Daniel Erickson thinks X-Server LFG is last resort

tkinnunzero

Cross server is needed more then anything for Off peak hours players, which is 70%-80% of the player base. Maybe not needed as much for a very heavy server in the peak times.

Ok, that's a real head-scratcher. 70-80% of the player base plays at off-peak times? Wouldn't the time that 70-80% are playing be the peak time? Help me out here.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im posting here because i dont want to see this game die, unlike the anti cross server people i dont feel the need to force people to play the game the way i think they should play it even if it means hundreds of thousands of people leave the game.

Hypocritical much?

Cross server is needed more then anything for Off peak hours players, which is 70%-80% of the player base. Maybe not needed as much for a very heavy server in the peak times.

I'm confused. If 70-80% of people play during off-peak hours wouldn't that make it peak time?

*edit* Someone beat to this response. Glad I am not the only one that didn't understand the logic.

Edited by Lugosi

I play at off peak times myself. You are definitely limited I agree. On the other hand, if you queue on your server you can develop friendships with those who play at similar times. All of a sudden you have a community.

I'm confused. If 70-80% of people play during off-peak hours wouldn't that make it peak time?

*edit* Someone beat to this response. Glad I am not the only one that didn't understand the logic.

Ok, that's a real head-scratcher. 70-80% of the player base plays at off-peak times? Wouldn't the time that 70-80% are playing be the peak time? Help me out here.

You get 20-30% playing during the same 3-4 hours of time, as compared to 70-80% playing at different times in the other 20-21 hours of the day. That 70-80% is spread out over a 20 hour day, as compared to the 25% in the same 3-4 hour period.

Peak times are when you have the biggest concentration of people in a certain time frame, not when the vast majority of the players actually playing.

More name calling with assumptions that your argument is correct because you say it is. You argue like a liberal - lump people together and call them names to refute their points. :-)

I agree that I don't want the game to die. Give the transfers a chance with a server specific queue.

These developers do nothing for far too long then blame their metrics after they overreact. For once I will support them with a plea for patience. Give us time to create communities before using the nuclear option please.

Show me where there is "more" name calling? i explained to you why i think the people who ranted and raved in the beta forums and the live forums against things that would help this game are idiots. I was just answering you. And yes i lumped them together, BECAUSE THEY LUMPED THEMSELVES TOGETHER.

I never said dont give same server lfg a chance, ive always said that same server is a proven failure, but i dont have a problem with them trying it. I do have a problem with them letting this game die while they took 6 months to decide if they want an lfg tool or not. And i will have a problem if they take another 6 months to finaly realize they need cross server and the game dies.

And again witht he same old "communities" speach. MMOS have communites, theyre called guilds. Mmos started losing server communites when guilds large enough to do all the content in the game themselves came into the picture. then single player content took even more away from them, all while mmos attracted a more and more diverse player base full of jerks.

There are no "server" communities left in mmos. And the only way there would be any is to limit solo content and guild sizes. Cross server lfg tools do not do anything to a community, if someone from another server is in your fp group and hes an a-hole, that does not effect your server community. If someone ninja loots and he is on your own server you just get trolled in chat if you point it out.

Show me where there is "more" name calling? i explained to you why i think the people who ranted and raved in the beta forums and the live forums against things that would help this game are idiots. I was just answering you. And yes i lumped them together, BECAUSE THEY LUMPED THEMSELVES TOGETHER.

I never said dont give same server lfg a chance, ive always said that same server is a proven failure, but i dont have a problem with them trying it. I do have a problem with them letting this game die while they took 6 months to decide if they want an lfg tool or not. And i will have a problem if they take another 6 months to finaly realize they need cross server and the game dies.

And again witht he same old "communities" speach. MMOS have communites, theyre called guilds. Mmos started losing server communites when guilds large enough to do all the content in the game themselves came into the picture. then single player content took even more away from them, all while mmos attracted a more and more diverse player base full of jerks.

There are no "server" communities left in mmos. And the only way there would be any is to limit solo content and guild sizes. Cross server lfg tools do not do anything to a community, if someone from another server is in your fp group and hes an a-hole, that does not effect your server community. If someone ninja loots and he is on your own server you just get trolled in chat if you point it out.

