Do you support an in game version of Recount. Please give reasons for your answer.

Israel

Just to be clear, this thread is advocating an in-game Bioware built tool and not a third-party addon.

Recount is not just a "damage meter"... it is a graphical interface which allows you to view group activity in the combat log i.e. Damage Done over the duration of the fight by each player, Friendly Fire, Damage Taken, Healing Done, Absorbs, Healing Taken, Overhealing Done, Deaths, DOT Uptime, HOT Uptime, Player Combat Activity, Dispels, The Dispelled, Interrupts, Ressers, CC Breakers, Resources Gained, etc.

I believe these tools play an important role in identifying whether a player is doing well or under-performing. Nevertheless, these graphs should be the starting point an indicator that you should be looking more closely at the situation. Used wisely, a tool like this could greatly improve guild performance.

Some individuals are fearful of an "elitist" backlash caused by the improper use of such a tool. Nevertheless, people have also argued that this tool would actually curb elitist behavior based on FACTS and DATA rather than Gear, Achievements, Spec, Gut Feeling or Favoritism.

The inevitability of undesirable behavior isn't something we can escape in a massive online community, so the real question is...

Would you rather be castigated based on factual data or would you rather take your chances with the "hunch" of a self seeking jerk?

With Recount

Jerk: Dude please leave the group your DPS sucks.

Without Recount

Jerk: Dude please leave the group you are wearing a green helm and your gear isn't good enough for this encounter. (You get kicked, even if you were top DPS)

-

EDIT: It would also totally eliminate "recount spam". They could disable all data broadcasts... If everyone has access to the information there would be no need to broadcast the results.

EDIT UPDATE:

-

During the speed-fire round starting at 13:00 in the video. Georg confirms an out of game COMBAT LOG!

People will have access to combat logs please bring a recount version in the game!

I think Georg Zoeller understands our pain for not having a combat log at launch, let's hope they "get it right" and quickly.

People who don't like Recount.

Edited by Israel

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh hell yea! Let's get this mammoth started again.

No.

Why?

I believe addon developers could do a better job at satisfying any and all concerns of those players who would use a Combat Meter/Parser.

I don't mean that as a slight against Bioware UI staff.

They just have more important stuff to worry about.

Edited by Bigguyonarock

I use recount in WoW, but most people know it is a bit broken even in WoW, it is ok, but in no means is accurate enough to tell if someone is doing good DPS or not. You compare version of people's data-sets and the number sometime don't add up the same. Damage done is a little bit closer to the truth than DPS. And even then DPS is not a good standard. Some who is dead 90% of the fight can have a higher DPS score than someone that survived the encounter by a large margin. Edited by Kiodine

Recount is an addon i like to use in WoW to get an idea of my own DPS and if its improving or not as i get new gear. I'd never use it as a reason to kick someone from a party, but thats just me. So i wouldnt mind ToR having an equivalent system available.

Just as long as we never see an appearance of a ToR frickin' Gearscore. That add-on was the bane of WoW for too long. It let *******es get away with being rude, it made the game lag more as it wasted bandwidth transmitting. Just ugh.

I believe addon developers could do a better job at satisfying any and all concerns of those players who would use a Combat Meter/Parser.

That's a respectable response.

Just as long as we never see an appearance of a ToR frickin' Gearscore. That add-on was the bane of WoW for too long. It let *******es get away with being rude, it made the game lag more as it wasted bandwidth transmitting. Just ugh.

Yeah, Gearscore serves no purpose.

Edited by Israel

Israel :

Recount is not just a "damage meter"... it is a graphical interface which allows you to view group activity in the combat log i.e. Damage Done over the duration of the fight by each player, Friendly Fire, Damage Taken, Healing Done, Absorbs, Healing Taken, Overhealing Done, Deaths, DOT Uptime, HOT Uptime, Player Combat Activity, Dispels, The Dispelled, Interrupts, Ressers, CC Breakers, Resources Gained, etc.

I believe these tools play an important role in identifying whether a player is doing well or under-performing. Nevertheless, these graphs should be the starting point – an indicator that you should be looking more closely at the situation. Used wisely, a tool like this could greatly improve guild performance.

Some individuals are fearful of an "elitist" backlash caused by the improper use of such a tool. Nevertheless, people have also argued that this tool would actually curb elitist behavior based on FACTS and DATA rather than Gear, Achievements, Spec, Gut Feeling or Favoritism.

I would have to agree with what Israel is saying here as well as it is a tool I have regularly used in the past to gauge my own personal performance in different roles and settings to see how and where I could potentially improve, or where as a team we could improve.... not to pick apart my teammates performance in order to belittle or embarass them.

When properly used it is a fantastic tool imo.

No, it creates an atmosphere where you have to have this addon to play the game and it cause too many people who percieve their eliteness and then push it onto others. No we don't need recount. People played without addons for many years just watch what you are doing and figure out how to do your own rotations. It creates lazy gamer syndrome having things figured out for you. That is my opinion and I am sticking to it!

Oh hell yea! Let's get this mammoth started again.

No.

Why?

I understand where you are coming from (look at any Blizzard implement system and the 3rd party version). But I would counter argue that with how long recount (and other better versions) have been out that bioware's UI guys (who Im sure some have played WoW at some point) would be able to nearly replicate recount and even add in TOR specific features.

I enjoy competitive raiding and would like a tool to be able to know what my DPS is around so I know that if I'm falling behind that I'm doing something wrong. It'd be nice as a healer to look at my heals so if I run out of force I can tell if it's because i was being stupid and using inefficient heals. It'd be nice as a tank to see what my mitigation is like.

Yes, it's an essential component of modern mmo design.

This statement is a non-answer, at least in terms of the question actually being posed.

It's not an essential part of modern MMO design-- It's never been part of the basic design of any MMO I've ever seen. If such a thing has EVER been present, it's as an add-on.

Now for myself, Recount is an unnecessary thing. It's inaccurate, as was stated earlier, prone to misuse by extremists, and all around annoying. The three days I used a DPS meter in WoW, I found myself paying more attention to it than I did the fight in front of me, trying to squeeze the greatest performance from what I had to hand rather than relaxing and having fun. Three weeks thereafter, I was booted by said extremists from two raids and a handful of dungeons for not doing the required amount of DPS(in several of those cases, I was doing fairly close to their quoted minimum numbers). If you have a tool, someone will misuse it to the detriment of all.

Especially when that tool is not designed by the makers of the game in question.

No matter what you do, there are going to be the sort of arsehole mentioned, and they'll make up a reason to hate you if they can. I recommend leaving such things out of the game, and at least making them work at it. The only add-on I use in WoW now is Bagnon, and TOR made that superfluous.

When properly used it is a fantastic tool imo.

Properly is the key word. Judging by the massive amounts of bad behavior we've seen on the forums today I can only surmise that maybe .05% of the population would use it correctly. The rest of the kids will use it to kick people out of raids, min/max, and freak out in groups about their constant need for the best gear.