Allow 3rd party addons!

peterpangelo

I don't follow the forums down to every last post, but my periodic thread surveys seem to show evidence that this idea could help. I believe that if you allow the community to make addons (aka, do some of your work for you, BW, and for free!!) then that will free up more of your time to get to other important game changes that you feel necessary in order to guarantee a long life of this MMO.

A nice example would be the thread you guys started on feedback for UI customization. Would be absolutely unnecessary if you just let the community handle it!

Giving GM free reign to do events on servers would be nice...

But I agree, I think involving some of the community in building and expanding the galaxy would help a LOT. The game as it stands lacks the feel that you're in a living, MMO universe because the planets are just static Super Mario levels that you clear and move on from... Bringing in help to expand the game world to be more than just a set of enemies would be brilliant.

• 6 months later...
So I have read numerous threads on countless forums about addons for swtor. One post read that addons will never come to the game, another read that addons will be supported sometime next year and another read that Bioware will deploy there own addons. Can someone tell me which if any of these rumors are true. I miss my healbot and atlasloot.

So I have read numerous threads on countless forums about addons for swtor. One post read that addons will never come to the game, another read that addons will be supported sometime next year and another read that Bioware will deploy there own addons. Can someone tell me which if any of these rumors are true. I miss my healbot and atlasloot.

I am willing to bet they will copy what Blizzard is doing now, at least if they are smart.

Implement their own add ons so they can regulate which ones players can use and not get flooded like WoW did.

they have said they will add features to the game so addons by a third party will not be needed nor allowed. so in essence no addons by anyone as in game features will be made by them instead. this was last spring so now with f2p such might change but i doubt it.

they have said they will add features to the game so addons by a third party will not be needed nor allowed. so in essence no addons by anyone as in game features will be made by them instead. this was last spring so now with f2p such might change but i doubt it.

They're not getting very far - and the problem is, the game has to develop now before it loses out entirely. F2P means a player and exposure boost, but it's temporary - the game's fortunes will not be any different with regards to how many people actually stay or subscribe unless they expand and improve the game itself.

And what with team reductions and barely managing to even fix bugs (some of which remain from release) and precious little in the way of major new content a year on, I really wish they would let some of the community get involved. People want to help, they have great ideas and even the skills - I personally know no fewer than half a dozen amateur texture artists who could far upgrade existing textures (my God, have you seen the planet textures for ship cutscenes - they're a blurry mess!? There were better resolution and quality textures in the old Star Wars: Empire at War strategy game!) or produce new content to the current standard or better.

Just look around the forums - all the things people request; not limited to new content but to polish on the existing game to really make it feel like good quality and immerse players, and Bioware evidently lack the staff or incentive to actually implement it. Well, we're here and waiting to help out, pro bono, because we love the game - and can give even more benefit as direct lines to the views of the average player and as testers, but right now the game is just going nowhere fast and feels like it's being maintained and developed by the same 4-man team who just don't have the man-hours to properly and massively expand and innovate to make ToR successful.

Edited by QuiQuaeQuod

I am willing to bet they will copy what Blizzard is doing now, at least if they are smart.

Implement their own add ons so they can regulate which ones players can use and not get flooded like WoW did.

But maybe there is a compromise solution.

In order to get an app in the iTunes app store, the app must be approved by Apple. Yes, there are thousands of apps out there that are not approved by Apple that are available but they only work on jail broken devices.

BioWare (and Blizzard for that matter) could do something similar. Allow anyone to submit an add-on for consideration, but it has to be approved by Bioware and made available on a specific page that BioWare controls.