Allow Shield Chance to work against all attacks.

Tiresias

Tank stats do not work well in PvP -- this is a recognized and generally accepted fact of SWTOR. It is very unusual to find a tank who is actually kitted out in PvP tank gear since you can retain 85% of your PvP "tanking" effectiveness in DPS gear with a Shield Generator -- and the Shield Generator is there mostly to allow for tank-talent procs.

I recognize that allowing Defense to affect some abilities would impact several classes in far too negative a manner. Casters who suffer a 30% or more "resist" rate when attacking a tank may as well resign themselves to never actually being able to kill a tank in all but the most unusual PvP situations since they may get too many of their defensive abilities resisted to be able to open up to casting distance.

But Shielding is a different story. You need two stats to make it worthwhile: both shield chance and shield absorb. It still allows whatever ability it blocks to take effect since it's not considered a "miss". It makes sense as a PvP tank stat, and it would provide better protection from the OHKO's that occur occasionally in PvE.

Allow it to affect all incoming damage: melee/ranged, Tech/Force, DoT damage, and Guard damage. Strip out the "Defense" stat from PvP gear and replace it with Shield Chance and Absorb.

This will have several highly positive effects:

There will be a greater difference between PvP tank gear and PvP DPS gear. The tank gear will actually significantly improve a tank's survivability across the board, as opposed to only functioning well against a small subset of classes.

Tank talents will actually proc when fighting all classes, as opposed to only being effective against a small subset of classes.

Tanks will still be a viable target for everyone but will no longer be fodder to anything that predominantly uses Tech/Force attacks.

The ability to shield Guard damage will result in a marked difference in effectiveness between a tank in tank gear and a tank in DPS gear when guarding an ally.

This may not be the perfect solution to the problem, but is seems like a great compromise.

shield chance should only work against all types of attacks if the % chance to shield is lowered across the board.

tanks would literally become unkillable when paired with a competent healer.

I've already talked about how Guard needs to be adjusted in another thread. It is holding back both tanks and healers from feeling complete, largely because of how insanely strong it is.

The fact remains that tanks should be very difficult to kill, and they are... for certain classes. There needs to be more equality, and there needs to be a reason to tank tank gear into PvP.

shield chance should only work against all types of attacks if the % chance to shield is lowered across the board.

tanks would literally become unkillable when paired with a competent healer.

Some tanks already are pretty unkillable in said circumstances.

One of the many problems with this idea is that Assassins/Powertechs generally mitigate more damage via shielding than Juggernauts. Unless you think Juggernauts are currently mitigating too much damage compared to the other tanks, significant adjustments would have to be made to keep tank balance where it is now.

I'll only accept this buff if the damage each tank class can deal out is sub-standard to the lowest DPS tree in this game. Tired of seeing tank spec'd classes IN tanking gear destroy people due to high survivability and decently high damage output.

I'll only accept this buff if the damage each tank class can deal out is sub-standard to the lowest DPS tree in this game. Tired of seeing tank spec'd classes IN tanking gear destroy people due to high survivability and decently high damage output.

Uh... Which tank class would this be? And what kind of gear was the target wearing?

Tank DPS in tank gear is pitiful. However, due to the way the tank trees work their DPS in DPS gear is actually pretty darn good.

If you want to see fewer tanks dismantling isolated healers in less than 10 seconds you will support this change.

No. It would be incredibly overpowered, considering my assassin if i wear pvp tank gear has 50% chance to shield and 50% absorb, not to mention my 25k hp.

Game mechanics are FINE, and are like they are for a reason.