A brief history of SWTOR

kitsinni

A brief history of SWTOR ...

BW/EA announce a Star Wars MMO and players everywhere began to get excited about a new game ...

SWTOR is born and free beta begins ...

SWTOR announces that you can get in 5 days early if you pre-order but the amount of days will be based on when you pre-order...

People pre-order within hours of the deadline and start posting if I don't get my full 5 early days I am going to quit...

SWTOR listens and gives everyone who pre-ordered 5 full days and an extra 2 days to those who pre-ordered early...

People begin to complain that people got an extra two days and they will quit if they don't get on now ...

Before the pre-order period is done the forums are littered with posts about adding more servers now or I quit ...

Many new servers without queues are added and many people re-roll to low population servers ...

After a couple of weeks most queues are gone ...

People begin to post that their low-pop servers are low-pop and demand transfers or I quit ...

People begin posting that if server transfers happen they will quit ...

Low population servers say they can't find groups and a LFG tool must be put in place ...

SWTOR announces a LFG tool to come in the future ....

People say that if the LFG tool is put in place they will quit ....

People say that if the LFG tool is cross-server they will quit ...

People say that if the LFG tool is nont cross-server they will quit ...

.... the saga continues ... or I will quit!

MMOs are a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing. Even though the game turned to crap, due to only 1 thing, I love the AoC Lead Dev for coming out and say to the players,

"IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, LEAVE!"

A company that will hold to their own vision instead of the whining players will always have my respect.

BW/EA announce a Star Wars MMO and players everywhere began to get excited about a new game ...

SWTOR announces that you can get in 5 days early if you pre-order but the amount of days will be based on when you pre-order...

People pre-order within hours of the deadline and start posting if I don't get my full 5 early days I am going to quit...

SWTOR listens and gives everyone who pre-ordered 5 full days and an extra 2 days to those who pre-ordered early...

People begin to complain that people got an extra two days and they will quit if they don't get on now ...

Before the pre-order period is done the forums are littered with posts about adding more servers now or I quit ...

Many new servers without queues are added and many people re-roll to low population servers ...

People begin to post that their low-pop servers are low-pop and demand transfers or I quit ...

Low population servers say they can't find groups and a LFG tool must be put in place ...

...and then 1.1 million people who bought the game did just that....

...and then 1.1 million people who bought the game did just that....

Thank God, I would prefer to play this game with 1,000 people who don't demand or I quit than 2,000,000 whiny babies that get what they want.

thats mostly a brief history of all mmorpg in a post WOW era. Pretty sad isnt it?

The way I see it, the Forums aren't a good litmus test for the ACTUAL feelings of the Community. Maybe like 5% of the players go on the forum. So when people say they'll quit, it's literally a drop of water in the ocean.

But I guess devs end up listening to the Vocal Minority.

You forgot the part about SWTOR losing 25% of their subs because the devs don't have a clue.

You forgot the part about players leaving a game after launch because, well, that's what players typically do.

See Age of Conan, DC Universe, Rift, etc, etc

The lack that we're still above 1 million is pretty awesome.

A brief history of most MMOs since wow:

Game gets designed copying most of the features that drive people away from WoW verbatim (to wit, gear grind, dailies, repetitive content), while failing to do the little things that WoW gets right (interface, accessibility, bite-sized content, world design/ambiance).

Game goes through hype train.

Enthusiastic disaffected WoW players enter the world at release, expecting the 'different' that they've been told to.

For the first twenty levels, everything seems new and fresh.

People hit max level. They perceive the gear grind. The lack of usability features begins to become important.

.. and that's about it.

Edited by Lheim

You forgot the part about SWTOR losing 25% of their subs because the devs don't have a clue.

As opposed to all thew whinny little players that know everything about coding/programming and running a multi-national, multi-million dollar company. I seriously have never seen a forum with more CEOs, CIOs, CFOs on it. I thought WoW's forums were bad, they are nothing compared to these ....

Oh and DEVs, forgot about all the software developers on these forums, can't leave that out.

Edited by Balrizangor

thats mostly a brief history of all mmorpg in a post WOW era. Pretty sad isnt it?

I agree. My recommendation to BioWare: Get out of the MMO business until the community grows up.

MMOs are a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing. Even though the game turned to crap, due to only 1 thing, I love the AoC Lead Dev for coming out and say to the players,

"IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, LEAVE!"

A company that will hold to their own vision instead of the whining players will always have my respect.

If it was their OWN vision, but lets be honest here... SWTOR is WoW in a sci-fi skin.. Linear quest trail that holds your hand to the end, where you go do heroic / raid gear grinds and dailies...... OMG.. This design is so old and lame.. Atleast GW2 looks to break the mold.. TOR had their chance and blew it..

Hello everyone!

We appreciate feedback, both positive and negative. However, we do ask that that feedback is constructive. This post goes into more detail about what we're looking for in feedback and how to make sure your feedback is constructive and helpful.

With that in mind, we're going to go ahead and close the thread. If you have suggestions for the game, we have a forum for specific suggestions, the Suggestion Box. We encourage you to post your suggestions there!

Thank you for understanding and helping us make sure that the forums are as constructive and helpful as possible!