Also this. I have never trusted anybody who put in general chat about a ninja looter, and the people who do were always trolled.

This game started dying when the devs pulled their bait and switch on ranked WZs with 1.2. The LFG tool won't change that.

Guilds are critical I agree. BW clearly does as well since they allowed guild creation pre launch.

There are no server communities for several reasons: too many servers (being addressed); too little and too simple content (God help us there I guess); and my personal opinion the largest issue - generational differences in players.

No right or wrong on the last point, but I observe younger gamers don't have the patience for MMOs and want to click three times and get their reward (gear). Not all of you I'm sure, but with all the instant gratification in the world today I can't blame you.

For those folks I suppose the cross server queue meets their needs perfectly.

How about a queue that let's the user pick a) my server or b) all servers?

More name calling with assumptions that your argument is correct because you say it is. You argue like a liberal - lump people together and call them names to refute their points. :-)

Liberals vs idiots... sounds interesting:D

*grabbing some popcorn*

Too many minorities in this water park!

I love how suddenly its gone from ... "the lfg tool never works" to ... "well, I mean during off peak hours!" now that its so easy to get groups in the destination servers without the same server tool not even being released yet.

Edited by MasterKayote

This game started dying when the devs pulled their bait and switch on ranked WZs with 1.2. The LFG tool won't change that.

Guilds are critical I agree. BW clearly does as well since they allowed guild creation pre launch.

There are no server communities for several reasons: too many servers (being addressed); too little and too simple content (God help us there I guess); and my personal opinion the largest issue - generational differences in players.

No right or wrong on the last point, but I observe younger gamers don't have the patience for MMOs and want to click three times and get their reward (gear). Not all of you I'm sure, but with all the instant gratification in the world today I can't blame you.

For those folks I suppose the cross server queue meets their needs perfectly.

How about a queue that let's the user pick a) my server or b) all servers?

I didnt say that guilds were critical. I said two things about guilds, #1 the only real community that exists in any mmo anymore is a community within a guild.

#2 Large guilds were the first step to destroying mmo server communities and that happeend way back in eq1 . My eq1 server had many small guilds with 10-40 people in them. Raids took 40-60 people so we created a guild council to make groups from all of the raid capable guilds. That made a true "server community" that really hasnt existed since. I remember a year after we merged guidls to make a Totaly self sufficient "uber guild" as they were called, i was leveling an alt when i realized i really didnt know anyone on my server anymore that wasnt in my guild.

I just dont believe that a cross server lfg tool will have any effect what so ever on a servers community, i have not seen one example to support the theory that they ruin server communities that cannot be simply explained by the fact that mmos have a more diverse player base now and that player base has a very high percenttage of a-holes.

The evidence it quite obvious, even back in vanilla wow before the big mmo boom started you could call out people and black list them and it worked very well. That just doesnt work anymore because all the a-holes will just attack you, just go spend 15 minutes reading one of the full servers fleet general chat, then come back here and tell me its possible to form a strong server community with such a high majority of those animals on your server.

And yes a toggle for cross server/same server lfg tool i would be fine with. I dont care what they have to do, the point is there is nothing more important than getting people groups in a resonable amount of time so they dont log off frustrated and eventualy unsub.

Edited by Mallorik

Too many minorities in this water park!

I love how suddenly its gone from ... "the lfg tool never works" to ... "well, I mean during off peak hours!" now that its so easy to get groups in the destination servers without the same server tool not even being released yet.

That has always been the point, an lfg tool has to work within a certain range most of the time. If you can get groups within 20 minutes for 3 hours a day and it takes you 2 hours to get a group any other time of the day it has failed and the game will lose subs. Its not rocket science.

My experience in WoW with the cross server was the same exact I got prior to the cross server, only difference is I got to run 5 instances in a day instead of the 1. Both way have been generally good experiences.

I would agree with this except to say that both ways were generally poor experiences, but that doesn't mean I don't like LFG tools. Bad groups are better than no groups. Especially when you're an over geared tank who can carry a group on his back. Plus, bad groups are good for the lulz.

Edited by mjmcooke