Does anyone know why transfers / server merges take so long to implement ?

I really hope they can stop the rot soon.

Saying that does anyone know why it is going to take so long to sort out, i was thinking was it something to do with the legacy? or moving a whole guild name ?

Hey i would rename both as long as i could play with people :(

Anyone have any ideas why it is going to take so long ?

From what I hear, Legacy broke the transfer system they had waiting in the wings since beta, but I've not heard any confirmation at any rate. However, it does seem that issues with Legacies are what is causing the delay. Edited by princey

Transfers would have to move not only the character itself but deal with names, guild associations, legacy interactions with other characters on source & destination, and also UI to handle all of the same.

After all that, it needs to be 100% reliable, because it's dealing with the very data that represents your six months of time in the MMO. Not exactly something to rush out - oh oops I did a transfer and your character's appearance has corrupted etc.

However, since we saw manual transfers when the new sets of servers went live, I would imagine it's fairly close. Can't wait.

Because if you let anyone just transfer to any server they want most people will run to the heavy heavy servers and make it worse for everyone by clogging it up.

They have to look at the numbers, decide what servers can transfer to what servers without screwing up the pop..

Day is May 13 so you have maybe a month or so until you can transfer, that's not very long.

Edited by Dyvid

Really just incompetence is holding up the process. Even if they had to do our mergers like the Oceanic and do it by hand they could have gotten it all started by now. They are probably waiting for EA to say how completely ****ed they are and then they will take measures to start implementing it in June. Remember Bioware doesn't make the calls anymore, especially after May's investor call.

Here I go feeding the trolls again. Think I'd learn by now...

It is not incompetence, it is technical/staffing issues.

Legacy, wow what a pain that will be. When you have more than one character (char) in a legacy, how do you move one and keep it all sorted as they are all linked? What kind of programing glitches are going to occur? They have to sort this all out as much as possible beforehand because if they rush it and it all goes to crap, well, the whining around here will become deafaning. This is a "sort it out and line up your ducks" thing. Let them sort it out first. You would be glad they did.

Server pop will explode on many servers. Yes, it will. They have to come up with a way to manage the transfers so we dont end up on servers with massive pops and end up not being able to play at all. It takes time to come up with a good system to do this. You rush this, well, no one plays the game much at all. Sitting in a queue and waiting to play sucks, not interested. Remember launch? The queues you all complained about? Want a rerun? If it happened, you complaining about it would be the ones to blame because you had it rushed. If it happens after they have it properly ironed out, then it is their fault.

Both those things are dependant upon one major thing, staffing. So far, they have been working their behinds off trying to give more content/fixing bugs/doing support for players in the game. This is a massive undertaking, one I don't think most of you can really fathom. This game is like building a pyramid in ancient Egypt. It takes hundreds of people thousands of hours to make things work, and it all has to be organised properly or it will fall apart. Staffing is short, it allways will be. Oh, and the rumor about DA3 guys being pulled off that to work on TOR? Just a rumor, not fact. I know, cant say why, (not alowed) but there it is. EA is a corporation, they want to make money, minimal staff is the name of the game. Same for every company out there. They make due with what they have and carry on as best they can.

Now, I know this will not make any difference to the hard-core haters/trolls, but it may help some of the genuinely frustrated out there. I am among those, friends. I am stuck with my main on a crap server in a crap guild where no one is ever on and all they do is want you to help them with their quests but dont help you, etc. I have a new char on a new server that is in an awsome guild, and I want my main there NOW! Now now now now now! But alas, I have to wait. Argh!

Oh well. I would rather wait and have it done right (I hope) than rush it and end up losing my char to corrupt data or some such thing. Then I would have to wait for tech support/customer support to get to me and have it not fixed to my standards. Give it the time it needs, then complain if it is not up to snuff after that.

i guess they are going to incease max population on the servers after transfers cause they have to especulate how many players will be on that server on prime time cause maybe there is people still sub to this game and they have chars on the harbinder and they haven't played because they are waiting for updates or stuff like that so they have to increase a lot server population on the target servers so they can handle even more people

If it takes more then a month then were probably going to see another 300k-500k population drop.... I know for myself I love the game but spamming LFG for hours on end and getting nothing is becoming a problem.. I've been in 4 guilds and each one has died off with people leaving the game....

Bioware has made some huge mistakes with this game and nothing having a transfer system in place when the game went live is another one... Anyone that knows anything about MMO's knows that 2-3 months after the game launches you need to merge servers.... Happens to all MMO's.... them not having one is just another blunder on their part.... That and Bioware being stuborn about certain game issues like Global Chat

Once they merge, they admit something's wrong with the population.

Which means bad publicity.

Something that they won't admit to do since their ego-bar is so huge.

Edited by Samvan

Here I go feeding the trolls again. Think I'd learn by now...

It is not incompetence, it is technical/staffing issues.

