Third faction or let us switch side

pellib

iv talked about switching sides if u choose after 50 so i agree with you. but bio will never allow that

Just to comment on some things being said... alot has been suggested for the switching of sides as well as another faction.

as far as lore goes sides are switched all the time, sith turn to the lightside, jedi's fall from grace, criminal smugglers become generals of the republic etc... they could implement a system that once you hit 50 and complete class quest you can choose to be a "defector" starting a whole new story line for switching sides...

as far as another faction you have the underground faction such as the hutt cartel, you could have a nuetral faction, mandolorian faction etc.... none would disrupt lore.... not sure about gameplay though

I like the idea of switching sides though, the potential for a story is huge....

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about no.

How about, "since when does a bounty hunter work exclusively for the Empire"?

Man this suggestions is ages old and I saw it a thousand times.

YES, we need three factions, STAR WARS has three factions, but we will never get three factions, because.. BECAUSE!

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

I'm getting tired of every game wanting to do 'factions'. All it does is split server community in half, making people feel like their servers are empty since they only encounter the other half in a pvp environment. (aka: 200 people on, you only interact with 100 of those).

Three factions would split a pop of 210 to 70 for each faction, making it look even more deserted.

That said, swtor inherently has 3 factions: Republic, Empire, The Hutt Cartel (name?). But you can pretty much say that the cartel is a party tahts playing both sides.

if you have more subs would not be a prob some people i know will not play cuz things are so messed up they want the option to play a republic bh or empire smuggler not stcuk playing a republic trooper or imp agent.

if smuggler an bh are neutral they can join what ever group they chhose so its not spliting anything,

playing both sides is what smugglers an bh's do as far as gamers people will still have there other characters if they so choose to log onto the server. if they scaled back how meny servers they had an merged some to make for a higher pop would not be a issue but having 50 more servers, split things more then this would everyone is running to jedi cov an fat man cuz they have heavy and very heavy pop at peak hours when other servers at peak havelike 30

I'm getting tired of every game wanting to do 'factions'. All it does is split server community in half, making people feel like their servers are empty since they only encounter the other half in a pvp environment. (aka: 200 people on, you only interact with 100 of those).

Three factions would split a pop of 210 to 70 for each faction, making it look even more deserted.

That said, swtor inherently has 3 factions: Republic, Empire, The Hutt Cartel (name?). But you can pretty much say that the cartel is a party tahts playing both sides.

Edited by jimmyjediknight

I don't think a third faction is necessary.

However, I think it would be nice to have some options. Such as Bounty Hunters and Smugglers being able to choose to work for either the Republic or the Empire, not just one. Of course, whichever side you choose at character creation is the side you work for, but you should be able to have the option to pick one or the other.

Also, Light Side Sith and Dark Side Jedi should be able to switch sides once they reach, say, Light/Dark IV or V. Of course, once the switch is made, they won't be able to go back even if they reverse course on L/D points, otherwise people would simply switch back and forth whenever they felt the opposing side had a greater advantage. Now, they would not HAVE to choose to switch sides and could always remain with their original faction, but the option to do so should be made available to them if the right conditions are met.

It would make for far more interesting gameplay if you knew that someone you teamed up with last week might show up again as your enemy next week.

Edited by Roshe

• 4 weeks later...
they just should have never had "factions." if you take out the factions, keeping the stories the way they are but just make it so you could visit any planet, not only would there be more people to interact with, but the whole light side/dark side thing could actually mean something other than grabbing gear. Being light or dark could determine who u play with in pvp for example, or they could have made light side/ dark side change ur story... for example: lets say u start as a sith inquisitor, u still begin ur story on korriban, and then dromund kaas but if u decide to make light side choices, planets like tython become available to you. they cant do this now, its too late, but it would have been a much more flexible story if the player was allowed to determine his so called "faction" from the choices he made, and not be stuck wanting to play an SIS Agent but cant, or whatever.

How about, "since when does a bounty hunter work exclusively for the Empire"?

Man this suggestions is ages old and I saw it a thousand times.

YES, we need three factions, STAR WARS has three factions, but we will never get three factions, because.. BECAUSE!

Since bounty hunters get paid by the Empire? If you have the money, you could hire someone full time as long as the price is right.

From a story point, for certain classes anyway, it doesn't really make much sense to swap sides. Lets take the Trooper story for example.

You spend your entire career fighting the Empire, from stopping rakghoul soldiers being made on Taris , to Imperials testing out bombs on civilians on Tatooine. Later you destroy an imperial super weapon and almost single handily win the battle of Corellia and capture or kill the empires greatest general.

Hell, you even spend the first half of the story hunting down a squad of defectors anyway, so it just seems stupid going "Oh i just spent lots of time hunting down some traitors, i guess im gonna betray the republic too!"

they just should have never had "factions." if you take out the factions, keeping the stories the way they are but just make it so you could visit any planet, not only would there be more people to interact with, but the whole light side/dark side thing could actually mean something other than grabbing gear. Being light or dark could determine who u play with in pvp for example, or they could have made light side/ dark side change ur story... for example: lets say u start as a sith inquisitor, u still begin ur story on korriban, and then dromund kaas but if u decide to make light side choices, planets like tython become available to you. they cant do this now, its too late, but it would have been a much more flexible story if the player was allowed to determine his so called "faction" from the choices he made, and not be stuck wanting to play an SIS Agent but cant, or whatever.

I've always thought this was their biggest mistake. Imagine the Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior as one class and the whole questline is between your jedi master and a sith that is trying to recruit you. Or a double agent working for both the SIS and Imperial Intelligence. In the end you'd end up dark/light or empire/republic based on your choices. If you want to change it you need to do dailies to improve your rep until you switched. If you are the type that thinks it is an abomination that Republic and Empire players could fight alongside one another then form/join an RP guild that forces a faction as a prereq to membership.

