Bio-engineer - an idea for a new crew skill!

ZapperWeisman

This may have been suggested and I am sure former players of that other Star Wars MMO have suggested it but here is my take on this.

Add a new crew skill called Bio-engineer. They use Bio-analysis to gather DNA from creatures of all levels. The DNA they collect is a new item looted randomly from creatures of varying levels and strengths. The DNA is used to create creatures. Perhaps they could also be augmented further with cybernetics from the appropriate other crew skills! This would fit within the story as there are a few quests dealing with modified creatures.

These creatures can serve 3 purposes. 1 - Additional combat pets/companions. They don't have story, they simply exist as a combat alternative to your story companions. 2 - Vanity pets. Little versions of existing creatures or new creatures to follow you around and observe your adventures. 3 - Mounts. They wouldn't be fast as the fastest speeders but they would be fun to have, add variety to the game and maybe serve as low level mounts.

I was thinking you can choose a base creature type and add qualities, strengths, abilities and weaknesses found in other creatures. The DNA items would contain stats found in the creature it was looted from. Normal creatures would produce normal stats, champion creatures give stats relative to their levels, etc. Have some balancing system in place to keep things from getting too overpowered. Have the ability to customize the appearance, size, color and other cosmetic features to some degree as well as being able to choose a name for the combat pets.

I'd love to see something like this. It could add a whole new level of game-play. Create a new market and offer alternatives to existing companions. People could have their own semi-unique creatures to use.

Devs, consider this please! It would allow for some creative freedom. This game needs some things like this. I'd like to see this game opened up a little. A more sand-boxy feeling with the ability to be creative. This would be a huge step towards that, in my opinion.

Edited by ZapperWeisman

I like it and it's far closer to cannon then Zombies....

Ok they call them something else but they are still Zombies. If it looks like a Zombie and quacks like a Zombie, it's a Zombie. :-/

Sadly "creative freedom" is something I doubt we'll see any time soon if at all. If we ever do get high level of "creative freedom" in crafting i'll eat a raw "Trinidad Scorpion Butch T" hot pepper (worlds hottest) on video and upload it to youtube.. heh.

Edited by Ironcleaver

Everything but #1.

Combat pets simply won't work. I don't care how much we all want rancors and acklays, but in SWG it was a bad idea from the start. THEYRE JUST TOO BIG!

maybe, what, womp rats and kinrath spiders. Small stuff.

Other then this, I support.

Idea: maybe instead of fighting pets, maybe having them out will give you a simple combat buff or debuff the enemy? Like maybe a 5% willpower buff, or 10% expertise buff, or a speed buff, and maybe a reduce accuracy enemy debuff.

Oh, and change name for crew skill. It sounds too much like the medical supplies crew skills... No offense, just constructive critisism.

If you are basing combat pets being a bad idea simply because SWG had pets that were too big then that doesn't make it a bad idea. I agree, giant pets that get in the way visually would be a bad idea. I never said they had to be rancors. I also didn't say copy SWG exactly. Refine it. Take the good from it, leave the bad and adapt the concept to fit this game. I think having pets out that simply provide buffs is a little silly, in my opinion. We have buffs of different types already. That would get into a whole weird balancing act whereas having a fun/different alternative to your normal companions would be fun and, if they are balanced correctly might offer some variety and not cause any issues.

Imagine a combat pet about half the height of a player, like one of those hound things in the blackhole area that has some damage mitigation, high health, and some aggressive agro-grabbing stance as a melee tank. That sorta thing. Not some gigantic thing that makes seeing what you are attacking impossible.

You did make a good point though, about how the size of the pets could be a problem. I agree totally. As to the name, I don't care what they call it. I just used that name as a starting point.

Edited by ZapperWeisman

Oh ok, sorry for kinda butchering your idea. And the SWG comment I apologize for, because I had a thread for suggesting ideas, and litterly about 40% of people wanted either a brawling or beat master class. The problem was it just isn't very heroic.

But ok, I'm sorry, now I get it, it makes sense now. I do like the idea, and I guess the buffing pets would be weird...

And I more meant theyd be to big, because, well, SWTOR is small and crowded. Bring a big pet to the dune sea or Hoth? Sure. Bring a nexu to coruscant? Not so much. I do have another suggestion though...

Dont make it a crew skill. It just won't be able to level up for new abilities, and people will feel excluded and drop there crew skills, and less artificers and stuff, and those who aren't bio engineers will have to pay large prices for eggs (or whatever you hold Pets in) and yada yada yada. I just want it to be open to EVERYONE. I'd drop my crew skills for it, but it be a little weird having to level up to unlock pets... I'm sorry for bashing the crew skills idea, I just would prefer if everyone could bio-engineer.

Dont get me wrong, 200% support.