Merc Pyro vs Powertech Pyro

ForceSeeker

I think another good example of PT vs Merc that people over look is rocket punch. That is an extra instant cast ability that can do some serious damage on a crit. This really helps their burst.

Merc can line up a IM, TD, power shot, railshot, unload, railshot you can do some good burst.

A PT, however, can line up an IM, TD, railshot, flameburst to proc PPS, railshot, followed by a rocket punch.

That's a substantial difference because you get:

1 - A guaranteed CGC proc on top of it

2 - A rocket punch at the end because you're usually in melee range

3 - Railshots ignore 100% armor, I believe, so they hit a for a good deal more

This adds up to a lot more burst potential.

Furthermore, the consistent use of rocket punch add up as an extra instant cast ability that we rarely get take advantage of cause we're ranged.

Edit: Before you flame you, I don't want to be melee. I enjoy playing ranged. I do not envy having to be in melee range. Also, I don't play a PT, so this is my understanding of what I believe to be a substantial difference. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Rocket punch is on a very short cooldown and being able to use is freely is pretty substantial.

Edited by crrypto

I'm surprised(I shouldn't be) how unhelpful the replies above are.

If you're interested in Pyrotech as the tree you want to spec in I recommend Powertech.

The reason being is Powertech's talents work better for Pyrotech. Yes, the Pyrotech tree is shared, but there are difference between the two along with other talents Powertech can get in its other trees that makes it superior.

One example of this would be Powertechs having a 100% chance to proc Combustible Gas Cylinder, thus allowing the use of railshot whenever it's up.

If you want to closely examine the difference I suggest pulling up both the Mercenary and Powertech skill trees on torhead.

yet you said the same thing I did, I just didn't list reasons because anyone with eyes can look at the 2 classes and figure out why powertech is better for pyro.