not running under savrak for smash

i know the standard method for dealing with savrak smash is everyone runs underneath him, but ive noticed that one can pretty consistently simply have your back to a pillar and you wont go over, just bump your head. few times ive tried having myself (heals) and ranged dds do this, but insofar haven't been able to avoid going over through a whole fight. im disinclined to think its simply random, but not entirely sure how we can reliably use this method.

my only hypothesis is that, like with the stacking method, trajectory is based on relative position to savrak, and so if he isnt centered when he smashes, the angle would be wrong for hitting the panel/pillar straight on.

curious if anyone has had success with this approach

We've done this once or twice by mistake. There is also a very specific angle where you can get thrown into the pipe along the left side, and thence back down onto the platform. I'm not sure I would consider it a particularly reliable strategy though.

The only reason you would benefit from this strategy is if you were using ranged DPS and a healer with no appreciable AoE (e.g. commando/mercenary). If you have a healer with an AoE, then stacking is flat-out mandatory, otherwise they have no way to catch up on energy after the burn phase. Even with those caveats, it seems dubious. It's a very risky plan, since a small misalignment results in insta-death.

This used to be one way to do Bonethrasher when stacking all ranged, and it sort of makes sense in that case. Still tricky, but not quite as problematic as no AoE heals are required on that fight if everyone is spread out.