When you unlearn a crew skill, do you lose the points?

DarthButcher

So, when you unlearn a skill to pick up a new one, do you lose all the points you put into it?

IE if you max out a crafting skill, unlearn it to start another, unlearn that one and go back to your original..

Will it still be maxed out?

• 2 weeks later...

That really sucks.....I chose Diplomacy, Synthweaving, and ARcheology. I thought it was cool that you could choose different options.

But really you can't.....why wouldn't Bioware just make you choose all 3 that go with it...like Synthweaving, Under World, and Archeology? what would be the advantage of doing anything else....

there is barely anything on the Galactic Market...so that's not an option.

So now I'm going to lose all my light side points? and all the items I have received? What a waste.

Why would they do this to me?!

That really sucks.....I chose Diplomacy, Synthweaving, and ARcheology. I thought it was cool that you could choose different options.

But really you can't.....why wouldn't Bioware just make you choose all 3 that go with it...like Synthweaving, Under World, and Archeology? what would be the advantage of doing anything else....

So now I'm going to lose all my light side points? and all the items I have received? What a waste.

The advantage is that you can mix it up with alts to service all your needs - you may not have noticed but this game strongly encourages the use of alts. :)

If you dropped diplomacy you would of course not lose anything already gained through use of the skill, but if you came back to it again in the future you would start over from 1 skill point.

And schematics? Just curious, but will you have to refind and relearn schematics when you come back? That'll be irritating.

Yes, you would lose all schematics - trainer bought, looted/mission/GTN and researched.

Best advice when it comes to picking your Crew Skills is, do a little research first. Its actually pretty good advice for MMOs in general. If you open your Codex (L, to open your Log, then hit the Codex tab at the bottom) & look under Crew Skills, so long as you have spoken with all the trainers on the Fleet (& you should talk to all of them at least once when you first get to Level 10 for the experience & information) each Crew Skill Codex entry will list what Crew Skills pair well with each other, making your decision an informed one.

The whole design and implementation of the Crew Skills was that they are meant to work together towards your Crafting Crew Skill. You certainly CAN mix and match, but it isnt necessarily going to be an efficient or effective combination.

If you plan on leveling alts (and I would definitely plan on it just to see all 4 class quest lines) you will find that you will indeed have some leeway when choosing skills.

For example, I just started leveling a Republic toon on a new server so that I could see that side of things after playing Imperial since launch. For my Jedi Shadow I took Slicing, Scavenging and Underworld Trading. I made those choices knowing that all three are big credit earners which would allow me to buy anything I needed from the GTN so I didn't have to worry about crafting anything at the start.

My second Republic toon will be a Synthweaver (for various reasons) and since I already have UT covered by the first toon I will be able to chose a different skill if I so desire...or even double up on toons with UT so that I can craft items AND sell materials.

The stickies here and the Codex as well as resources like Torhead will give you good info to make informed choices.

No, you won't lose your light side points or the items you've already collected.