Legacy, wow what a pain that will be. When you have more than one character (char) in a legacy, how do you move one and keep it all sorted as they are all linked? What kind of programing glitches are going to occur? They have to sort this all out as much as possible beforehand because if they rush it and it all goes to crap, well, the whining around here will become deafaning. This is a "sort it out and line up your ducks" thing. Let them sort it out first. You would be glad they did.

Server pop will explode on many servers. Yes, it will. They have to come up with a way to manage the transfers so we dont end up on servers with massive pops and end up not being able to play at all. It takes time to come up with a good system to do this. You rush this, well, no one plays the game much at all. Sitting in a queue and waiting to play sucks, not interested. Remember launch? The queues you all complained about? Want a rerun? If it happened, you complaining about it would be the ones to blame because you had it rushed. If it happens after they have it properly ironed out, then it is their fault.

Both those things are dependant upon one major thing, staffing. So far, they have been working their behinds off trying to give more content/fixing bugs/doing support for players in the game. This is a massive undertaking, one I don't think most of you can really fathom. This game is like building a pyramid in ancient Egypt. It takes hundreds of people thousands of hours to make things work, and it all has to be organised properly or it will fall apart. Staffing is short, it allways will be. Oh, and the rumor about DA3 guys being pulled off that to work on TOR? Just a rumor, not fact. I know, cant say why, (not alowed) but there it is. EA is a corporation, they want to make money, minimal staff is the name of the game. Same for every company out there. They make due with what they have and carry on as best they can.

Now, I know this will not make any difference to the hard-core haters/trolls, but it may help some of the genuinely frustrated out there. I am among those, friends. I am stuck with my main on a crap server in a crap guild where no one is ever on and all they do is want you to help them with their quests but dont help you, etc. I have a new char on a new server that is in an awsome guild, and I want my main there NOW! Now now now now now! But alas, I have to wait. Argh!

Oh well. I would rather wait and have it done right (I hope) than rush it and end up losing my char to corrupt data or some such thing. Then I would have to wait for tech support/customer support to get to me and have it not fixed to my standards. Give it the time it needs, then complain if it is not up to snuff after that.

YAY! A breath of sanity. Kudos to you.

I found myself numbers dropped after 1.2, and the 11th hour turnaround on the WZ's, at end game the warzones keep people busy, and numbers dwindled, servers started losing numbers then it seems.

Problems atm are friends i came here with from other MMO's non off us can find the will to log in during the day.

We show for raids, and get let down to numbers, recruiting more just is not a option.

i just hope it can be sorted sooner rather than later as i dont think there will be any servers to merge:confused:

Which just means, that whoever designed how legacy data is saved didnt design it with transfers in mind.

Sure, there's nothing they can do and they just have to bite the bullet. But it's not a "omg legacy so huge - that's difficult" problem but a major design department **** up.

I really hope they can stop the rot soon.

Saying that does anyone know why it is going to take so long to sort out, i was thinking was it something to do with the legacy? or moving a whole guild name ?

Hey i would rename both as long as i could play with people :(

Anyone have any ideas why it is going to take so long ?

In big companies, the higher-ups set up the agenda and the little guy is doing what he is told to do.

Server transfers weren't just on the agenda list.

If the little guy was in charge, the Server transfers would have been there as soon it became a visible problem.

Well thats how i think it is.

Which just means, that whoever designed how legacy data is saved didnt design it with transfers in mind.

Sure, there's nothing they can do and they just have to bite the bullet. But it's not a "omg legacy so huge - that's difficult" problem but a major design department **** up.

Not what I said, but you are entitled to your interpretation.

Its not that they didnt do it without thinking long term, but they have to do tranfers while preserving it. I think the legacy system is a great idea, but sometimes things turn out bigger than one can imagine. Ever look at a situation that started out small and seemed good at the time, and looked at the end result later and saw it become a huge monster of a problem that you cant believe grew from the original idea? You think "wow, what happened? I didnt think it would turn out this way. Now how do I fix this?" I can think of one, and it all has to do with interpreting a book...;)

Its not a screwup, its probably a great idea that is now looking like a bit of a hurdle. One that will be overcome in due time, as staffing and content building/bug fixes allow.

Hi there, Jabbathesloot!

We realize that server population is a very important topic of discussion with the Community right now. To help keep our forums better organized and feedback consolidated, we ask that you share any thoughts or concerns in the below existing thread, FREE Character Transfers are Coming.

Also, here is some additional information from Dallas Dickinson regarding the timing of server transfers from a recent Weekly Q&A:

Arymono: When will character transfers be available for everybody?

Dallas Dickinson (Senior Producer, Live Services): We will be rolling out our Character Transfer Service in early summer. First we’ll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice. We know everyone has more questions about character transfer, and we’ll reveal more details closer to the launch date.

Hope this helps! Thanks for your understanding.

Edited by Meluna