Snipers need an urget nerf

ZeusThunder

LOL! I step away for a few days and this is what I come back to? Amazing!

Heh, still, you know the world has not gone completely mad when someone posts a "Nerf snipers" thread, and the overwhelming community response is "LOLWHUT?"

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marauders and Powertechs need a nerf instantly! Snipers need a nerf too! Assassin tanks are obviously OP! Nerf Sages now! Operatives are still OP as ever, especially the healers! Ravage is ridiculous, nerf juggs too! They're destroying Huttball!

Then buff Mercenaries. TY.

Best post ever. Also sums up about 70% of the posts here except last line needs to read buff - (insert class I play here)

Even so - Dart -> CG -> legshot -> run to 30m, time probe+ambush to hit ~ 8 second mark-> cull -> CG (snare) -> dart -> Gap closed on foot -> Cover pulse -> make 2 seconds of space -> ambush -> Leg shot -> 30m, etc.

Obviously this is oversimplified and presumes the target is slightly retarded, but you could get very close to this kind of mileage on any Melee depending on cooldowns, just apply DoTs before roots and you're golden (sniper DoTs are 18 - 30 seconds depending on Leth spec)

As it is, if I get to start a fight at 30+m it takes a very good melee player blowing a few cooldowns to stand a chance against me, I find this to be fair because if the fight starts at ~4m I'm the one that has to work really hard.

But if you give me an extra ~16 seconds of root/mezz in any given fight, it's a seriously busted system tipped heavily in my favour.

Where are you getting this 8 seconds from? It lasts up to 5 and breaks on damage after 2...

http://www.torhead.com/ability/1KgmaGG/leg-shot

Where are you getting this 8 seconds from? It lasts up to 5 and breaks on damage after 2...

http://www.torhead.com/ability/1KgmaGG/leg-shot

Off the top of my head, I'm getting it from what I remember from the tooltip in-game.

It's not impossible that I'm wrong, but I can tell you straight up that the damge shown on the link you provided is way out of whack, that's more than Ambush.

Snipers while in cover are immune to interrupts, leaps, and pulls and they have an ability that makes them immune to all forms of CC on cooldown while their damage is equal or better to all other DPS classes. This in itself is overpowered.

Forget the nerf Marauder threads, let's get Snipers nerfed already this is ridiculous.

I've been saying for weeks now that it's absolutely ridiculous that the class with the absolute highest burst-dps is uninterruptable and very hard to CC.

ppl don't see it yet, but as soon as ranked 8-man queues are available, they'll see one 1-2-3-Spike with 2-4 Snipers after another and realize that theres nothing you can do against that class.

But don't bother with educating ppl about the true imbalances of this game; it's just not on that level yet: ppl don't play together, they don't spike DMG, they don't interrupt well etc. so they don't see it yet...

You may just be miscalculating.

It's 931 + 259% of your bonus healing, so for 300 bonus healing that is:

931 + 2.59*300 = 1677 (edit: LOL maths fail, I should add 931, not 900 - it's 1708)

Like I said, a PVP geared sniper in full WH with augs might end up around 250 (maybe 260) bonus healing.

The deceptive effect with shield probe is that the droid stays orbiting for the full 15 seconds, even long after the absorb has been spent.

i just checked... i have 318 bonus healing so ya... shield probe is still crap... :p

i have 5 pieces of WH gear with augs...

I've been saying for weeks now that it's absolutely ridiculous that the class with the absolute highest burst-dps is uninterruptable and very hard to CC.

pardon me sir...but Stealth kills us, dots kill us(no cleanse no heals)

1 vs 1 when we see you coming...sure we got tools if you try to bum rush...good chance we win

2 vs 1 we can't last...I mean ZERO survivability

jump on us...you win

If a sniper/GS kills you and you got the jump on them.....then it was either their gear>>>>>yours....or that players skill with ANY class>>>>>yours

Not trying to be rude....just I have unloaded full energy bars into people with relics and stims to barely put a dent into them...I've been 100%-0% in 5 secs by stealth melee....I've been fire bombed by Pyros in 6 secs 15k-0k while I couldn't even hit them...I've been lifted into the air, thrown across the room, slam spiked, and otherwise just tossed around being played with and not really even able to anything about it.

Do GS/Snipes need a dmg buff....NO

do we need a stealth trap...YES.

Off the top of my head, I'm getting it from what I remember from the tooltip in-game.

It's not impossible that I'm wrong, but I can tell you straight up that the damge shown on the link you provided is way out of whack, that's more than Ambush.