It not only that eliminates issues with the legacy system, it immediately balances pvp, fixes issues with guild communication a over faction, and essentially doubles available players on every server.

It's too late but it's nice to dream.

They can always add the Yuuzhan Vong as a third faction

I guess their storyline would involve hanging around their faction fleet HQ while they floated through the featureless depths of intergalactic space, waiting thousands of years to reach the rest of the game. You can play that now, actually - just log in to the server selection screen and take a nap.

Edited by Lodril

I guess their storyline would involve hanging around their faction fleet HQ while they floated through the featureless depths of intergalactic space, waiting thousands of years to reach the rest of the game. You can play that now, actually - just log in to the server selection screen and take a nap.

well according to their lore they had a huge amount of infighting and civil war while they floated in intergalactic space... so while the Vong faction could never talk to or fight any other faction in game they could PVP kill each other... lol

I've always thought this was their biggest mistake. Imagine the Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior as one class and the whole questline is between your jedi master and a sith that is trying to recruit you. Or a double agent working for both the SIS and Imperial Intelligence. In the end you'd end up dark/light or empire/republic based on your choices. If you want to change it you need to do dailies to improve your rep until you switched. If you are the type that thinks it is an abomination that Republic and Empire players could fight alongside one another then form/join an RP guild that forces a faction as a prereq to membership.

It not only that eliminates issues with the legacy system, it immediately balances pvp, fixes issues with guild communication a over faction, and essentially doubles available players on every server.

It's too late but it's nice to dream.

or they couldve remedied the enitre empire/republic thing by going way way way back in star wars lore to when the jedi first split up into dark jedi and jedi or whatever. then there only is ONE faction, and u make ur choices on where u want ur story to go. maybe someday.... but i have to admit, i still like swtor, it has flaws, but every game does, still waiting to see what bioware does to fix things.

From a story point, for certain classes anyway, it doesn't really make much sense to swap sides. Lets take the Trooper story for example.

You spend your entire career fighting the Empire, from stopping rakghoul soldiers being made on Taris , to Imperials testing out bombs on civilians on Tatooine. Later you destroy an imperial super weapon and almost single handily win the battle of Corellia and capture or kill the empires greatest general.

Hell, you even spend the first half of the story hunting down a squad of defectors anyway, so it just seems stupid going "Oh i just spent lots of time hunting down some traitors, i guess im gonna betray the republic too!"

i agree, switching sides now would make the class stories redundant unless they really had some good reasoning in the new story that they would inevitably have to add. Say for the trooper, maybe the republic does something that is against ur beliefs? forces u to question their motives. Kind of like an order 66 thing, in which u had to decide to leave the republic behind for what it has become, or stay loyal to it through and through. the new stories would have to really show a weakness or a change in the faction to cause someone to leave for stories involving a trooper or imperial agent.

i agree, switching sides now would make the class stories redundant unless they really had some good reasoning in the new story that they would inevitably have to add. Say for the trooper, maybe the republic does something that is against ur beliefs? forces u to question their motives. Kind of like an order 66 thing, in which u had to decide to leave the republic behind for what it has become, or stay loyal to it through and through. the new stories would have to really show a weakness or a change in the faction to cause someone to leave for stories involving a trooper or imperial agent.

Not that I've finished the story yet but if you go full light side IA do you not defect to the Republic at the end of your class story? This is just what I have heard

Edited by mothear

Don't know, I have no idea of the lore.

Stopped reading the thread here. BW has already watered down the lore enough....for example, getting rid of light side, dark side restrictions on crystals because enough people cried about it. The last thing BW needs to do is take more suggestions from people who have no idea about the Star Wars universe.

Stopped reading the thread here. BW has already watered down the lore enough....for example, getting rid of light side, dark side restrictions on crystals because enough people cried about it. The last thing BW needs to do is take more suggestions from people who have no idea about the Star Wars universe.

Um, crystals were never restricted in lore to begin with.

seeing as they are making the Hutts a major faction in upcoming patches they could do the Hutts as a third playable faction.

Now of course i don't mean being to be able to play as a hutt, I mean just work for them.

You could have classes like Hitman, Hunter, Elite Guard, assasin droid, and so on.

Of course they would need their own set of planets to level up on but other then that you wouldn't need to change anything else. You could keep the current warzones 8v8 and just have it possible to be Hutts vs Imps, Hutts vs Rep, or Rep vs Imps. Then add one or two 8v8v8 warzone. Of course you would have to add some big open world pvp thing but yeah it's more then possible.

seeing as they are making the Hutts a major faction in upcoming patches they could do the Hutts as a third playable faction.

Now of course i don't mean being to be able to play as a hutt, I mean just work for them.

You could have classes like Hitman, Hunter, Elite Guard, assasin droid, and so on.

Of course they would need their own set of planets to level up on but other then that you wouldn't need to change anything else. You could keep the current warzones 8v8 and just have it possible to be Hutts vs Imps, Hutts vs Rep, or Rep vs Imps. Then add one or two 8v8v8 warzone. Of course you would have to add some big open world pvp thing but yeah it's more then possible.

It would be great if they brought in the Hutt Cartel as the third faction and they should switch smugglers and bounty hunters over to that faction and they can work for the highest bidder/side. They could balance the loss to imps by giving imps trooper mirror and rep side by giving them agents mirror. And I wish they would turn slicing into Slicer as a class for Hutt Cartel that uses pets in combat not companions but pets like droids they slice and command to fight for them.