Sage/Shadow Companions

Luminous_Being

I have been debating and debating whether to have my Consular be a melee DPS Shadow or a Sage - here is one question I have, it seems like as a Sage Qyzen would be quite good to have a long and while I enjoy his whole Scorekeeper thing I am getting a little tired of all the communication being grunts and rasps. So - as a Sage are there more interesting companions I will get to run with or will that lead to death and destruction?

I wasn't fond of Qyzen either, and my Sage ditched him asap. I'm sure he is a useful companion, but I think you can use other ones just fine! :)

Tharan -- I was spec'd DPS and he worked great. He could be useable by a healer too; you will be well-nigh unkillable, but old age may be more of a factor in mob deaths than your attacks. xD I found him initially off-putting but he is a rather endearing character once you "get to know him" in his story quests. I see a lot of Shadows and DPS Sages with him.

Zenith -- I respec'd to healing and used him from when I got him on Balmorra up to level 50. My go-to companion. I always kept his gear as good as my own though; since I use him just like I would a 'tank" for elites, he needs to be able to take some hits. It took me awhile to warm up to his personality as he is rather serious, but playing pure light side I had no problem getting affection with him.

Nadia is another viable DPS, though she comes quite late in the game. I only used her briefly as I prefer a ranged companion, but that is a matter of taste and she seems very popular. She's a sweetie pie and has a rather unique look.

I have no idea about Iresso but if you want a not-Qyzen tank then he'd probably be great. I couldn't be bothered to gear him up when I got him, so he was like tissue compared to Zenith when I tried him out.

Edited by Gwena

I used Qzeen until i got Theran, then leveled to 50 with Theran. (Note: I am a dps sage, and I only do PvE).

However, I started playing around with Nadia and now that she is well geared (orange modable armor with purple mods i am getting as rewards for the dailies), I use her exclusively to run the dailies on Belsavis, Ilum, and Corelia. Well geared, Nadia is great and the perfect companion to run the dailies with.

In all honesty, I think all the companions if well geared, do just fine. Everyone seems to have their own preferences.

In the end.....you are stuck with Qzeen for a while, but more interesting companions do indeed come along.

I have a guildie who plays a sage healer and runs with Qyzen almost exclusively. I, on the other hand, have a shadow and play with both Tharan and Nadia. Remember that if you play a shadow, you might as well use Nadia, because she's also a shadow and can take your hand-me-down gear.

I'm a shadow tank, used Theran exclusively until I got Nadia and switched to her. She melts through mobs and I'll use her without hesitation for heroic 4 quests if another dps isn't immediately available. Personality wise, Theran is annoying and hard to please as a light jedi, and Nadia is cute and ridiculously easy to max affection.

If I'm trying to solo group dailies i will plug Theran back in though, cuz honestly, playing with him is easy mode while playing with Nadia is more fun.

Thank you everyone - good to know. Qyzen is funny but between him and Khelm on my Inquisitor I don't know how long I can be interested in hearing burbling all day.

I think I will take the plunge and make him Shadow - at worst I'll just have to start over right?

Thank you everyone - good to know. Qyzen is funny but between him and Khelm on my Inquisitor I don't know how long I can be interested in hearing burbling all day.

I think I will take the plunge and make him Shadow - at worst I'll just have to start over right?

Agreed with what most people have already said. Just to warn you though that you don't get Nadia as a companion until waaaay late in the game. Actually, out of the 4 republic classes I've taken to end game I think Nadia is the latest companion out of all the classes as far as getting to use. Usually 42-46 range depending on how fast you do your class story compared to other junk like pvp/space missions/side missions etc. You see her way earlier then that but bioware just taunts you with her for a while.