Yeah the damage on that is way high but the tooltip is the same as in game.

pardon me sir...but Stealth kills us, dots kill us(no cleanse no heals)

1 vs 1 when we see you coming...sure we got tools if you try to bum rush...good chance we win

2 vs 1 we can't last...I mean ZERO survivability

jump on us...you win

If a sniper/GS kills you and you got the jump on them.....then it was either their gear>>>>>yours....or that players skill with ANY class>>>>>yours

Not trying to be rude....just I have unloaded full energy bars into people with relics and stims to barely put a dent into them...I've been 100%-0% in 5 secs by stealth melee....I've been fire bombed by Pyros in 6 secs 15k-0k while I couldn't even hit them...I've been lifted into the air, thrown across the room, slam spiked, and otherwise just tossed around being played with and not really even able to anything about it.

Do GS/Snipes need a dmg buff....NO

do we need a stealth trap...YES.

No one is putting out 16k+ damage in 5 seconds.

Stealthtrap would be cool... make it deploy around you when cover activates and if a stealth walks through they get popped out and rooted for 1 second... Make it so it happens automatically and has a 2 minute ICD after it's been set off.

No one is putting out 16k+ damage in 5 seconds.

16k might be a bit high... but not by much.... Heck lets say 5-6 second GS Stimmed up burst....

Flurish (500-600k)

Charged Burst (2-3k)

Sabatoge Charge (2-3k)

Trick Shot (3-4k)

Speed Shot 2.5 second or so channel if you proc some sniper volley... (3-5k)

Aimed Shot 1.3 Second Induction or so with procs up (4-6k)

Charged Burst (2-3k)

Trick Shot (3-4k)

QuickDraw (3-5k)

Now I know those are not all likely to hit those numbers in a row.... Seriously though its not impossible to land 3-4 of those as crits... and that roll is 6-8 seconds or so, with a Sniper Volley Proc... just saying.

Wait what am I saying... no no nothing wrong with the GS / Sniper move along. No seriously though its not OP in anyway .... Good Dmg, although it is still mostly white dmg and tank classes are more resistant... Yes we can be immune to a bunch of stuff if we use the cool down properly and DON'T Move which makes us sitting ducks for melee and stealth classes. Overall I would rank it as one of the funnier classes to play, as well as likely one of the most balanced classes in game... every good thing we have has a draw back. OP Roll one and have fun with it... you will die a lot and you will Screw people up a lot and you will have fun.

Edited by Husanak

They also cannot move...

This is why I believe no class needs to be nerfed. I hate all other classes that I'm not playing at that particular point in time. :)

Just play what you have. BW, please don't nerf anything. Give everyone a chance to learn their class. Im yet to figure my classes out.

ppl don't see it yet, but as soon as ranked 8-man queues are available, they'll see one 1-2-3-Spike with 2-4 Snipers after another and realize that theres nothing you can do against that class.

But don't bother with educating ppl about the true imbalances of this game; it's just not on that level yet: ppl don't play together, they don't spike DMG, they don't interrupt well etc. so they don't see it yet...

And I been calling people who say it an idiot for weeks.

The only time a sniper is immune to CC is when they are behind Entrench. They can't move, at all, or they lose entrench. You can recognize entrench because they have a GIANT red shield in front of them.

It lasts 20 seconds.

Sure, leapers can't jump to them while in cover, but that's it. You can CC them as normal while Entrench is off.

Sniper SHOULD deal the MOST damage in the game. They have to sit in once spot and not move to do it. They also have nothing to heal themselves. They have little in the way of defense. They have no "oh no" skills that save their lives.

They get a little shield drone that will barely take a single attack before it's gone. They get Evade which gives them 3 seconds of immunity to ranged and melee attacks, but Force and tech are unaffected. They get a single stun, which requires them to be in melee range to use. An AOE mez which breaks on any damage.

Ballistic shield reduces damage by 20%, but again you can't exit cover or it cancels.

The Sniper has monster damage, as they should. But that damage comes at the price of being stationary. For those who don't know, that means they CANNOT move. Unlike the other classes in the game. A sniper is always a sitting duck. If you can't kill the target before they get on you...you're probably dead.

I have seen a few lucky crits or dodges make the sniper win, but it's rare.

If you are charging toward a sniper who is pelting you, then you deserve to die. Do what you would do in real life. You'd break line of sight. You come at them from behind, or get closer before revealing yourself.

