[Guide] Reverse Engineering

Slaign

Please someone confirm if I am getting this reverse engineering progression right.

If you start with a green level schem that you learned from your trainer, you can RE it blue, then RE it purple, but no further right?

I noticed that an earpiece (cyber) when it turned purple, had a rampart relay device (superior) label on it (willpower based). Is there more than one type of purple possible for each type of main stat? (Basically am I done REing, or is it possible to get some other substat added to willpower? If so, do I RE the purple version, or the blue version?)

I read that there are two ways to RE. Is that second path only available with a critical craft (btw, never had one yet), or only if you started with REing a loot, or a schem you got from a mission? I am unclear on this.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The label was just there when I RE'd the blue version and got my purple.

I THINK you can critically reverse engineer something and skip the first tier of purple and go right to [superior] which is, I believe, the tag that indicates it is a tier 2 purple and not tier 1 purple. I could be wrong in this though, as I haven't had my espresso yet. ;-)

Please someone confirm if I am getting this reverse engineering progression right.

If you start with a green level schem that you learned from your trainer, you can RE it blue, then RE it purple, but no further right?

I noticed that an earpiece (cyber) when it turned purple, had a rampart relay device (superior) label on it (willpower based). Is there more than one type of purple possible for each type of main stat? (Basically am I done REing, or is it possible to get some other substat added to willpower? If so, do I RE the purple version, or the blue version?)

I read that there are two ways to RE. Is that second path only available with a critical craft (btw, never had one yet), or only if you started with REing a loot, or a schem you got from a mission? I am unclear on this.

Thanks in advance.

I believe it is green --> blue --> purple (tier 1, no suffix unless critical while crafting) --> purple (tier 2, [superior] suffix)

In theory, you can continue to reverse engineer that to get deep purple, but I still haven't even seen a deep purple item, never mind a crafted one. It's still a mystery.

Maybe this was already asked, but... I reverse engineered a blue "Critical Nano-Optic Reflex Enhancer" and it gave me the schematic for a purple "Leadership Nano-Optic Reflex Enhancer [superior]"...

If I reverse engineer the blue Critical Nano-Optic Reflex Enhancer AGAIN, are there other Purple schematics that I could unlock, or is he Leadership Nano Reflex the only one I could unlock for that specific blue Nano adapter?

Edited by -Kraxis-

The question stands.

Also, please take a look at this item and let me know if it's T1 or T2?

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/2926/itemi.gif

I believe that's tier 2. Check my last couple posts on this page. I think I addressed it. =)

To restate, I *think*, but am not positive, you can skip tier 1 purple and go right to tier 2 with the [superior] suffix on the end.

Maybe this was already asked, but... I reverse engineered a blue "Critical Nano-Optic Reflex Enhancer" and it gave me the schematic for a purple "Leadership Nano-Optic Reflex Enhancer [superior]"...

If I reverse engineer the blue Critical Nano-Optic Reflex Enhancer AGAIN, are there other Purple schematics that I could unlock, or is he Leadership Nano Reflex the only one I could unlock for that specific blue Nano adapter?

There are others. 4 more, to be exact. Check the original post, it'll show you the different ones. =)

Well I got my first critical crafting. It in fact does open an augmentation slot. I RE'd it to a purple superior, but with no augmentation. The crtitical craft does not carry over the augmentation slot. The RE progression in the guide is right on.

Thus, the IDEAL crafted item is a purple, with a critical craft augmentation slot on it. You simply have to craft enough purples to get the augmentation, and it will be random and rare. You can't get a schem that includes the augmentation.

Not sure what this means with looted purples. Can those be RE'd into something else?

is it, or is it not possible to critically craft an orange moddable item and get an augment slot? i would like confirmation non this. the OP has not been updated so i dont know for sure. Also is it possible to RE orange moddable armor that was bought with commendations so that you can learn a schematic for it? According to others posts, i dont think REing items that were bought with commendations will give you anything other then materials. Can anyone confirm this as well?

is it, or is it not possible to critically craft an orange moddable item and get an augment slot? i would like confirmation non this. the OP has not been updated so i dont know for sure. Also is it possible to RE orange moddable armor that was bought with commendations so that you can learn a schematic for it? According to others posts, i dont think REing items that were bought with commendations will give you anything other then materials. Can anyone confirm this as well?

