Levelling spec: Madness or Lightning?

defendurname

Madness matures earlier. Thundering blast is more of a game changer for the lightning spec than Creeping Terror is for madness, but it will be a while before you get it.

Probably smartest to play madness at least until you have enough skill points for TB/CT. At that point, either is viable for pve and you can respec to lightning if you wish.

I highly advise Madness for levelling for simple reasons:

- Lightning fails to overwhelm before level 40, when you're able to talent Thundering Blast. Arguably earlier, when you get Chain Lightning, but it's too proc dependant for my liking when fighting trash.

- Madness on the other hand, you can talent Madness (losing cooldown on Force Lightning) and that's when the spec starts getting interesting. You also get Death Field and Wrath early on, which is a fairly large DPS increase over Lightning at that point.

- Death Field is an awesome AOE while levelling. Just up to the group of four mobs, pop Death Field and bam, you just hit all the mobs for a good chuck of damage, *instantly*. This is especially viable if you overlevel your content.

- If you do any PvP at all, Madness has an advantage over Lightning since as soon as you get Wrath, all your abilities outside Force Lightning are instant, which is rather important in PvP. While in 10-49 you can get away with using hardcast abilities, why not just take advantage of being able to instacast your stuff.

The downsides of using Madness are, imo, that it's easier (and thus less fun) to play than Lightning, and that Lightning arguably looks cooler. :p

I levelled as lightning but switched to 1/12/28 madness at 50 because in PvP, lightning doesn't cut it against skilled players. (as an aside, even though it's way cooler, I'd never go back unless Thundering Blast was made instant cast and hit harder, previous poster is right, madness is way more mobile at the moment which means you're not prone to all the interupts or standing still for the long cast times...)

PvE? It doesn't matter, sorcs are incredibly strong anyway in PvE.

Personally, if PvP is an aim for you, I'd get used to the spec you're probably going to end up playing, so I too would say madness.

Edited by Chemic_al