Marauders and Powertechs need a nerf instantly! Snipers need a nerf too! Assassin tanks are obviously OP! Nerf Sages now! Operatives are still OP as ever, especially the healers! Ravage is ridiculous, nerf juggs too! They're destroying Huttball!

Then buff Mercenaries. TY.

Shhh... Don't startle the raving nerdz.

For the love of God stop crying out for nerfs

Just because you suck and can't beat them doesn't mean other people can. Stick an Annhilation spec maurder on a sniper and have a merc gun him/her down from range and the sniper will melt like butter

Use strategy

Snipers are turrets...good damage when they stand still, but close the distance, los them and there's nothing they can do to stop you.

Also entrench lasts for 20 seconds...if they move it's cancelled, use that time to use powerful aoe abilities(orbital strike, lightning storm) and they will move.

LOL @ lightning storm suggestion (will do roughly 1500 damage TOTAL to an entrenched AoE damage reduction specced sniper/slinger - orbital will do more, yes, but not enough to make them move).

Back to OP: Yes, Entrench is nice and lets the turret-mode playstyle of a sniper/gunslinger get in the middle of the action once every 2 min. for 20s. Yes sniper/slingers are excellent at taking out certain classes. Yes their DPS rivals (or may be superior, as you claim, lol) to that of other pure DPS classes (but definitely not against squishies). Yes, they can effectively counter marauders/sents and powertechs/vanguards with proper cycles/rotations in many 1v1 situations those classes are accustomed to winning. But do they need a nerf? LOL no. At least not for those reasons. Only time sniper/slingers might actually be worth complaining about is when there are multiple on the same team and they are very well-coordinated (yes, the can pretty much perma-root + burst anything dead with a quickness if it happens to be in plain sight) -and oftentimes groups with multiple snipers/slingers dominate WZ's and still lose due to the play-style- but even this can be countered. Just expect to be frustrated quite a bit (particularly if you're melee) and learn when/how best to effectively mount an attack and keep in mind that DoT's are sniper/gunslinger banes.

Edited by SinnedWill

A huge knockback that roots doesn't qualify as a "oh no" skill?

For the uninitiated to gunslinger/sniper

1. They're not immune when in cover. They have a timed ability that will make them immune but it isn't cover, its called hunker down.

2. The knockback doesn't root, plus they have to be in cover to knockback. The root is a seperate ability called legshot.

Most of the cool stuff snipers and gunslingers can do make them immobile and sitting ducks for melee, any class melee I might add.

And I been calling people who say it an idiot for weeks.

The only time a sniper is immune to CC is when they are behind Entrench. They can't move, at all, or they lose entrench. You can recognize entrench because they have a GIANT red shield in front of them.

It lasts 20 seconds.

Sure, leapers can't jump to them while in cover, but that's it. You can CC them as normal while Entrench is off.

Sniper SHOULD deal the MOST damage in the game. They have to sit in once spot and not move to do it. They also have nothing to heal themselves. They have little in the way of defense. They have no "oh no" skills that save their lives.

They get a little shield drone that will barely take a single attack before it's gone. They get Evade which gives them 3 seconds of immunity to ranged and melee attacks, but Force and tech are unaffected. They get a single stun, which requires them to be in melee range to use. An AOE mez which breaks on any damage.

Ballistic shield reduces damage by 20%, but again you can't exit cover or it cancels.

The Sniper has monster damage, as they should. But that damage comes at the price of being stationary. For those who don't know, that means they CANNOT move. Unlike the other classes in the game. A sniper is always a sitting duck. If you can't kill the target before they get on you...you're probably dead.

I have seen a few lucky crits or dodges make the sniper win, but it's rare.

If you are charging toward a sniper who is pelting you, then you deserve to die. Do what you would do in real life. You'd break line of sight. You come at them from behind, or get closer before revealing yourself.

Just this right here.

Snipers can really hurt but to me they mostly are just easy prey. Terrain in most warzones keeps snipers in check anyway. I always find a way to los-dot-pwn them with my sorc and on my marauder I usually find a way to sneak to their position and even deny them a proper KB. A sitting sniper + a marauder sitting in his face = a dead sniper.

Nerf you? No way, I'm rolling a Sniper now. After playing a Merc for awhile playing a Sniper is going to be awesome. I'll do the same amount of damage, have the same amount of burst, have the same amount of mobility, but I'll be immune to a lot of stuff and be able to cast roots on people.

You will probably fail like you did before with your Merc, but it is a good way to let yourself know that the class and skills are not always the problem... Good luck with your sniper, it is a pretty class