In short, so far, no one knows.

Well I got my first critical crafting. It in fact does open an augmentation slot. I RE'd it to a purple superior, but with no augmentation. The crtitical craft does not carry over the augmentation slot. The RE progression in the guide is right on.

Thus, the IDEAL crafted item is a purple, with a critical craft augmentation slot on it. You simply have to craft enough purples to get the augmentation, and it will be random and rare. You can't get a schem that includes the augmentation.

Not sure what this means with looted purples. Can those be RE'd into something else?

Correct, critical crafting is what gives you the augment slot.

Reverse engineering a tier 1 purple into a tier 2 purple gives you a recipe that has extra ability modifications, not an augment slot.

If you then manage to critically craft from that item, you then get the augment slot as well and the [superior] tag changes to [Mastercraft].

As for looted items of any color providing recipes, we just don't know yet, which tends to imply that no recipes will be forthcoming from doing so, only meager materials.

i am attempting to critically craft orange moddable armor from synthweaving. If anyone is Sith on Infinite Empire and want to help me figure this out, i need Demicot Silk, Ancient Artifact Fragments, and Opile Crystals. All of this is level 3 Archaeology materials and every single dollar i earn is going straight to this to figure out once and for all if you can critically craft orange moddable gear. I will be crafting 100 vestments to ensure a good ratio on the chances of this. Thank You. Edited by ISpartanVI

Has anyone found any information on RE'n the rare schematics from 50 hard modes or ops yet? i know these are currently all BOP, but are they able to be RE'd to create superior and artifact versions or the comparable version from a prototype schematic.

If so this would make those pieces very attractive. granted it will take a crap ton of biometric alloy to happen and cost an arm or a leg. Just wondering before i start dumping millions in cash into a bop schematic.

About how many RE blues does it take for one purple?

Green to Blue seems to be 1/5 to 1/10?

Does every green item have a blue and blue a purple?

Do only original blues RE to purple?

Is there some level where blue RE to purple?

I have a mid-level toon that just RE 20 to 25 blue belts didn't get a single purple, finally I just gave up?

If RE blue to purple is a 1/20 or greater chance, then what a waste of time and mats, doesn't make sense until the end game...or it could just be bugged at this night and time for this item on this server...this game is so buggy and inconsistent I have no confidence in it at all.

IT MAKES ME WANT TO GET MY $60 WORTH AND COME BACK IN 6 MONTHS, MAYBE ONCE THEY"VE FIXED THE BUGS AND GAMEPLAY!!!

Does anyone know if its possible to get better quality schematics from RE earpieces? I RE 20 Reflex Adapters and didnt get a schematic for a higher quality Reflex Adapter. Is this normal, or was I just very unlucky?

Yes, it is possible. Usually takes me on average 7-10 crafts to get a prototype earpiece. So you're just unlucky, keep at it.

About how many RE blues does it take for one purple?

Green to Blue seems to be 1/5 to 1/10?

Does every green item have a blue and blue a purple?

Do only original blues RE to purple?

Is there some level where blue RE to purple?

I have a mid-level toon that just RE 20 to 25 blue belts didn't get a single purple, finally I just gave up?

If RE blue to purple is a 1/20 or greater chance, then what a waste of time and mats, doesn't make sense until the end game...or it could just be bugged at this night and time for this item on this server...this game is so buggy and inconsistent I have no confidence in it at all.

IT MAKES ME WANT TO GET MY $60 WORTH AND COME BACK IN 6 MONTHS, MAYBE ONCE THEY"VE FIXED THE BUGS AND GAMEPLAY!!!

It's totally random!

A week ago I REd 20+ green Reflex Barrel 6 to finally get the blue schematic.

Yesterday I got 4 new schematics (blue and purple Reflex Barrel, blue and purple Skill Barrel) with only 14 RE attempts.

My crew skills and the affection with my Companion have since improved. Maybe that has some influence. But I don't know.

Yes, it is possible. Usually takes me on average 7-10 crafts to get a prototype earpiece. So you're just unlucky, keep at it.

Thanks.

