendiary grenade, reapply dots as needed, use cool head when I have two or three bubbles of energy left, use sabotage to bring cool head off of cool down, then I just watch my cool downs and use abilities as they come off generally in the same order of priority as above. If cool head is down and I have two bubbles of energy I do four quick shots out of cover for free. I also use quick shots any time I need to move in a fight, although sometimes as I move I will be reapplying dots or using sab charge or sabotage depending on my energy and if I need to reapply those. If there are adds in the boss fight (that you are allowed to aoe) I save my incendiary greanade for them and throw thermal grenades on them, use sweeping gunfire sparingly as it costs the most energy.

Use defense screen often, but if you know there is a time when you will be taking more damage use it then, surrender often to keep agro off you. Sorry if this is a bit long winded. I hope this is helpful.

Edited by Renita

Since I change my spec often I will actually give you two specs that I have had a lot of success in pve with:

I use the following spec when I do not want to respec daily as it is what I feel the most effective crossover spec between pvp and pve

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700bcMZrI0bRRrorsZh.1

If you are not going to pvp at all you could change your spec slightly

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700bZrI0bRorRrsZG0bz.1

but I actually found that ballistic dampers was extremely helpful on the first boss in ec, because it lowers the amount of damage you are taking, making it a little easier on your healers. Also you may find you need the points in accuracy depending on how you have itemized your gear. Taking 3% accuracy from talents means you can replace accuracy for power or surge on your gear depending on which you need more of. I also like to have higher accuracy because it increases the chance my offhand will hit, and although my offhand only hits for about 100, it adds up when it procs more often. Therefore I usually just stick with the first spec.

Thanks for your help guys! :)

I'm up in about 1,1-1,2k dps now still it's nowhere near my 1,6-1,7k SS but I notice alot of usefull skills like the less Scrambling Field cd. Do you think these support abilities like AoE and Defensive cd weigh up for the lower dps? Regardless I find it as a very enjoyable spec :)

Thanks alot :)

Is this dps based on actual fights or target dummies? Because I always feel like I can do more dps on the move in sab spec than in SS, but I know DF can do even more dps than sab on the move. All in all, it's just a matter of what you enjoy the most.

Messured it on the the Ops training dummy, but I'm trying out Sab for our next Denova run so I'll report back then :)

Do you normally do 1.6k/1.7k on bosses or target dummy with SS spec? Just out of curiousity, what is your gear like?