^^ from what I read, your crew member's affection does have an impact on how they perform crew skills, but I dont think it matters as far as RE goes. Not positive though.

First, to answer the question in general: Sorry, we just don't know for sure. Since no one has come around here with a screenshot of a critically crafted orange, and only a few people have reported having done so, I have been trying to confirm this with a low level orange. I made 10 of them, and didn't get a critical. I'm still making more to be sure. I'll probably make 20-50.

The thing is, even if I make 50 and never get a critical, I can only speculate based on an educated guess that it is not possible. Still, at least I'll have information to put into the guide.

Now, about that bolded part of your quote: The guide has been updated. The guide has been updated probably somewhere around 50 times since it's creation. I often update it multiple times a week. This is, however, dependent on new information. There has been no reliable new information on critical oranges. As soon as that information exists, I'll update it into the guide.

I THINK you can critically reverse engineer something and skip the first tier of purple and go right to [superior] which is, I believe, the tag that indicates it is a tier 2 purple and not tier 1 purple. I could be wrong in this though, as I haven't had my espresso yet. ;-)

I've never, ever heard of this happening. Honestly, it doesn't really make sense. If you skip Tier 1 prefixes, how would it determine which Tier 2 prefix to give you, just randomness? Also, that would kinda suck, because if you did get a random T2 there's a 1/15 chance it will be the one you want, and if you skipped the Tier 1, you wouldn't have anything to RE to get the other Tier 2s yet.

So no, I don't think that happens. I think chances are you are incorrect about what the Superior tag means and how RE'ing works, based on this post:

I believe it is green --> blue --> purple (tier 1, no suffix unless critical while crafting) --> purple (tier 2, [superior] suffix)

In theory, you can continue to reverse engineer that to get deep purple, but I still haven't even seen a deep purple item, never mind a crafted one. It's still a mystery.

This isn't quite accurate. If an item starts out as green, the Tier 1 prefix is gained when it becomes blue, and the Tier 2 prefix is gained when it becomes purple. The purple item will have the [superior] tag. Only when a base item is BLUE (in other words, you learned it from the trainer or schematic as blue, not RE'd to get a blue) are both the Tier 1 and Tier 2 prefixes purple.

Regardless, Tier 2 Prefix schematics always have the [superior] tag on them. The only way a Tier 2 prefix item will NOT have the [superior] tag is if it is critically crafted, and thus gets the [Mastercraft] tag instead.

For clarity:

Tier 1 Prefixes = Redoubt, Overkill and Critical

Tier 2 Prefixes = (For example) General, Hawkeye, Rampart. Fervor, etc.

All this information is in the guide, but I understand that it's a lot of information to take in on a seemingly simple subject. So, if you can provide specific and constructive ideas on how to make the guide more clear or criticism on a specific place you feel is unclear or misleading, I'll take it into account.

Be specific, and base your criticisms upon the perspective of someone actually reading the guide. I get the impression a lot of people skim the guide and only read what they think is important before asking a question. The subject at hand is complex enough to warrant a full read, just skimming through will never give one a complete understanding of the subject.

For the most part, I've stopped answering questions that are already answered in the guide. If I see someone spreading misinformation like the post above (no offense, I know you weren't trying to do so) I'll usually pause to point it out as incorrect and correct it. But for general questions, I try not to facilitate the attitude of people who seem to just read a few paragraphs in the guide, skip the rest of the thread, and ask a question that's already answered in the guide itself.

I figure either someone else who better understood will answer the question, or hopefully the asker will go back and reread to find the answer. I read every post, so if you've posted a question and it hasn't gotten an answer, reread the guide and make sure you haven't just missed the answer.

If you have a question that isn't being answered and you really feel you've read the guide thoroughly and still can't find the answer, post and let me know, I'll try to both answer and make the answer clearer in the guide.

I hope you guys understand, and don't think I'm being a dick about this, I just want to be clear that this is a guide, not a questions and answers thread, so most of the answers should be in the guide. I update it with every bit of relevant information as soon as I have it, so any question I can answer ought to already BE answered in the guide. If I answered every single question that's already been answered and starts with "I didn't read the whole thread but..." I'd be here all day every day.

Thanks for understanding! :)